Unlimited access >

TB auction in Hemet, CA

Does anyone know anything about this auction? There are 91 mares and foals going through this auction, ending Sunday. It looks like the stock from a farm opened by Stronach last year. The mares don’t look like their care has been top notch, and the foals are going through unregistered, although some of them have the DNA and paperwork to be registered if the buyer pays the fees. The registration has been lost of some of the mares. The studfee is owed on mares currently in foal to register the foal. Hopefully a lot of people step up, but I’m not optimistic about that, and that is a lot of horses. https://bid.bidfastandlast.com/bid/32404?item=1786479&section=items

There are some really interesting horses. A lot of the names seem so familiar to me, but I can’t seem to place them.

Hip 60 is a filly by Musketier from the family of my own wonder mare! Someone needs to buy her before I do!

If anyone is looking for a sport horse broodmare, Siphon’s Reality looks awfully nice on paper.

That filly by Musketier out of In Two Notes is a steal for $500. Musketier, Transworld (!), Bertrando/Skywalker…

Hip 177 is half sister to Octave and Belle Cherie. Poor girl looks rough and sore but that is an incredible family.

In Two Notes is out of a half sister to my mare who I tried so desperately to get a foal from during the twilight of her productive years. My mare did well enough as a racing broodmare to keep her job, but she truly missed her calling as a sporthorse. She has one of the most incredible hind ends I have ever seen on a horse, let alone a TB.

1 Like

All of a sudden the lot is gone from the website???

It vanished!

It is now on this alternative website. I thought this one was only for the live bidding, but the other one is gone which is puzzling. https://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog.asp?aid=152875&gl=3#3 There are horses with bids on the other website, which don’t show on this website.

It’s truly a shame that CA is the other side of the country from me. I’d be there with the trailer if I could. But cross-country bidding seems to be too prohibitive for me, by the time all the logistics work out. Soooo many horses… horses that could be decently useful to someone. Such a waste. I don’t know what went down, but shame on them for leaving the animals in this situation. Good mares and foals being sold for not much more than meat prices.

With some digging, it seems Stronach did something similar earlier this year with stock at his Alberta farm, too. While I’ve never been the biggest fan of the Stronach family, I thought they were better than this. They have a stupid family feud and hundreds of horses suffer as a result. Despicable.

1 Like

One of the more interesting sport prospects:

https://www.pedigreequery.com/marcos+red+rose

Hard to gauge her build from the unflattering angles, and she seems like she’s sore on her long toes. But interesting bloodlines for sure; a City Wolf foal out of her would be equally interesting…

I think #3 is really nice. She’s by The Pamplemousse and out of a multiple stakes placed mare (Border Fire) who earned $296,000 and has produced several winners including a stakes winning gelding who earned $196,00. She is seriously lame though. I wonder what her whole story is.

#80 High Definition is half sister to Countess Diana, Eclipse Champion and multiple G1 winner.

Is it normal to buy a mare in foal and then have to pay the stallion fee after the foal is born? That is the case with #60, In Two Notes. The page says, “Stud fee owed to obtain Stallion Certificate to register unborn baby.”

I see that OP mentioned this, but I still wonder how common this is.

No, it is not common. In the TB world, broodmares are usually sold with the stud fee already paid. Mare sold through an auction always come with a stallion certificate.

That whole situation looks pretty appalling to me. I hope those mares and foals find a soft landing.

To be fair, we don’t know that yet. The auction hasn’t started there may be enough people who hear about it that they will wind up selling for quite a bit more.

I like #3 too. I’m considering whether to bid on her. PeteyPie, get me out of my misery and buy her.

I am guessing, since some of the names are ringing a faint bell, that some of these are left-overs from Alberta.

That family feud has been going on for more than a decade now but the flare-ups are getting bigger

I just can’t – or won’t – buy another horse unless or until I can keep them home with me. But I could recommend my barn to you for interim housing if you buy her and need a place to house her prior to shipping. I also have a wonderful vet and farrier. My barn (I use the term loosely since there is no actual barn structure) is within easy trailering distance, the space is roomy, the fences are good, and it’s relatively cheap. I suspect the owner, an older retired gentleman, just wants to keep horses on the property so he can maintain his grandfather rights to agricultural zoning which has disappeared in the rapidly developing areas around him, so it’s great for retired horses which don’t need access to riding trails and such. It has it’s concomitant drama and weirdness occasionally, but I realize from this forum that barn drama is not an uncommon thing.

I live pretty close to Hemet. I am considering driving out there tomorrow to look at a few of the weanlings. Wondering how difficult it would be to get them registered. The whole situation is sad. Some of those mares are in rough shape and a few are fairly well bred. There are 2 good looking mares in foal to Shaman Ghost (wondering how one would get the stallion certificate–his fee is listed at $7500–too much to pay) Though, if they can’t be registered , they are not worth much(if any) $$
Wekiva Mist is the dam of a stakes winner of over 500k. Many have some pedigree. A few of them are stakes placed. Most look too thin and in need of the farrier. The weanlings have wormy looking bellies.
Anyone else in Southern California want to go on a road trip to the farm tomorrow?
Though I don’t see a phone number or address online. Kind of weird to bid online like that. Wonder what they do with the rest of them if they don’t sell by Sunday? Hope they aren’t all getting on the van to go south of the border.

That is a going point. There are some who will likely bring a fair market value for what they are.

But when you set a $500 reserve on all horses, you’re opening the event up to an unscrupulous market. It’s a no win situation and I am disgusted that the Stronach family would go about things like this.

I’m even more baffled why the industry hasn’t made more noise about this. I’m wondering if it’s a “don’t bite the hand that feeds you” silence or out of ignorance due to no press coverage.

1 Like