Unlimited access >

TB auction in Hemet, CA

what a shame :(. may they all find a soft place to land

I suspect that most people in the industry are entirely unaware. I brought this up today while at the Keeneland sale and nobody knew what I was talking about.

A poster on another BB sent a link to the Paulick Report, so I’m hoping that we hear some noise about this soon.

The first auction platform is back up, and both that one and the proxibid platform work and are part of the same company. I spoke with someone at the farm, and the hope is that the horses are out by Tuesday. By special arrangement they can be held over. I just can’t imagine there is going to be a happy ending for these horses, with so many of them, and fees not paid, and in some cases, not in the best condition.

Clint. You mentioned that you called the farm. I can’t find the phone # or address on the website. I am hoping to go tomorrow to purchase 1-2 weanlings and one of the mares. Can you post the link to the farm’s information? Thanks!

Here’s what an 8 year old Thoroughbred mare with no papers goes for in California. This is last month’s auction at Mike’s Livestock Auction in Mira Loma, CA. Mike’s and the Euclid Stockyard are the closest low-level auction houses which would be close to Stronach’s leftovers. Hip #932 goes for $280 at just after 51:00 on the video.
https://www.facebook.com/mikeslivestockauction/videos/175815693306413/

Obviously Stronach --if this is Stronach–didn’t want to pay the CTBA fees to have them go through the January sale.

If a major breeder produces unregistered babies not even worth the couple of hundred dollars it would take to be put in a legitimate TB sale and sends mares off with stud fees unpaid, I’m disgusted. That’s no better than a puppy mill.

3 Likes

I sent you the contact information. Did you get it? If you go today, could you look at lot #3 for me? The mare She’s a Lovi Dovi?

This auction is a little heartbreaking… and being on the East Coast and about 2 or 3 years away from pursuing another project… uggh. You are right about that Musketier filly… what a steal! He’s a favorite TB stallion of mine to dream about breeding to one day.

The one that is just killing me is #31… Fonda Ronda Two. I wish this was close by, and I was in a different farm situation (working on moving to a larger place soon) and could afford one more older broodmare to just look at, and dote on at home. And maybe get a nice foal from… I’d go pick her up right now. As it is… I really worry she will end up in a tough spot.

Maybe someone in California interested in breeding a good eventer, or a TB mare with bloodlines like this to a nice KWPN stallion for jumping, will go get her for a song and give her a soft landing. I like her build in what I can see on video, and love her pedigree…

https://www.pedigreequery.com/fonda+ronda+two

1 Like

That sweet old grey mare too… #28, Wekiva Mist. Really nicely bred old girl. She is in her late teens… looks like there might be a bid on her. I hope she ends up somewhere ok…

https://www.pedigreequery.com/wekiva+mist

I’m up north but have been following and even signed up to bid. I need a horse or horses like a hole in the head, but I’m worried, esp about the ones being sold as grade. I’ve been wishing there was a way to offer ones that don’t sell a soft landing, any ideas? If you are going in person would you be willing to be a proxy? I can PM you my cell number and we can talk.

I’m up north as well and need a horse like a hole in the head, but I have a bid in on one. If you have any ideas about how to help these horses I’m game. Do you have a shipping plan?

From what I understand bidding online works unless you get outbid during the live auction.

I’m fuzzy on that too, though I’d be fine being outbid! As far as shipping, I was going to touch base with the two commercial shippers I use locally, or we could do it if we had to. Would be happy to bring one back for you or share the ride.

Good luck to all of you in the area going to check it out. Do you mind updating? I may have an eventing breeder friend a bit further North I could talk into one of the older, but nicely bred broodmares.

And # 60 - that Musketier filly… praying she goes to a great home.

I called Blew By U and Felicia said that Billy was leaving for Arizona on Sunday and could possibly pick up a horse on his way back. If you do it, I would be delighted to share expenses. When I spoke to the woman at the ranch yesterday, they want all the horses out by Tuesday but can make arrangements if necessary to hold them over.

There are several horses that look like they could make at least broodmares for sport horses or sporthorses themselves. And some very nice foals. All I can do is hope that lots of people show up and bid.

BTW

This is City Wolf

https://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-register/stallions/167348/city-wolf

Looks like others are interested already as bids have been placed, but #33 and #53… both are LOVELY broodmares! #53 (Snow Angel) in particular…

I need to stop looking at this. It’s killing me. Some really nice older mares.

Ha! I just left her a message lol. Anyway, yes that would be great. I’ll touch base with my other go-to as well. I’ll send a PM with my cell.

FWIW this isn’t the Stronach family. For one thing, they own North Light and Shaman Ghost so fees wouldn’t be owing. Secondly the breeder of some of the foals are listed in Equineline.

My guess considering the number, the urgency and the fact that no registration or stud fees are paid is that this is someone who completely ran out of money or the creditors.

If someone wants to rescue something, please look at the older mares. They are going to need it.

If any of you know eventing breeders in the area, some of those older mares would be worthwhile. So sad…

@Pronzini Is the auction not at the farm he purchased recently in Helmet? My cursory internet research seemed to indicate it was the same place; combined with the fact that he apparently did something similar at his Alberta location.

Although some one of the mares have the previous farm owner as the last breeder of record, others have Stronach as the last breeder of record. I wonder if he acquired their stock in the farm purchase? But I also wondered what the deal is with the stallions and fees, since they are his…