Unlimited access >

New to Fox Hunting - Question about Hirelings

Hello, I’ve read this forum for years but only recently just registered.

I would appreciate tips from anyone who has used hirelings on a fox hunt for the first time: things you wished you had known, etc.

For e.g.

Did you have to bring any tack?

Did you have to arrive early to braid manes?

Was the owner of the hireling present to give you any specific advice about handling that particular horse?

I read/see that a lot of people hit their horses during a hunt for discipline or for jumping. I do not do that to my own horse and I feel uncomfortable doing it to someone else’s horse I’m hiring. What do you think?

Someone told me I should bring my own stirrup leathers and stirrups in case the hired tack isn’t of the right length.

Please share your experiences and stories on use of hirelings. Thank you!

I hired a horse for my first hunt from Hunter’s Rest, had a great experience. If you are hiring a horse from a place like that where they are accustomed to bringing out newbie foxhunters, they will have all the tack for you. Just bring yourself and be ready to groom and tack up. Some places, though (like Pleasant Prospect in MD, also a great place), will do all the prep for you if you pay for it. I did not hunt with PP, but at both places I had a chance to ride the horse before going on any kind of excursion. Generally the horse owner/barn manager will want to make sure you will be safe in company before turning you loose.

With other owners (I have borrowed horses from many!) it was more of an informal arrangement. For some I had to bring my own saddle, others had a saddle I could use. For these it was pretty much they told me when they needed to leave to get to the meet on time, and it was my responsibility to have the horse clean and ready to step on the trailer.

Probably the most challenging thing I encountered this fall (my first season hunting) was figuring out how to avoid getting my clothes super dirty pre-hunt. My magic formula: I prefer to arrive with all my hunting clothes on (except for jacket and tall boots). I have a jacket and sweatpants on top to keep clean while grooming my horse, and boots that I don’t mind getting dirty. Then at the last possible moment (less time to get dirty), I take off my top layers and switch to tall boots. I put on my hunting jacket last, after I unload the horse from the trailer.

Re: using a crop–certainly not a requirement, but you just need to use whatever aids you need to ride your horse safely and not be in other people’s way. If your legs and seat are all the aids you need, so much the better!

Thank you so much collegialequestrian! Wearing something that can get dirty beforehand is definitely the best practical advice I’ve heard so far. Super thanks!

Collegialequestrian sums it up well. I’ve only hired from Hunter’s Rest, but I would guess that most who hire out their horses would prefer that you ride in their tack to ensure that the saddle fits the horse. Arranging to ride the horse prior to hunting is certainly wise, too.

I’ve leased a horse by the hunt. He has his own assigned tack, but I carry a lot of different padding options in the trailer as my guys change shape throughout the season. I tell people they’re welcome to bring their own saddle, girth, etc and use it if we can get it to fit him well. Otherwise, they’ll have to use mine (which is X size, tree, and brand).

The main places you might have trouble are if you need a different seat size or length of stirrup leather.

[QUOTE=Hinderella;7981907]
Collegialequestrian sums it up well. I’ve only hired from Hunter’s Rest, but I would guess that most who hire out their horses would prefer that you ride in their tack to ensure that the saddle fits the horse. Arranging to ride the horse prior to hunting is certainly wise, too.[/QUOTE]

Have always found owners/trainers prefer their tack tho they may let you use your saddle if you ride in it first for them to see the fit.

I do hirelings.
I all but insist on my tack. Every horse in my care (20’ish) has his or her own saddle, girth, pad, bridle and accessories that are custom fit and custom selected for THEM.
If someone insists on ‘trying’ their own saddle I of course allow them to bring it to ‘try’ but it is a .00001 percent chance your saddle will fit my very valuable (to and to riders!) horse better than their own custom saddle will!
Where you’ve heard ‘horror stories’ about ‘crappy tack’ is in Ireland in big big big hireling barns. There, it is suggested you take your own leathers and stirrups if not reins and maybe even a whole bridle.
That said, I rode 2 weeks over there last year - granted stayed with/rode with a master, so it wasn’t hirelings, exactly. The tack was fine/normal, and we cleaned our own daily so I could see that it was all in fine repair.
I have many extra saddles to fit a person better on my horses if I get an especially tall/big/small person.

