Unlimited access >

New Wound Care Technique

Couple weeks ago I saw a real cool new technique for taking care of wounds that will not close. It came from the human side of medicine. With the advent of more advanced diagnostic machines, this company sends a kit to you vet to get a small piece of flesh from the wound. From it, they can do a readout of the multitude of bacterias that are keeping the infected joint and/or wound open on the patient. Very different from culturing. You do not clean the area or scrape. You snip and ship. They then create a custom anti-biotic for the joint. I was blown away.
They were sending back DNA typed bacteria readouts for NINE bacterias!!! So rather than shooting in the dark with a single antibiotic that may or may not work, they are refining the approach. To me this is exciting because I have seen to many great horses over the years succumb to infections that have permeated the joints.

Do you have a link to a website?

Ridiculous! By taking a sample that way, every germ floating around the barn will show up. Most are not pathenogenic.

Cultures need to be take from the area of infection using aseptic technique (as mich as possible) to identify which germ is actually causing the infection. Any sample that came into a lab with that many bacteria would be considered “contaminated”.

Guess this is another website hoping the animal owner doesn’t know a thing about microbiology. And most don’t.