Unlimited access >

NIHJA Horse Shows: What do they cost and honest reviews of shows

Hello! I’m potentially interested in doing NIHJA shows (Northern IL Hunter Jumper) but wanted to get an idea of how much these horse show weekends cost. I know it depends on classes and divisions, etc. But can someone out there who has been to NIHJA shows give me a ballpark figure of what they spent all in? Or better yet, break down all of the expenses incurred?

Also, for those that have been to NIHJA shows, please let me know what you think of them? Does competition tend to be stiff or not so much? Are you pleased with how they ran the shows, etc. Any and all feedback is welcome. Thank you!

It has been a couple years since I have done a NIHJA show.

Here is the prize list for 2016 finals:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56b64c8e2b8dde388a3794ff/t/57c70a51579fb350063a49bc/1472662114816/Showplace+NIHJA+Finals+2016+prize+list.pdf

Of course, that is without any fees a trainer may tack on, trailering, braiding, lodging, etc. I think I spent around $750 for my last NIHJA show in 2013ish. NIHJA is a great starting point and place to show for those that are weary of the A’s. I found the horses much less impressive, the riders less polished, but overall a fun, competitive atmosphere to get your feet wet (without the same $$ you would spend at an A show).

Let me know if you have any other questions. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Lace. That is helpful. Yup, I would need to trailer my horse there, pay my trainer’s daily horse show fee, etc. It adds up.

Is braiding required for Nihja?

Also, do you happen to know or remember which classes and divisions were the most popular/least popular? For my first time, I’d like to enter in classes that aren’t super big. Here are my Eq options:

Amateur Adult
Jr/Adult Eq Classic
Adult Mini Medal 18 & Over
NIHJA Senior Medal

Here are my hunter options (aiming for 2’9"-3’). This is my horse’s first show so I’m not sure how it will go:

Training
Pre-Green
Low Working
Non-Thoroughbred/Thoroughbred
Non-Pro Working
Adult Working Hunter
Amateur Adult
Novice
Open

Do you have any advice on which classes may be best for me considering I’m green to showing and so is my horse? Which classes seem to be way more crowded than others?

Thanks for all of your help.

Hi. Here are some additional resources for you and your green horse for local shows. Cross Winds Farm (www.crosswindsfarm.net) hosts NIHJA shows every summer.

Cross Winds was voted NIHJA Horse Show of the year in 2015. (see https://www.facebook.com/148092781882430/photos/a.374296792595360.93096.148092781882430/1120025184689180/?type=3&theater)

You can see the pictures of the venue, and competitor photos. Braiding the mane is recommended, along with traditional turnout, for NIHJA.

If you want to get some show miles at a lower cost, you should look at A Place to Start (PTS) show series (www.ptsshows.com). This schooling show series lets you get experience riding in the same venues as NIHJA. Shows alternate between Field and Fences in Gurnee and Cross Winds in Marengo.

Welcome and hope to meet you at the shows!

Hi. Here are some additional resources for you and your green horse for local shows. Cross Winds Farm (www.crosswindsfarm.net) hosts NIHJA shows every summer.

Cross Winds was voted NIHJA Horse Show of the year in 2015. (see https://www.facebook.com/148092781882430/photos/a.374296792595360.93096.148092781882430/1120025184689180/?type=3&theater)

You can see pictures of the venue, and competitor photos. Braiding the mane is recommended, along with traditional turnout, for NIHJA.

If you want to get some show miles at a lower cost, you should look at A Place to Start (PTS) show series (www.ptsshows.com). This schooling show series lets you get experience riding in the same venues as NIHJA. Shows alternate between Field and Fences in Gurnee and Cross Winds in Marengo.

Welcome and hope to meet you at the shows!

Is braiding required for Nihja?

No, not required. Some do it, some don’t.

Also, do you happen to know or remember which classes and divisions were the most popular/least popular

The 2’6" classes for juniors were always the most popular. I think if you are entering any adult division, you will likely have lower numbers unless they are so low that they combine with the juniors.

For that reason, I would stick to adult classes over anything that will have juniors and pros. You will probably have 5-10 in your class depending on the show. Since you are green to showing as well, the novice adult division would probably suit you!

Overall, the level of competition is consistent with the discount you are getting.

You can also check out the 2016 results on the NIHJA website to see how competitive the year-end point ended up being. That can help gauge how many contenders there were for ribbons based on the popularity and number of points they accumulated.

Great idea! Thanks, Lace.

They are well run, cheaper than the A’s and good competition. PTS circuit is also very good! If I had a horse that had never shown I would probably go to a PTS show then NIHJA.
Some people braid, some don’t. However every horse is clean, impeccably turned out and riders look well dressed. The courses are fair at every division. If my mare wasn’t strictly a jumper type, I would attend more. They only have a few jumper classes , I wish they would add more.

I agree, mychestnutvalentine. NIHJA’s jumper offerings seem skimpy. As an aspiring low-level eventer and middle amateur, I’d like to see more.

I’ve wondered if the absence of an equivalent for the Novice Ch-Adult/Low Ch-Adult Jumpers at A-shows is missing because NIHJA fears what he riding (running?) might look like if if were offered. If people are yahooing around at the A-shows in that division (as many seem to do), perhaps the fear is it would be worse at a NIHJA show.

Another fun show series is Illinois Short Circuit. This circuit is affordable and the shows are great for green riders or green horses. PTS is a one day show. ISC has been a two day show. NIHJAs and the B’s can be longer. We are fortunate to live in an area where there are so many options!

I’ve also noticed that the class size and degree of competition varies quite a bit based on the show venue. Some of the facilities aren’t as large and the stabling is a bit more “rustic”, and the number of entrants is lower at those shows. To be clear, they are all safe and well run but since I don’t chase points (nor does my trainer advocate doing so), we only show at the larger facilities like Ledges, Lamplight, Fields & Fences, etc.

–R

I’ve also noticed that the class size and degree of competition varies quite a bit based on the show venue. Some of the facilities aren’t as large and the stabling is a bit more “rustic”, and the number of entrants is lower at those shows. To be clear, they are all safe and well run but since I don’t chase points (nor does my trainer advocate doing so), we only show at the larger facilities like Ledges, Lamplight, Fields & Fences, etc.

–R

Thanks all! I have heard great things about PTS and ISC as well. However, from what I hear, they don’t have many adults that attend. Since I am in my late 20s and would be entering adult classes, I don’t want to spend the money (and countless other considerations like time, effort, energy) etc to compete against two other people. I appreciate everyone’s input and yes we are luck to have so many show circuit options for those of us that don’t have A shows in our future :slight_smile:

Imlacross - check out IDCTA for fun low-level eventing stuff.

TH- on it! Hoping to do Baby Barrington this spring, and maybe some other things (depending on $ and where the rest of the barn is heading).

Imlacross - have FUN!!! Barrington is really nice - my trainer did it one year and had a blast!

PS Fox Valley is also really well run and lots of fun!

PTS shows don’t have a ton of adults, but none of the classes have age restrictions–they’re just split by fence height and experience. So, even though you may not have a lot of competition of your own age, you don’t have to worry about divisions not filling or being tiny.