Unlimited access >

Nice, affordable barns near Boston?

There is a possibility I may be moving to Boston, Mass. to pursue a job opportunity and I am starting to look a barns for my horse. I do not mind a drive of up to 45 minutes from central Boston / Cambridge for a really nice place.

I have found some gorgeous eventing barns on the web, but most are a outside my price range. I can afford up to about $650-700 a month, but not $1,000. Does anyone know of an eventing or dressage focused barn with good facilities (read: 4hr+ a day turnout space, indoor / outdoor ring, preferably with access to trails and quality instruction) in the greater Boston to board at that price or below? My horse is a very easy going gelding with no special requirements.

I haven’t committed to the job yet, but I am strongly considering it and want to know what the riding situation would be.

Unfortunately, you are moving to one of the most expensive areas to have a horse! For your qualifications, you are looking atleast an hour from Boston. I would look at Valinor Farm in Plymouth, I’ve heard great things about them. It says their full board is $675.

http://www.valinorfarm.com/

I live in Boston and keep my horse in Carver at a pretty casual/pleasure barn with no indoor. My barn is fairly close to Valinor and it takes me about 50 min-1hr to get there depending on traffic and I live a little more south than Cambridge (a few miles can make a HUGE difference in rush hour).

Good luck!!

Sigh, I’ve lived here 5 years and I’m still looking for the barn described in the OP.

Here are a few possibilities:
Apple Knoll (may be a little pricey though)-Millis
Harmony Horse Stables-Littleton
Valinor Farm-Plymouth
Verrill Farm-Concord
Orchard Hill Equestrian Center-Berlin
Scarlet Hill Farm-Groton
Coursebrook Farm-Sherborn

You can probably also check the Area 1 website for stable links

Don’t know about prices or availability, but a couple of great barns north of Boston (which may be a shorter drive depending on your location) are Ledyard Farm (Oakwood Equine Management run by Ferial and Marc Johnson),and Gathering Farm (Babette Lenna is the pro there).

I second looking at the Area 1 website which has lots of helpful links.

barn

i board at an eventing barn in boxford… that may be too far for you. full is 700 and outside board is 500. the barn owner is amazing and takes fantastic cre of all of the horses. the barn is gaston farm.

What bip said. Sigh. The costs hurt less the longer you live here. :sigh:
Most of the ones above (metro-west area) are over $800 - I know that Apple Knoll, Orchard Hill, Scarlet Hill, and Coursebrook are, and I think Verrill is, too. Unfortunately, I think you’ll have a hard time finding an eventing/dressage barn that BOTH (a) has an indoor, and (b) is within 45 mins of the city for your price range.
That being said, if you look hard enough, there are a lot of backyard or private barns that may meet your requirements. Try equinesite.com - there are a lot of listings if you check out the classifieds there. Good luck, and it’s a good thing to think about before you make the move!

[QUOTE=frugalannie;4252250]
Don’t know about prices or availability, but a couple of great barns north of Boston (which may be a shorter drive depending on your location) are Ledyard Farm (Oakwood Equine Management run by Ferial and Marc Johnson),and Gathering Farm (Babette Lenna is the pro there).

I second looking at the Area 1 website which has lots of helpful links.[/QUOTE]

Popping in from H/J-land, but I know these barns are for sure out of the OP’s price range. Gathering was $1000/month 3 years ago and I doubt it’s gone down. And I seriously doubt Ledyard is any cheaper than that.

Anything on the North Shore with an indoor is going to run at least $900-$1000, UGH.

I’d look for private places, or non-eventing/dressage barns that will let you bring in an outside trainer.

OK, back to lurking, good luck!

Affordable (under $800)
Close to Town
Nice Amenities

Pick two. :sigh:

I miss my family and friends in MA, but I do love Tennessee…

That’s what people say, but frankly? Around here, pick one.

Does anyone know what the status of Little Acorn in Millis is? I heard that it was bought by an event trainer, but my source wasn’t sure about that.

1 Like

Another idea is to live somewhere outside the city on the MBTA Commuter Line or Amtrak line that would be closer to more affordable barns and commute to work. Not sure that’s doable for you but lots of people prefer that because it eliminates the driving in traffic. And, cost of both people & horse housing is much more reasonable (I agree it’s all relative, though and is not reasonable compared with other parts of the country! :eek:).

My boyfriend takes the Amtrak Downeaster from Haverhill(right near Plaistow, NH line) to North Station. I keep my mare about 25 minutes from Haverhill at a FANTASTIC place that is $550 with an gorgeous new indoor, outdoor, 24 hour turnout (individual paddocks off of their stalls), trail access, amazing care, wonderful people/atmosphere, great trainers, etc. There are several places like this in the southern NH area for about the same price. And, Boxford/West Newbury/Georgetown area (~15 minute drive from me) all have similar options for a little more $$ but still within your budget.

Please feel free to PM me if you’re interested in more details/specifics.

Best of luck-

Also Eleazer Davis Farm, www.edfarm.com - Concord area.

[QUOTE=Roney;4252397]
What bip said. Sigh. The costs hurt less the longer you live here. :sigh:
…
That being said, if you look hard enough, there are a lot of backyard or private barns that may meet your requirements. Try equinesite.com - there are a lot of listings if you check out the classifieds there. [/QUOTE]

also try posting on the equinesite.com BB

much closer to the city

Meets all your criteria and in Andover - just up 93 from the city.

http://www.flyinghighstables.com/

Davis farm was around $1k 5 years ago, so I doubt that’s come down.

I bord at Davis and love it dearly. It is, unfortunately, above the OP’s price range. The care, instruction and facilities are outstanding though!!

You could also check out the old north bridge pony club’s website. There are several back yard barns that are within trailering distance to some rally nice indoors. equinesite.com and the area 1 site may also be a source of info.

I think you may be dreaming the equine dream in this area unfortunately!!

We keep our 4 horses at 2 adjoining farms in Harvard, MA. SheriffMuir Farm w/indoor $850, Over the Moon Farm w/beautiful all season outdoor $750. Over the Moon boarders can rent indoor time at SheriffMuir for a daily or monthly fee. Properties abut miles & miles of trails & apple orchards.

affordable barns?

look at www.equinesite.com

lots of good New England resources

I took my first lessons there when it was Legacy Farm-- too many years ago to say (but suffice to say I was not yet 10 years old)-- and also boarded my first horse there a few years later. It was only 18 minutes from my house in West Cambridge.

You all are making me glad that I keep my guy at home!

There are small private barns that would charge substantially less. The facilities will not be as fancy, but the care is often better. When evaluating these places, factor in what is costs to feed and bed a horse in this area (about $200/month for my pretty easy keeper) and realize that the barn owner will need to charge enough to make it worth his or her while. Having a boarder means increased costs in terms of manure removal and insurance, not to mention work and costs of upkeep. From my point of view it is not worth having boarders, so always be kind to the small barn owner so that they continue to enjoy having boarders.