New to this world

Disclaimermy doctors know I ride, I am always wearing protective equipment in the barn, I am always in visual distance from someone when around a horse, I am very in tune with my body and would never ride when feeling sick, and my various therapists say they notice a significant improvement in my body after riding and think it helps. I’m primarily looking for help to ease the pain and soften the landings when in the saddle a long time/jumping and when my arthritis acts up and makes it difficult to get a good grip. Thanks!

Hello all,

I was born with spina bifida (L4-S5) and had a number of surgeries and live in the therapy clinic but have always been remarkably ambulatory and beyond pain and some internal issues, was perfectly capable of riding and it was encouraged as therapy. I was then diagnosed with epilepsy at 12 and have snuck around riding for the past 12 years, medicated and with excess precautions. Achieved considerable success in the pony, junior, and now adult rings.

I have now been diagnosed with lupus and and a whole host of wonderful symptoms - the usual derm issues, arthritis, stress fractures CONSTANTLY, a bunch of blood disorders, every cardiopulmonary condition you can imagine, chronic kidney disease, and a variety of systemic issues. We’re working hard on getting me on the right meds for my conditions, but the pain is a constant and unlikely to be lessened given I’ve been on every drug possible.

After all that, I’ll get to the point! I need recommendations for gear to make life more bearable in the saddle. I’m a GP level training show jumper but compete in the 1.4m classes right now in uni. I also do the high performance and working hunters. It is being increasingly unbearable to sit in the saddle for very long so a half pad is needed for my comfort; horse couldn’t care less. I also need stirrups that have more cushion or more give coming down from jumps. I’ve tried the flexi ones and they are too unstable for my ultra flexed ankles. Saddle and reins? Are there good grippy options for when the arthritis hits my hands hard and my hips don’t feel like being too secure?

I’m looking for quality products but am on a budget so need things that can be used in both the hunter and jumper rings.

So that’s tips on tack and riding methods for a newby-lupus-girl
Saddle
Reins
Stirrups
Half pad
Etc.

Thanks!

No idea, I just wanted to say sorry for all you have been through. It sounds very dangerous to me so I hope a good helmet and vest are part of your equipment.

My thinline half pad does seem to reduce the concussion on me, the rider, as well as the horse. They also make reins and stirrup iron pads, but I haven;t personally tried those.

eidyn, you’re one gutsy person.

As far as finding a saddle, your best bet will be to work with a good fitter who can make recommendations, and try a bunch to see what works for you and your horse. It has to be right for both of you, or you’ll both wind up miserable. A ThinLine pad may help as well; I know quite a few people who say they really help with concussion and make them (and their horses) more comfortable. They make stirrup wraps, too. Laser Saddlery is also producing a line of saddles with the ThinLine material in the seat, panels and knee pads, but I have no experience with their fit or effectiveness.

Over on the Hunter-Jumper board, they’re discussing half pads right now and many have mentioned that Thinline isn’t what is helping them. Ecogold, Ogilvy, Cashel, EquineLux, and Equifit among others have been mentioned as better options. Any experience? I need something that really cushions without giving bounce. My horse has a fair amount of suspension and once the spring/summer season starts here, I usually catch ride a bit so I need something that works with any type of horse mover.

I think it’s something you’ll have to experiment with. I know people who prefer the Mattes pads to the ThinLines, some who prefer open-cell foam (like the Skito pads) … the list goes on. I do know that the ThinLines do help with concussion for the horse, and have had people tell me they make the rider more comfortable as well.

Another rather surprising thing that people say helps - at least for back issues - are serge panels on the saddle.

I always recommend Cashel cushions for my bad backed friends but they also make a wonderful seat saver of foam called a Tush Cush. Use both to reduce concussion. Cheaper than a new saddle! :wink: And we aren’t talking wimpy foam here either. They also make wonderful foam foot pads for your english stirrups that help. I’ve used it all…really helps! Good luck!

[QUOTE=wateryglen;7379505]
I always recommend Cashel cushions for my bad backed friends but they also make a wonderful seat saver of foam called a Tush Cush. Use both to reduce concussion. Cheaper than a new saddle! :wink: And we aren’t talking wimpy foam here either. They also make wonderful foam foot pads for your english stirrups that help. I’ve used it all…really helps! Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thank you, that’s brilliant. I know I’ll have to try a few types, but buying 10 different half pads, most having to be shipped internationally, is not in my budget atm. It’s nice to be able to start with a brand.

Hi Eidyn,

I’m sending you a p.m. as this saddle comfort issue is a reason that I was one of the 3 founders of this forum. (I have broken my back more than a few times) If you are in the U.S., I suggest that you consider contacting Annette Gavin, British independent saddle fitter at Hastilow saddles, about the prolite shock absorbing foam. It was used by the British London Olympic team as a secret weapon for both horse and rider. It is similar to the medical poron foam used in orthopedics and orthotics. There are saddle pads and seat savers, and the Fairfax girth, as well as saddles made with it. Annette works with para-equestrians regularly and does academic research work.

I’ve found the wide stirrups with shock pads very helpful. I have also borrowed from the endurance community for their 100 mile stirrups that have a shock absorber at the top of the stirrup. You may find those useful for practice. You will have to see what accomodations you can get for your competitions.

[URL=“http://www.hastilowusa.com”]www.hastilowusa.com