Unlimited access >

Newbie to horses

I am new to horses and I have decided to help out a local rescue to help gain some knowledge and give back at the same time. I will be mucking out the stalls, feeding and exercising the horses. I want to get a good pair of barn boots that I can use for cleaning and also riding. Not sure which ones would be best for this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

What a great way to get started!

I have muck boots, your best bet is to go to a farm store and try different ones on. Everyone is so different.

Well, it depends on how much you want to spend, and the climate which you will be working. Many “horse people” use “paddock boots”. These are leather “short boots” with a heel. If you are going to be riding, it is essential that the boot you wear have a heel, as that will prevent the whole foot from slipping through the stirrup in an accident. You also want to avoid boots with a bulky sole, as they can cause your foot to get caught in the stirrup as well (I would avoid most “muck boots” for riding).

There are all sorts of paddock boots, from ones that are like athletic shoes like these, to standard ones like this (these are zippered, which is my preference, but they also come on lace version. Paddock boots also give a bit of ankle support, and their height helps keep dirt and bedding off your socks :slight_smile:

If you are dealing with mud and wet weather - I like “duck boots” for barn work. Plus they still have a bit of a heel so you can ride in them.

Good ol’ Cowboy boots work well too

Welcome to the world of horses! Most of us are fairly addicted :slight_smile: and its very nice of you to start out at a rescue.

Welcome to COTH! It is a great resource and a great place to ask questions and get knowledgeable answers.

Welcome to a lifelong addiction!
I applaud your efforts to give back too. The best way to learn is to work hard and ask lots of questions!
I just bought a pair of paddock boots on the Facebook page “English Tack Trader” They were new and a great price, but you can also find lots of great used boots there as well. If you are riding English paddock boots are great and fine for general barn work, even mucking stalls if the stalls are in reasonably decent shape. Otherwise a pair of heavier and waterproof boots might be better. And of course, if you will be riding western - well, cowboy boots are the thing for you.

I like my paddock boots too much to muck stalls in. The “standard issue” I have used since I was a kid are these LL Bean rubber boots or mocs;
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/19068?feat=506708-GN2&page=women-s-rubber-mocs

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80723?feat=506708-GN2&page=women-s-tumbled-leather-l-l-bean-boots-7-lounger&attrValue_0=Tan/Brown&productId=1334502

These can be easily washed. I love LL Bean stuff everything basically comes with an unconditional guarantee. I had a pair that were several years old. We got 2 new Jack Russell puppies and they ate the leather uppers. I took them to a local Bean store asking is I can get them repaired and was willing to pay for it. They gave me a new pair for free.

I like Muck Boots but find them too hot outside of winter.

Any leather boot/shoe is going to get the “barn smell”. Horse people don’t really notice it but everyone else does. So what ever you get keep in mind that most likely they will live. “outside” a lot. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money just get something cheap that is comfortable because depending on how long you last they will need replacing in the not too distant future.

Ariat’s low end paddock boots are comfy but if worn a lot I found they tend to “blow out” on the sides. But Dover always replaced mine if they were less then a year old.

In warmer months, I do barn chores in either my Ariat ProBabies (a western boot) or my Dublin paddock boots. I abuse the snot out of both of them and they do well. Depends on which saddle I plan on riding in later that day. I put half chaps over the paddock boots if I’m riding English.

If its muddy, I just switch to cheap rubber boots from Tractor Supply (they’re around $30 and I usually get 2-3 years out of them before I wreck them). They have enough of a heel that I can ride in them and its not bad in a western saddle, but I don’t like riding in my English saddles in them. They’re just a weird height.

In the winter I wear Arctic Muck Boots. They were pricey, but definitely keep my feet warm. I initially bought those to drive a carriage in them in the winter, but now I just use them for barn chores and hunting. Definitely can’t ride in them though. The soles are too thick to fit in the stirrups.