• Oh, and unless it’s a High Holy Day, it is rare in the US to braid.
    If it was a high holy day, that is included in your hireling price. I do 8-10 plaits, and it takes me 20 minutes per horse. If a rider wishes to help they may, but it needs to be that length of time or else I’ll do it for you.
  • Of course the owner is ‘present’. In my case, I take you - I am your concierge, your trainer, your hunting groom, your tour guide. The horses are my working partners - I wouldn’t dream of just ‘sending them out’, especially with a newbie.
  • There is no time in which I will allow a rider to carry a whip on my horses. If mine kick out (which they Won’t, but you never say never) you will discipline the horse with your spanking hand (and a lot of it.) But no newbie carries a stick. Nor wears spurs for that matter. When you can do posting trot with no stirrups cross country for a half hour, then and only then will I let someone wear spurs on the one horse in my barn that could use it!
  • Hopefully, you’re getting a clear picture that there are ‘hirelings’ then there are ‘hirelings.’ I only have a few, and am protective of my co-workers. In Ireland (for example) they have dozens and dozens and the horses are young and thicker-skinned.
  • Oh, and unless it’s a High Holy Day, it is rare in the US to braid.
    If it was a high holy day, that is included in your hireling price. I do 8-10 plaits, and it takes me 20 minutes per horse. If a rider wishes to help they may, but it needs to be that length of time or else I’ll do it for you.
  • Of course the owner is ‘present’. In my case, I take you - I am your concierge, your trainer, your hunting groom, your tour guide. The horses are my working partners - I wouldn’t dream of just ‘sending them out’, especially with a newbie.
  • There is no time in which I will allow a rider to carry a whip on my horses. If mine kick out (which they Won’t, but you never say never) you will discipline the horse with your spanking hand (and a lot of it.) But no newbie carries a stick. Nor wears spurs for that matter. When you can do posting trot with no stirrups cross country for a half hour, then and only then will I let someone wear spurs on the one horse in my barn that could use it!
  • Hopefully, you’re getting a clear picture that there are ‘hirelings’ then there are ‘hirelings.’ I only have a few, and am protective of my co-workers. In Ireland (for example) they have dozens and dozens and the horses are young and thicker-skinned.

I’ve leased hirelings in VA/MA/IL as well as borrowed friends’ horses to hunt. I’ve never brought a saddle as their’s is inevitably better quality than mine, and fits that horse. I have occasionally brought stirrups/leathers when borrowing a friend’s horse since I have nice jointed stirrups, and my legs are too short for their leathers without punching extra holes.

Never had to braid as I don’t usually go out on high holy days.

The owner is always present, if not for the whole hunt, then at least to give instruction before you mount. For my own comfort, I usually try to take a lesson or go out on a trail ride with the owner and the hireling at least once before the hunt. The only times I’ve ridden a horse for the first time while hunting is if I’ve been riding regularly with the owner on their other horses, so I’m familiar with the owner’s riding preferences and the horse’s reputation.

HR’s version is certainly the way to go.

I did once hire a horse in Aiken, 20+ years ago when I was there on business, and the owner had the horse clean, tacked, ready to go…and loaded horse in trailer and I drove the rig to and from the meet, and cleaned and put the horse away after, as this gentleman had pressing business elsewhere. Trusting soul, but then he knew it wasn’t my first rodeo.

Hello, I’m updating my post for the benefit of other newbies who might be reading:

I finally went cub hunting twice in northern Virginia. (I live in another state). The hireling was a wonderful, safe, seasoned horse. The owner did everything and tack, grooming, trailering, etc was included in the hireling fee. I felt I was spoiled and I was immensely grateful to everyone. I realize that there are as many kinds of hireling practices are there are owners, so it really varies, but I couldn’t have hoped for a better initiation. I look forward to doing and learning more. I learned to ride as an adult, and I don’t show. I learned everything from scratch with very little help as I didn’t know anyone living near me who fox hunted. So if anyone is thinking of going into fox hunting and has doubts/questions please private message me on this board, I would love to help. There are ways to make it affordable.

1 Like