no more cheap used saddles..

was on ebay today trying to find a used Saddle- the same type i already have. jeez, people want a lot more than i feel these saddles are worth. even saddles with significant damage were priced high. checked equine.com also. same kind of thing…oh well…

I’ve been noticing that.

I used to make a good amount of pocket change buying cheap name brand saddles on Ebay, cleaning them up, taking better photos, and relisting them for twice the price.

I still keep an eye on the listings, but there aren’t that many good deals.

I think people need the extra cash, so they’re watching what they list them for. The market is also starting to pick back up, and there’s more of a market for “affordable” but good-brand saddles.

Still don’t know why that Kieffer with the hideously-replaced seat keeps showing up for $500 week after week though.

2 Likes

Maybe everyone is flipping saddles… LOL…

Not just saddles… I think the prices people want for a lot of used tack are insane.

I belong to several tack sale groups on Facebook… people want $10-15 for a really used looking, dirty, stained saddle pad. $15-25 for no-name used bits. $10 and up for used, faded nylon halters. I can get NEW of these items for a few dollars more or sometimes for less…

4 Likes

I haven’t been looking for saddles but I have noticed that eBay is slim pickings on lots of used items from show clothes to tack. I think the fees etc. just make it not worth a sellers time to list the cheap stuff.

You may be better off to look for some 4H used tack sales in your area.

And check Bits and Barter. LOTSA saddles for sale.

1 Like

[QUOTE=ChocoMare;6834133]
And check Bits and Barter. LOTSA saddles for sale.[/QUOTE]

Lots, but most of the ads are very outdated. I have tried in the past to contact people about saddles, but never gotten a response back.

Hmmm. Time to sell :).

It’s not just tack. People get into bidding wars and emotion overrules common sense.

1 Like

yes it has gotten crazy. i do look at Bits and barter, but they don’t have much that is current. i was using Ebay to find a certain brand saddle and style, but prices are crazy. it’s true that ebay charges a lot now days.

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;6833762]
I’ve been noticing that.

I used to make a good amount of pocket change buying cheap name brand saddles on Ebay, cleaning them up, taking better photos, and relisting them for twice the price.

I still keep an eye on the listings, but there aren’t that many good deals.

I think people need the extra cash, so they’re watching what they list them for. The market is also starting to pick back up, and there’s more of a market for “affordable” but good-brand saddles.

Still don’t know why that Kieffer with the hideously-replaced seat keeps showing up for $500 week after week though.[/QUOTE]

I used to do the same. I found some very nice high end saddles for short $$. Don’t see them so much anymore.

I think that the eBay system now favors buyers so much that sellers are wary. That, more than the fees has me less willing to list tack there. It’s not worth the hassle.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Bogie;6834233]
I used to do the same. I found some very nice high end saddles for short $$. Don’t see them so much anymore.

I think that the eBay system now favors buyers so much that sellers are wary. That, more than the fees has me less willing to list tack there. It’s not worth the hassle.[/QUOTE]

My best score was a Verhan for $400. Dark, basically unusable pictures, but she had the serial number and Ebay has good buyer protection if she misrepresented the “good condition.” Sold it for $1200. The buyer thought she was getting a bargain, I was happy I was tripling my money, all good!

That was my best deal, but I’ve made a significant amount flipping saddles. Bought my trailer that way!

I think you’re right…it’s the outrageous fees driving people away with the cheap stuff…only worth it if you can make enough extra to pay the fees without destroying your profit.

1 Like

I just bought a used Schleese all purpose for a very reasonable price from Trumbull Mountain. I also had 7 days to try the saddle before deciding to purchase. I would buy from them again.

The only place I’m finding cheap used anything is at swap meets, usually done at a local tack shop or barn. Prices online are high, and often the item is already sold but not taken off the list. Frustrating.

i broke down and got a new saddle anyway. since i’m gonna spend a lot either way, why not? I do keep checking my local CL for extra cheap saddles, just for the heck of it.

1 Like

ssee if there are tack sales in your area…I get lots of great saddles that way for really cheap> :smiley: It bugs me when people ask $400 for a used saddle that you can pay $200 brand new.

Was this the Remonte ?

Maybe all these over priced horses need over priced tack?
Sheilah

Zombie thread