I buy cheap boots from Tractor supply, just rubber boots. I have the fancy riding ones but to work in rubber boots are the best, because they really do stink and even though I forget and do stuff in my sneakers a lot they just get so nasty, and I end up with chunks of mud and muck on the bottom that break off at the most inopportune times like walking through the supermarket. At least rubber boots I want to take off! I’ve worn Tingley’s shoe covers over paddock boots before, like galoshes, they keep the paddock boots from getting too nasty and aren’t too bulky in the stirrups.

And just work clothes in general. Cheap blue jeans, shirts that can get dirty or torn without it being a problem, long sleeves if you work with straw or hay cause man does that stuff itch and it always gets down your shirt.

I love Ariat Terrains for long days volunteering where I’m doing a lot of walking, some barn chores, and riding. I suppose it depends on your feet – I need good arch support and my old broken ankle appreciates an adjustable collar. They’ve got athletic-shoe style interiors, so they’re very comfortable, and they’ll protect you more than Bogs, Mucks, or rubber boots when you get stepped on. Paired with half chaps, they feel great to ride in. Good for you for volunteering. Have fun.

I wear Timberland hikers & have for the last 3yrs.
They are lightweight & I prefer the height for mucking - less stuff gets into the shoe.
The leather is also water-resistant, they’re uber-warm in Winter and not too warm to wear in warmer weather, but you will need an alternative when it gets really hot.
For summer I go to slip-on clogs with a bit of a lip at the heel to prevent them falling off.
Not the safest if you get stepped on, but I’m old (w/many years of horsekeeping experience) & take care of just 2 horses at home.

For barn clothes go to your local Goodwill or thrift store. No sense spending good money on clothes that are going to get slobbered-on and otherwise stained beyond redemption. Plenty of used (if not the trendiest style) jeans & t-shirts for Summer, sweatshirts & polarfleece for really cold weather.

I do barn work and ride in Ariat Terrain H2Os. They are super comfortable too. If you get these do make sure to get the H2O (waterproof) and not the regular ones. The waterproof ones hold up better and it is nice not getting wet feet.

So I live in Northern California and today it is 105 F out. I want good boots/shoes to clean out the stalls. From what it sounds, it is best to have a pair of boots for cleaning out the stalls and stuff and another for riding. So if I am working in the summer heat, would rubber boots be a good option or is there something better? Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all the help! :slight_smile:

Oh, that’s a good clarification. Forget rubber boots or even neoprene/rubber - you’ll boil. I nearly keeled over in my Bogs today and it was only 78 here! I’d probably still wear Ariat Terrains with a super wicking sock, like a Nike DriFit. But, not with jeans - think baggy and light, and a $5 Danskin wicking tee from Walmart. And once you’re really used to being gross, a baseball hat run under the hose every hour or so.:lol:

I would wear something like the LLBean duck shoes. They are tough, wear well, waterproof but easily slip on and off. You can handle them in the heat.

I wear clogs for barn duties. I currently have plastic Dansko clogs I got on sale from Sierra Trading Post. I rinse them off every night and leave them in the barn.

My leather clogs SMELLED to high heavens.

[QUOTE=Frog Pond;7614634]
Oh, that’s a good clarification. Forget rubber boots or even neoprene/rubber - you’ll boil. I nearly keeled over in my Bogs today and it was only 78 here! I’d probably still wear Ariat Terrains with a super wicking sock, like a Nike DriFit. [/QUOTE]

That’s what I’d say too; or something similar, depending on fit.

I HATE cleaning stalls in anything shorter than ankle height boots because you get bedding in your shoes. I also hate to be in the barn in anything less protective than boots; so even though I can (and sometimes do) wear sneakers, I don’t like to because I’m afraid of being stepped on. Of course it depends on the barn layout, etc.; mine are usually underfoot (or, I am underfoot) when I’m doing chores, so I always try to wear horse safe footwear.

I hate cheap rubber boots for the same reason - if stepped on, you will feel it.

I love your plant to gain experience!! Awesome! Not only to be helpful- but getting to know many horses and horses who may have some issues- both health and behavioral- will boost your learning curve like a rocket thruster!

I’d suggest just getting comfortable work boots with smooth soles and half chaps- and a pair of cheap rubber boots to keep in the trunk for mud season.