new to the group, coping with life altering injury

Hey everyone,
My name is Amy and I’m a recent addition to the riders with disability group. I am writing you all after the recommendation of friends from other COTH groups.

Last July I had a wicked horse related accident and I am still recovering. I was trampled (total freak accident) and spent four days in the hospital. From this injury, I now have permanent damage to my right hand. I only have 60% use, but still consider myself very blessed since there were discussions of amputating my hand.

Anyway, because of the permanent damage only being to my hand and wrist, with some complications to arm and shoulder, I never considered myself as a rider with a disability. I always felt it was unfair to call myself that since so many people have much worse.

I was just hoping for some suggestions to make my riding easier and feeling comfortable on a horse. I can’t grip reins very well with that hand and they slip through my hands on a regular basis. I’m only walking and trotting (due to my own insecurities with reins) right now. My horse didn’t do well when I tried only holding reins in left hand and neck reining. He got confused and mentally shut down (just refused to walk or trot-he’s a bit over protective of me now post injury).

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggesting that could make riding easier for me? The nerve damage to my hand also makes it really uncomfortable at times as well.

Thanks in advance! P.S. I ride English. Used to be a hunter/jumper and was going to start eventing pre-injury.

Two suggestions: One is that you look into loop reins; there was a thread here some time ago: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-231389.html

Second is that you see if there is a good Therapeutic Riding program near you in Virginia; they can help you improve within your current constraints, which will make it easier to communicate with your current horse. Spirit Open Equestrian is in Herndon; even if they aren’t near you they can probably give you a recommendation if you need help, and some suggestions. Para-equestrian competitions are becoming more commonplace.

Actually a third idea also: Consider a dressage trainer - ideally to ride your horse some and also give you longe line lessons. Over time it will improve your seat and teach you how to do more of the work with your body and legs rather than with the reins.

I wish you luck, and hope that you keep posting w/ updates.

I was going to link to that thread as well. Lots of good suggestions and links.

[QUOTE=2tempe;7434653]
Two suggestions: One is that you look into loop reins; there was a thread here some time ago: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-231389.html

Second is that you see if there is a good Therapeutic Riding program near you in Virginia; they can help you improve within your current constraints, which will make it easier to communicate with your current horse. Spirit Open Equestrian is in Herndon; even if they aren’t near you they can probably give you a recommendation if you need help, and some suggestions. Para-equestrian competitions are becoming more commonplace.

Actually a third idea also: Consider a dressage trainer - ideally to ride your horse some and also give you longe line lessons. Over time it will improve your seat and teach you how to do more of the work with your body and legs rather than with the reins.

I wish you luck, and hope that you keep posting w/ updates.[/QUOTE]

I second all of this. If you can’t find those reins, or can’t afford them, or whatever, you could try tying a knot in an old pair of reins to give you something a little bigger to hold onto. Do you have full sensation in the hand, but lack grip? (I ask because I have decreased sensation and decreased grip strength in my right hand. I find that I can’t wear gloves, because then I really can’t feel whatever it is I’m trying to hold or pick up.) If you do have full sensation, could you try grippy gloves of some kind? Maybe grippy gloves and rubber reins to add some extra friction. I do think the loop reins would be very helpful for you.

A hippo-therapy place would be great, because they’ll be able to have you do exercises to increase range of motion and flexibility. Additionally, if your horse is picking up on your nerves a little bit, and wanting to protect you, it might be good to ride one of their horses a couple times so that you get comfortable with riding with your limited hand function.

Did you have occupational therapy when the accident first occurred? Did they give you exercises to work on at home?

Just throwing out another suggestion for you, but have you considered a temporary / experimental switch to say, reining or western hunter - where you ride one handed?

Also I would look up Georgia Bruce from Australia. She rode in Beijing in the 2008 Para Olympics for Australia. Given her disability, she may have some good advice for you. Georgia is very down to earth and a lovely person. I highly recommend having a chat with her.

Thanks everyone! This is all great advice.

Sarah 616- I do have loss of sensation and nerve damage (as well as loss of grip) but have to wear gloves. The nerves have negatively affected my circulation so temps under 50 degrees actually cause the circulation to the hand to cut off. It causes extreme pain. I tried thin gloves with rubber grips but my hands got cold so I bought these bulky gloves by Heritage called Extreme Winter Gloves. I can add a heat pack/hand warmer to a zipper pouch.

I have not seen or heard of the loop reins. If someone could explain those or show me a picture that would be greatly appreciated.

I was in Occupational Therapy July-October until I lost my insurance (couldn’t afford COBRA being out of work). Between surgery, ambulance, 4 days in hospital and OT, the medical bills mounted too much to pay out of pocket. They did lots of work and were great about exercises that could help me around the horse. One of the PTs at that facility is an equestrian so she explained techniques to my hand therapists. I actually need another surgery but no job and no insurance make that impossible right now.

As far as the therapeautic riding programs, I never thought about that. They have such long waiting lists locally but maybe a brief chat with an instructor could give me pointers. I’m trying to get my horse leased out for financial reasons so then maybe I can resume lessons.

Old Mac Donald- I never thought of completely switching disciplines like that. I don’t mind western, but it is soooooooo much harder to keep my bum deep in a saddle since I’ve ridden english so much. My horse would be fine in a western saddle but he doesn’t understand the one handed riding. I think I’d need a school master to try that.

Click on the thread in the first reply. There are many links in there to loop reins that include photos.

http://www.freedomrider.com/Reins-Adaptive-Adjustable-Handle-Rein-Bows-Loops.html

Very clear picture here of what they look like.

