Unlimited access >

"Newer" Liquid Gut Supplements

Couldn’t find any posts really addressing this question. I’ve seen what appears to be promising research regarding hyaluronan and the beta-glucan for both healing and subsequent prevention of ulcers.

I notice there appear to be 3 supplements that aim to provide these ingredients: Equine100X Gut-X ($0.89/day on sale, regular $1.77/day), Vitalize Alimend ($1.97/day), and Resolvet Relyne-GI ($2.33/day). What I can’t find is many reviews on “independent” websites for any of these (although Alimend has a few good reviews on Smartpak). What I can find on Facebook all appears linked to sponsorships. It is hard to compare ingredients as they are each listed slightly differently for each product.

My horse has Grade 2 ulcers (diagnosed by scoping), even after 19 days on Nexium, and is currently being treated with 28 days Gastroguard and Sucralfate as he is insured. He was on G.U.T supplement prior to diagnosis.

These liquid supplements potentially seem like a good, scientifically supported, alternative to powdered or pelleted supplements (except for the convenience factor) for post treatment protection of both stomach and hind gut but I’d love to hear from anyone with reviews (good or bad) about their use of any of these…

Interesting! Gut-X seems like a more affordable version of Relyne GI.

1 Like

Yes I’m loving this new direction! I know maybe half dozen people now who have started their horses on Gut-X with really good and quick results, like a couple days.

4 Likes

I used 3 months of RelyneGI on my gelding. He didn’t have active ulcers, but more of a digestive issue. I do think it helped, but we also started Assure Guard Gold at the same time so I cant be 100% certain. The vet hospital felt strongly about me using it, so I did.

Does Gut-X (or any of the others mentioned) replace both the Nexium and Sucralfate dosing protocols? Or do you still need the Sucralfate?

Both of mine were on ReLyne at various times for general GI support based on the advice of my vet. I can’t say I noticed any major differences, but outside of Gastroguard/Sucralfate I’ve never really seen significant changes from various GI supplements I’ve used over the years.

I did appreciate that ReLyne seemed odorless/tasteless for my picky horses that don’t eat powdered supplements.

1 Like

Good question! I will contact the company and ask this. Mostly I’d like it to replace the need for omeprazole because I worry about the negative hind gut effects which can be associated with omeprazole, but not sucralfate.

Thanks! Let me know what they say.

I am just now realizing the need to treat the hind gut alongside a round of omeprazole, but my boarding barn setup and horse’s personality doesn’t really allow me to dose sucralfate effectively.

I understand that challenge and discussed it with my vet. My boarding situation does not allow dosing sucralfate twice a day on an empty stomach (ideal), especially since my horse has 24/7 access to hay (which my vet agrees is valuable for ulcer-prone horses). However, my vet said doing the best we could would still offer benefits (and that appears to be the case based on my horse’s reactions/behavior). We give him sucralfate in a smaller-than-normal grain feed (mixed with water to make a paste then mixed with rice bran) once a day several hours after his main AM hay feed and several hours before his gastroguard, which is supposed to be at least 30-60 minutes before his PM hay feed (he has 24/7 teff hay, which he picks at, and higher quality orchard grass twice a day, which he eats immediately).

I have also had good success treating hind gut issues (most likely significantly exacerbated, if not caused, by omeprazole) with Succeed.

They responded and suggested it can be used with both medications if necessary and can prevent the rebound effect that can happen when transitioning off them (especially omeprazole). Their promotional material indicates efficacy for both gastric and hind gut ulcers and beta-glucan is the “effective” ingredient in Succeed, so that seems a valid assertion.

I did ask if it can be added to pre-bagged feed and the answer is not really - it needs to be wet at time of ingestion to be effective.

2 Likes

I decided to give Gut-X a shot for one of mine. I added it to my cart last night, then forgot to order. Today I got a $20 off coupon from them for using paypal checkout, which it added on top of the sale.

6 Likes

Here is their response when I asked about efficacy for the hind gut:

Gut X (active ingredients) makes it to the hindgut and the pH resilience of both the Hyaluronic Acid (HA) and Beta Glucan is one of the primary reasons this occurs. Beta Glucan stimulates the innate immune system by coming into contact with phagocytic cells (macrophages). The specific beta-glucan receptors start a chain reaction inducing an immunomodulation to pathogenic microbes and healing damaged tissue in BOTH the stomach and hind gut. In addition, it creates a gel that slows the transit of digesta through the gut allowing starches to be digested earlier, thereby reducing the negative effects of starch on the hind gut which makes it a great preventative. The HA brings moisture to the hind gut and decreases the pain and inflammation associated with acidosis. We typically see positive results starting in a few weeks but it is important to note the natural healing process doesn’t happen overnight. There will be relief early on but it can take days to weeks to completely heal the tissue and rebalance the gut pH and flora.

3 Likes

Thanks @JB Did those horses trying it have diagnosed ulcers or were they using them for preventative purposes? What kind of symptoms were resolved?

Mostly very ulcer-like behavior, but the cost of scoping wasn’t in the budget, and they were very leery (rightfully so) of simply starting a PPI, so they went with Gut-X especially since it was on sale. So no, they don’t know if there were gastric ulcers or if there were, what kind. They don’t know there weren’t gastric ulcers either. They just went off typical ulcer symptoms, but of course we know that doesn’t mean fore or hind gut

3 Likes

Well that’s still very promising results suggesting actually healing rather than just preventative. My horse appears to be most responsive to sucralfate, rather than omeprazole, but that could mean hindgut or just lower/pyloric area in the stomach.

Were they all administering it via adding it to feed right before feeding?

To my knowledge yes, adding right before feeding.

1 Like

For those on a budget, I have had great luck using just 1/4 cup of oat bran 2x a day.

My mare goes off her feed and stops finishing her hay in late fall/winter when the weather gets unpredictable. I couldn’t afford succeed this year so I did some research about beta glucan and decided to try the oat bran. She hasn’t missed a meal since and her net is empty every morning. It also resolved the touchyness around her flanks and chest.

4 Likes

Yes, similarly I’ve had good success with oat flour (not oat bran) for hind gut issues. The oat flour has has beta glucan in it, which is at least one (if not the only) “active” ingredient in Succeed.

2 Likes

They are fast! My 2 gallons of Gut-X came today. I’ll update in a few weeks.

5 Likes

I ended up ordering a gallon (3 months worth) this week too. Mine will be here Tuesday - fast, free shipping is nice. It’s going to be a pain to deal with adding it to my feed, so I sure hope it’s worth it.

1 Like