Unlimited access >

No more TBs to South Korea?

Sorry I read Australia. Whether Austria or Australia, horse meat is on the table.

The hypocrisy bothered me as well, which is why I linked to this TB auction in Hemet, CA earlier in this thread.

3 Likes

Shhhh don’t say that here. The coth mob will bite your head off for pointing that out.

1 Like

Nah, I mean, it’s just inaccurate :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I bought a weanling filly in that auction, and I must say, she is quite the filly. The sale on her fell through at the auction, and all I can say is another man’s trash is someone else’s treasure. She will be three next year, and I can’t wait to see what she wants to do with her life.

I still am angered at the auction and how it was run, however. 90 mares and foals thrown on the market in November with little notice run by a cheap auction company.

5 Likes

It really was awful wasn’t it? There was a lot of dubious business about non-payment of stud fees and A.I. if I remember correctly.

I remember that COTH members did their best to buy what they could. It was a fine thing to see.
I’m so glad your filly is a nice one and has a good home with you.

Anyway, the finger pointing by Stronach is laughable.

2 Likes

???
Like @ladyj79 posted, the only thing we are going to say is that it is not accurate.

5 Likes

For context, Equkelly believes there are too many thoroughbreds and that the COTH “groupthink” is that none of them go to slaughter.

She is very passionate about this opinion.

Numerous posters have tried to broaden her perspective and help her know what she doesn’t know.

16 Likes

I am not sure why anyone would think we as a whole think any one thing. Anyone who has been around for any amount of time knows that not to be true 99% of the time. And on this topic I doubt they can find anyone who thinks that no TBs go to slaughter anywhere, so it might be the one time we do agree on something, just not what they think we agree on.

1 Like

I do not want to speak for her, but I believe she feels that way because she has very strong opinions formed from very limited perspective and corroborated by a small subset of out-of-date data.

She will preach those opinions and open herself up to comments. When (many) others point out the things I mentioned above and try to present the current reality, she appears to perceive it as us COTHers failing to acknowledge the problem she believes is so readily apparent.

The thing is, most of us have a handle on the complexities of thoroughbred welfare based on first hand experience and current data. So we don’t appreciate being preached to with misinformation and sweeping generalizations.

13 Likes

Yeah but I was responding to Dani.

I’m confused whether people believe there is an active and legal slaughter industry in the US or whether they are speaking more hyperbolically like we slaughter them because we ship horses to slaughter in other countries, like a complicit moral argument rather than like a legal one

3 Likes

Once again, what @ladyj79 said!

What do you think happen to horses in the states? Why just single out South Korea? Look up horses who’ve ran in the Kentucky Derby, of all races, and tell me how many you can find. Do you think there is a home for every single thoroughbred in the states? At least in South Korea, the horses don’t have to be exported over long distances (where they aren’t fed, kept in extreme heat, etc) like they are here.

For the following list, the year the horse ran in the Kentucky Derby is in parenthesis next to the name:

• Hofburg (2018) last entered stud in Brazil. He has since disappeared
  • Lone Sailor (2018) last raced in an optional claiming race at Churchill in 2020
  • Hence (2017) last raced in 2019 in the Governor’s Cup
  • J Boys Echo (2017) last raced in a claiming race at Churchill in 2019
  • Fast and Accurate (2017) last raced in 2019
  • Suddenbreakingnews (2016) last raced in 2018
  • Trojan Nation (2016) stood stud in Wyoming last year, no stud fee for him this upcoming year

Shall I go on or do you get the point? This is just at G1 level, what do you think happens to the other thousands of horses at the lower levels? Surely we don’t have homes for every one of them.

-If my list is inaccurate, please let me know :slight_smile:-

5 Likes

I don’t understand your post. Are you saying that you know these listed horses were sent to slaughter (in the U.S.) or just that you don’t know where they are?

2 Likes

The point of my comment is that we don’t have homes for every horse in the United States, so trying to single out South Korea for something that we literally do here in the U.S (given that we export horses for slaughter) is xenophobic.

7 Likes

Hofburg is standing at Haras Santa Maria de Araras. He looks well cared for.
http://santamariadeararas.com/garanhoes/hofburg/

4 Likes

Thank you! If I recall, Haras Santa Maria de Aras is a well respected farm. I know we (USA) have sent some others over there that have done just fine.

1 Like

THIS. Right. Here.

The CotH mob gets real mad whenever somebody points out that we breed more tbs than we have homes for. They stomp their feet and point the finger at quarter horses and start whatabouting about warmblood breeding every single time.

The criticism SK gets is likely a result of unconscious bias and xenophobia because the US is just as bad. People just want to plug their ears and go “la la la” about issues here though. :roll_eyes:

Meltdowns starting in 3…2…1

2 Likes

The United States has programs in place to retrain, rehome, or retire their horses. Sure a small percentage end up slaughtered in Mexico and Canada. However, there’s a difference between 1% of a population going to slaughter vs 80%??? of the population. I’m not sure of the actual statistics for how many go to slaughter in Korea. If anyone wants to correct me, feel free to do so.

Should we put more safeguards in place to protect our horses from ending up with a bad fate? Yes.

5 Likes

It’s a lot more than 1% in the US. The president of the NTRA estimated 7,500 tbs go to slaughter every year. For all we know that number could even be low because the source giving the estimate is biased. But even if it is 7500, there’s only 20,000 tb babies born a year so that means if we trust the president of the NTRA it’s at least 37.5% of TBs that end up going to slaughter. But I’m curious where you’re getting your 1% number?

And before anyone sings the myth about slaughter being only just for the old, lame, and insane horses… that’s also false. The USDA estimates that 92.3% of horses that go to slaughter are “in good condition and able to live out productive lives.”

Like I already said, we just don’t want to face the reality of how bad the problem in the US is. And yes, programs like CANTER and RRHP are great it’s nowhere near enough and we still need to acknowledge that there’s a huge problem without all the nonsense excuses IMO.

3 Likes

Also, and I’ll be the a-hole here, the majority of countries in the world eat horses, and/or have a use for horse meat and parts.

Weeeeeeee have moral qualms about this that lead to atrocities.

This is cultural, not moral, quibbling.

And yes, it comes off as not just xenophobic, but actively racist, because you are wringing your hands about those dastardly men from the east and not all of Europe.

Please stop.

11 Likes