Unlimited access >

NIF scan and fluid at 16 day check but a big belly now

My broodmare is 25 and we’ve tried to retire her twice but she hates it. She had her “last” foal in 2019, in 2020 she was so full of herself that I had the vet check her just to see if we should consider breeding her. He checked her, said she looked perfect & order semen right then. I did but unfortunately semen sat an extra day with FedEx :pensive:. Vet inseminated and said she looked good and had just ovulated. We used a small pony stallion. At 16 day check she was not in foal and had fluid, so I told vet that it was all just a sign she was done and we’d find a kid to come ride her instead. I did a p test 80 or 90 days in, not pregnant. She was bred May 28. Fast forward this week I commented to a friend that if I wasn’t positive she was not pregnant I’d say she was progressing well. Big belly… bag not what I would expect. But, she’s super hairy and 25 and has had 5 foals so I shrugged it off. She was grazing by the back of the barn last night and my husband looked at her and said… she looks pregnant. He pushed on her belly and said feels like a foal to me. I felt around too and it felt like I would expect about 60 days before foaling but I’m sure it’s wishful thinking. And, I’ve never tried to feel a foal move when she wasn’t pregnant so maybe it’s always like that. Vet comings for spring vacs 3/16 so will have him peek at her and will have to body clip her tomorrow as we’re getting a 40 degree temp increase so I’ll get a better look. Any thoughts?

And… not pg, just fat :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

LOLOLOL… I feel your pain, Justice.

I had the same thing happen to me in 2016 with my previous broodmare. Bred her twice in 2015, second time she took but seemed to have lost it by the 30-day check, and it was late so we did not re-breed. Fast forward to April 2016, she was looking SO round, there was no extra padding on her except a big round belly, and i could’ve sworn i felt movement when i put my hand on her flank toward the back. But nope - she was just chubby. LOL :grin:

It was a fur baby, I clipped her and she magically no longer looks pregnant. Wishful thinking is an amazing thing!

1 Like