Unlimited access >

Newbie--LOTS of Questions :)

Foxglove–I SWEAR you’re reading my mind!! LOL! I’m headed to the gym Monday to start my own fitness routine. You’re absolutely right that I definitely need to get in shape myself. Since I purchased him I’ve been riding twice a week, once in lessons and once at home on him. So I’ll definitely work on increasing my rides per week. And since we’re talking about it let me ask you all this too. My trainer has an awesome indoor riding ring which is where I’ll be taking lessons. However as winter approaches I’ll have to battle the cooler temps, the lack of daylight savings, and having no indoor arena at home. Are there temps that I shouldn’t ride at? I’m originally from FL so riding in in 30s or below is completely foreign to me.

and don’t forget about groundwork. If he’s not used to jumping at all, then put him over some “fences” (even poles on the ground at first) in hand. Lead him to walk over them and then reward him. (I use treats). Then trot over them with him,( good exercise for you too) etcentera. He’sll learn to enjoy the work as he gets something pleasant out of it. Horses are very calm over fences without a nervous rider on them.