Unlimited access >

Newb Question - filling out entry forms

Hi All!

I have a dressage show coming up (USDF rated) and it will be my first since living in the US, hoping someone can help me with completing the entry form. If you don’t have a regular trainer (I do clinics but don’t have a full-time trainer) - who do you put in the ‘Trainer’ section of the form? Am I able to put myself (in addition to being the owner and rider)? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks all!

For the purpose of USDF, trainer is the person responsible for horse care and coach is for what most people refer to as a trainer. It is fine to put yourself down for all.

Since I handle all medications and supplements for my horse, my trainer is only willing to be a coach. I believe if a horse ever test positive for banned substance, the trainer is held responsible and can get banned while the coach is not since they have not accepted responsibility for the horse.

6 Likes

Yes you can put yourself down as trainer.

2 Likes

I am always all 3 and don’t put in a coach.

2 Likes

Great, thank you!!!

the USEF rule book applies here. The question was answered correctly,

Trainer is defined as that person having care and control of the horse while on show grounds. That is you.

If your" coach" is not going to be at the show coaching/ teaching you, you do not put their name down as coach.

if they are present but not helping you, you do not put them down

Only if they are going to be on the ground and advising you, do they sign as coach, It is to declare that they know and comply with the show rules. If they are not present to you do not put it down

2 Likes

Additionally , if you don’t PAY your “coach” at the show, you do not need to list them. Listing them makes them another responsible party to the horse (for example, in case of a bad drug test).

1 Like

I think your trainer is only responsible for bad drug tests if they are down in the “trainer” slot. While you need a name in the rider and trainer slots, you can leave “coach” blank.

2 Likes

UNLESS you are paying that coach. “GR108 Coach
For purposes of these rules, a coach is defined as any adult or adults who receives remuneration for having or sharing the responsibility for instructing, teaching, schooling, or advising a rider, driver, handler or vaulter in equestrian
skills. See also GR906.4 and GR908.”

2 Likes