Unlimited access >

New young duck

Shelter where I work had a young Pekin admitted today so, yeah, he came home with me. Not feathered out yet, still yellow. Fed him layer crumbles and put him in safe yard with 2 mature Pekins and 2 aged hens but have him inside a small dog crate so hens can not peck him. Advice wanted:

1. How and when to integrate with the others
  2. Correct food for this little guy?
    Whoever had him was feeding him that multicolored seeds that people give parakeets.
1 Like

He should be getting chick starter/grower or duck starter/grower if your area carries it. I would not feed layer for long, regardless. Too much calcium. If you only have chick starter, give him some frozen peas every day or some brewer’s yeast if you have it, for the niacin.

Rule of thumb is when they’re about the same size as the adults. If he’s in the crate with the other ducks, by the time he’s big enough you can just go ahead and let him out.

3 Likes

I second the addition of Niacin. He’ll need that to grow. Our farm store has a vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic supplement you could put in his water for a few days since his seed diet was obviously not great.

I wouldn’t leave him in the crate for long. He won’t develop bones, tendons and ligaments correctly. He needs to be out walking. The other ducks are likely to accept him since they see him in the crate. As long as he has enough room to get out of their way, I’d put him out as soon as possible. My ducks have never been aggressive, mostly just curious. My ducks learned that chickens rule right away. It’s pretty funny to see a just barely feathered chick chasing a 12 pound Muscovy drake.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. Weather turned cold so I put my seed starting heat mat in the crate, I don’t have a heat lamp anymore. Heading to feed store for better food.

1 Like

That’s interesting to know! I don’t personally keep ducks, but a lot of people I know do; they’re simply too wet for my taste.

Got the duck starter at TSC and borrowed a heat lamp, it’s 41 and raining here. He (she?) REALLY wants to be with the big ducks.

2 Likes

Duck starter is perfect! I’m glad you found a heat lamp, he’ll be glad for the extra heat. It’s heading to the 30’s here and raining. Icky.

Ducks are wonderfully social, poor little spud, I’m sure he’ll be fretting until he gets out with the big ducks. Maybe we’ll get some nice weather and you can try an introduction soon. They’ll probably poke him a few times to make sure he knows who’s boss, then they’ll be a flock.

1 Like

They do make a huge mess. One hen bathing can empty a 10 gallon cement tub in about 8 minutes. 3 hens in the same tub, 1 minute to empty and the water can fly 10 feet. Ducks know how to have fun.

3 Likes

If the weather is better tomorrow I will give them some supervised time together.

Since it is still fuzzy- only let it have about 5minutes in a shallow water pan because they are not water proof until feathers come in. If they are with Mama her oil rubs off on them and they can be in water longer and then brood and warm up under her- but without her they can get water logged quickly and get sick. Give them a waterer instead of a pan because of this. I wouldn’t introduce them to the adults until it is bigger-they can be nasty, especially with no Mom hen to protect it. When it gets bigger and has it’s feathers coming in- then if you have a hen that on the lower side of the pecking order- that would be a better companion at first. That way they can bond and she can teach it the way things are in your flock.

2 Likes

My drakes were aggressive with my hens. They would push them in the water trough when they were perched on the edge. Then they would hold them under while mating. Not good. I got rid of the ducks.

1 Like

So sad! I’ve not had that problem. My drakes have always been more respectful. I’ve only had Dutch Hookbills and Muscovy. I’ve probably been lucky. I’ve always had a very low number of drakes to hens, maybe my boys are too tired. :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Had a good few days with putting him in a separate run alongside the two other ducks and the two chickens. He doesn’t take his eyes off the big ducks, but stopped the distress calls. Still keeping him in dog crate inside coop when I lock all up for the night.
Bit of a setback today. Found him this morning okay but with a bloody back of neck. Finally figured out tonight he must have been sticking his head out and the chickens were nailing him. Oh the guilt. Worried about him all day at work and rushed home. I think he will be okay but I blocked the sides of the crate with small storm windows. Aaargh I won’t be able to relax for a few days…

I’m glad he’s/she’s stopped distress calling, you’re on the right track.

Please don’t feel guilty, I’ve experienced enough guilt over the years for both of us :relaxed: :worried:. Just when I think I’ve got things figured out - some one does something like stick their head into the fenced dog yard. My vet is a saint for seeing my big not too friendly goose, cleaning up her bill and letting me know bills bleed a lot and she’d heal. Oh the guilt - I should have put chicken wire on the outside of the dog yard so nobody could stick their heads in - three acres for birds to roam safely - years of trouble free coexistence - then bam a bitten bill - still feel guilty.

It’s impossible to think of all the crazy things they’ll do. It’s all a balancing act, just like the horses, we can’t put them in a padded plastic bubble.

1 Like

@baybrio thank you. I do feel a little better today, Duckie was acting good this morning. It’s been a long time since I had such a young animal on the farmette. You are so right about “crazy things they’ll do”. We all just try to constantly “anticipate”. Can’t wait for this guy to get bigger and safer!

Ducks grow so fast you’ll be able to relax in no time.

1 Like