Whether you switch to western or dressage, both require keeping butt in the saddle, lol. You will also become much more proficient at riding horse off your legs and seat, reducing the reliance/dependence on rein aids.
You clearly have enough riding knowledge to tackle this. Good longe line lessons will have you not using reins at all, but arms up, out, circling etc The 2-point thinking will be conquered.

Western may be the best way for you to go…if it’s something your horse may not do…perhaps it’s time to get a horse trained in that world.

Remember, classic balanced seat western riding is darn identical to dressage (well, good balanced and good dressage). Butt in the saddle should be universal.

Might be time to get a shorter horse to ride too! Easier on and off and a western saddle has the horn to make the transition up/down easier and more secure.

There’s also gaited/western riding (I have a gaited mule who goes western…never was a western rider but they don’t really make english saddles that fit a lot of mules…so, western he goes).

I saw a girl riding in a clinic at Equine Affaire a few years ago who was actually missing part of her right arm. She had something attached to her arm with a clip on the end of it, and her reins were modified so she could attach the clip with her good hand. She was jumping beautiful 3’ hunter courses in the clinic, you couldn’t tell anything was different until you saw her unclip the rein between courses. The disadvantage was that she couldnt adjust the length of that rein, so the horse was usually bent a bit to the right, and I have no idea what kind of safety measures were involved should she fall off. Obviously it would have taken time and the right horse to make that work. My point in all this is I’m sure you can find some kind of modification that will work for you and your horse, it might just take some trial and error. And like the others said, having a conversation with a theraputic riding instructor, or a paraequestrian might help put you on the right path. Good Luck!

I had a trailering accident which resulted in losing part of my left hands’ middle finger tip. I can no longer give anyone the finger lol. My hand still gets sore two years later, but I’m right handed. My horse was good about letting me climb on 3 weeks later and riding with one hand. I use rubber reins from Distance Depot and they’re quite grippy. I think everyone has given you excellent suggestions. My concern is that you can’t get the rest of the surgery you need , can’t you go on Medicaid? Or obamacare?
Anyhow, I’m sorry that you are going you through this. I hope your horse gets used to you riding the way you will need to for your own comfort and safety. Good luck in your healing!

ladder reins might be a good choice for you as well.

for the OP, I am sorry about your injury and frustrations with getting back to riding. While its no where near as severe, I lost the tips of my middle finger and ring finger on my right hand and rode one handed (on my saintly and very calm horse) for awhile and really doubted at first that I could ride “well” [or at least pick up where I left off].

you have gotten great practical advice above. I will only add that given the amount of time since the accident and the severity of your injury, most likely you are still recovering and can still improve - so dont assume that your current status is permanent. if/when you can, more PT to get more mobility and strength could help.

and please post back here. its a tough journey, and not easy emotionally. talking to others who had been thru something similar really helped me.

I admire your spirit. And don’t worry about posting in the disabled forum. I think my hip bursitis qualifies me and of course it’s nothing to what uou and others are experiencing.
If you find reins that will help you but finances get in the way, please PM me.

If I were your instructor I’d start by trying to build up your rein a bit - make it thicker somehow. I’ve seen the foam bicycle handlebar covers used for this, or wrapping with vetwrap (how much more obvious could you make it!). A friend who is rehabbing a badly broken wrist right now holds a thick handled dressage whip in her bad hand and that’s all she needs to do - that could be a goal down the line for you, maybe. I would watch and see how much/how often you need to shorten your reins, because that would help me decide whether to make a fixed build-up like vetwrap or something that might slide a bit, like a bike handlebar cover. Personally, I’d see how you did without the loop reins because the one drawback to those is your rein lengths come in increments, without a lot of subtlety. Same with ladder reins; great for someone who needs them, sort of a PITA if you don’t. And as others have said, I’d probably also strongly recommend you work on your seat and build a new vocabulary with your horse, so that you can use your rein less and your other aids more. It’s amazing how we rely on our hands for things when we can, without realizing there are often other effective ways to communicate the same thing. I’ll keep thinking.

I don’t know if this would help or not, depends on how small your grip can get and what would help make it more comfortable- but I just purchased a pair of Wintec rubber reins. They’re much ‘puffier’ and softer than regular rubber lined reins, purchased them for someone who has large long fingers and can’t close effectively around a laced or regular rein. The other rein that has worked is a wide paracord braided rein, braided flat. It’s well over an inch in width, and not braided too tight so that it flexes nicely. Braided paracord reins could also be made with a double thickness to the hand part to make gripping easier.

I teach a rider who has one hand. She has ridden and shown through third level and has managed a double bridle!

She is currently on her young horse, riding in a snaffle, using a really cool devise that connects normal reins to one another with a short rubber grip, like a bicycle handlebar cover. You adjust it to be where you’d want the reins to be he’d for a working length, and the rest of the reins are still available to hold between the devise and the buckle. It’s perfect…I will email her now and find out where she got it. I bet it would help you a ton!

Your horse sounds like a wonderful fellow, maybe think about this as an opportunity to teach him some new cues. Stopping and turning when cued by your weight and legs for a start. He can do it and so can you!! I find round rope reins easy to hold, even when my hands are numb. and check out Obamacare know one can be turned down for an existing condition. Stay strong.

Ok: the name of the shop who made the one-hand riding rein atachement is : Mulryan saddlery. My student says they are great to work with.
www.mulryansaddlery.com
Hope this helps!

This product (bar reins) is made for a one handed, or one armed rider :slight_smile:

This might be helpful in terms of insurance in Virginia. It’s slightly dated, but could give you a place to start.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/how-to-buy-insurance-under-obamacare-if-you-live-in-virginia/2013/09/16/7cd2430e-18bc-11e3-8685-5021e0c41964_story.html

That handlebar device sounds really neat and quite useful.

Best of luck to you, OP.