Unlimited access >

New to Southern California

Heyyy,

So I am moving to Orange County in June, and am looking for a pretty chill facility. I don’t really know anyone in CA, so the task of moving my OTTB and starting a new life there is pretty daunting. If I could get any and all recommendations, or information on barns to stay out of that would be so cool. I do ride English, but I’m not entirely interested in competing at this point. My dude likes to go out on the trails, but we also love to flat work (or rather I enjoy flat work, he’s not a fan) and jumping for kicks. If anyone could give me any points in the right direction, that would be wonderful. Thanks!

Welcome to SoCal! I left Orange County many years ago, but I have many fond memories.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by a “pretty chill” facility? Like, not crowded, not show-focused, nice people, cheap, not too many rules…? What flavor “chill” are you going for?

Also, Orange County is pretty big (well, maybe not BIG, but it can feel that way during rush hour ;)) if you want to specify your location preferences a bit more. At least like north county/south county.

What city are you moving to (if you know yet)? That may dictate some of the places I would steer you towards. Just off the top of my head, I would say Peacock Hill Equestrian Center in Irvine Park since it’s Central County. There are many English trainer options and it is probably one of the better large facilities for “real” trail access. I can point you to some trainers there if you’re interested.

If you’re going to be in South County, well you’ve got a few options in San Juan Capistrano. Lake Forest has two facilities (including Santiago here even though it’s the Canyon) that both can access Whiting Ranch for trails. Maybe Coto de Caza (Real Housewives was originally filmed here, for reference).

Central/North county- Huntington Beach has a large facility and has limited trail access. Anaheim has a couple boarding facilities with trail access to the bike paths on the riverbed (not gonna lie…these aren’t completely horse friendly and I don’t know if you would find it too inviting). Oh Anaheim Hills facility backs to a solid trail system.

I am in Orange Park Acres. If you don’t want to be with a trainer in a big facility, there are options to board in a backyard here or private barns, Nellie Gail, San Juan, the Canyon areas, some spots still in Yorba Linda and down in the Back Bay in Newport Beach. Some of these areas still have community arenas and trail access. Just depends on what kind of trail you like riding.

Equestrian access and facilities are really limited in OC. And turn out is almost non-existent. Mostly pipe stalls and dry lots on very limited acreage. As long as you are prepared for that, you should be ok.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I’ve lived here with horses my whole life. Hopefully the collective SoCal COTH community can point you in the right direction.

Idaho to OC will be some culture shock, but your horse may acclimate better than you! Be open minded… as mentioned above, you are city-boarding for the most part which means limited to no turnout, no grazing (this is a desert with a lot of sprinklers to disguise that fact) and small horse homes. It really does work though.

A
good resource is the Southern California Equestrian Directory. http://socalequine.com/aboarding/
There are a lot of boarding places you may find there that you wouldn’t find otherwise.

Be sure you DRIVE the distance between work/home/barn at the times of day you will usually be traveling before you commit to a place to board. What looks close on a map may be very difficult with traffic… and sometimes things that look far apart actually work OK with a short toll road trip, side street route, etc.

The bad is that board is pricey and quarters are tight. The good is great weather, flies but very few bugs, and lots of horseyplaces and people and events to enjoy.

Thank you so much for the reply and the info. I’ve actually only lived in Idaho for six months. I’m originally from Washington state. It will def be a change from what I’m used to, but I’m adaptable, and so far, my guy is too.

[QUOTE=Cita;8632428]
Welcome to SoCal! I left Orange County many years ago, but I have many fond memories.

Can you be more specific about what you mean by a “pretty chill” facility? Like, not crowded, not show-focused, nice people, cheap, not too many rules…? What flavor “chill” are you going for?

Also, Orange County is pretty big (well, maybe not BIG, but it can feel that way during rush hour ;)) if you want to specify your location preferences a bit more. At least like north county/south county.[/QUOTE]

Hi! Thank you for the reply. I’m moving to Irvine. I don’t necessarily need to be at a big farm with a trainer. I’m just looking for a smaller place, with other people to ride with. Nice people would be nice :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Cita;8632428]

Also, Orange County is pretty big (well, maybe not BIG, but it can feel that way during rush hour ;)) if you want to specify your location preferences a bit more. At least like north county/south county.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the reply and the info. I’ve actually only lived in Idaho for six months. I’m originally from Washington state. It will def be a change from what I’m used to, but I’m adaptable, and so far, my guy is too.

[QUOTE=Miss Motivation;8632505]
Idaho to OC will be some culture shock, but your horse may acclimate better than you! Be open minded… as mentioned above, you are city-boarding for the most part which means limited to no turnout, no grazing (this is a desert with a lot of sprinklers to disguise that fact) and small horse homes. It really does work though.

A
good resource is the Southern California Equestrian Directory. http://socalequine.com/aboarding/
There are a lot of boarding places you may find there that you wouldn’t find otherwise.

Be sure you DRIVE the distance between work/home/barn at the times of day you will usually be traveling before you commit to a place to board. What looks close on a map may be very difficult with traffic… and sometimes things that look far apart actually work OK with a short toll road trip, side street route, etc.

The bad is that board is pricey and quarters are tight. The good is great weather, flies but very few bugs, and lots of horseyplaces and people and events to enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I’m pretty new to forums lol… This reply was for you. Thank you so much for the reply and the info. I’ve actually only lived in Idaho for six months. I’m originally from Washington state. It will def be a change from what I’m used to, but I’m adaptable, and so far, my guy is too.