Unlimited access >

Newer Spreader or alternative

Ok y’all. I have totally worn out my Newer Spreader. It is 8 years old and we have replaced most of the working parts of the spreader (including wheels and axle) over this time. Now the body of the spreader is in bad shape and my husband has declared it is not worth fixing again.

I generally only use this spreader for about half the year (the other half I compost). I rinse it out after every use.

I have to admit I’m disappointed in the spreader’s longevity. Am I expecting too much?

Does anyone have an alternative ground driven spreader that is small enough to pull behind a golf cart or 4 wheeler? Or should I just suck it up and buy another NS and figure that this is just the life span of a small spreader? This just seems like a lot of money for a piece of equipment that doesn’t have great longevity.

1 Like

Mine died after about 15 years and the cost of a new one is Crazy high. Tractor Supply has a similar alternative, only it’s all steel. It was much cheaper than the NS so we went with that.
I hate the fn thing. I’m
Going to
Use it until it finally dies and then get another NS.

I had seen the Tractor Supply version and I wondered specifically about that. Thanks for the warning. The cost of a Newer Spreader is crazy, but it might be what I need to do.

sometimes they go on sale. I got mine on a sale in December

1 Like

It suuuuucks. Total waste of $$. But I’m
Stuck with it for now. Plus it’s all steel so heavy af.

1 Like

I have an ABI 25 bushel spreader that I pull with my JD lawn tractor. I love it. I only have one horse at the moment and he’s out most of the time, but I did have 3 horses and it was perfect for my needs. My horses were mostly out and came in for breakfast, dinner and a couple hours for riding or farrier or whatever else, so not tons of stall cleaning was done.

1 Like

I have a Newer Spreader that was used about a dozen times before my horse farmette community set up a central manure dump. It’s been sitting in an empty stall in my barn for the past 8 years. I think it is a Model 200. If you’re in the Aiken SC area and want a deal PM me.

And I just checked the Newer web site. All model spreaders are $400 off list price. I don’t know if that is a real sale or if that is just how they normally list them to make you believe that you are getting a deal - like Amazon does.

3 Likes

If you’re anywhere near Wisconsin I have one I don’t use anymore.

3 Likes

@LCDR I sent you a dm. I’m in Charleston, so close enough.

1 Like