Unlimited access >

No more vaccines

I had totally forgotten about this, but this new thread reminded me - maybe he’s simply allergic to the silicone?
Source for monoject non-lubricated needles - Horse Care - Chronicle Forums (chronofhorse.com)

3 Likes

@JB My vet mentioned this when he was out, I didn’t realize that was a possibility until then either.

@candyappy - Charlie didnt have a reaction to the IN flu/rhino in the fall. Vet said they tend to be less reactive to those as a rule (while he was knocking on wood). Im not sure how they are different…no needle; not sure if they also contain adjuvant like the injectables do. There aren’t a lot of options though; flu/rhino and strangles was my understanding. They can do those IN as that is a way to contract the disease? Something like that.

3 Likes

I have a horse who is sensitive to vaccines, albeit not in the way others are describing here. Still, my vet does do what she can intranasal rather than injection.

2 Likes

No, I’m not “nuts”.

I AM a veterinarian, and to my mind there are a heck of a lot of strategies that have not been attempted here to reduce the risk of vaccination to the equid, and reduce the risk of public health issues to the humans and other equids near it, before pronouncing said equid “unvaccinatable”.

15 Likes

Sorry trubi, I shouldn’t have replied to you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No problem.

I agree that there are lots of steps to try.

I know in my case we did try lots of things.

I am going to ask my vet about our options for nasal spray vaccines when they are out vaccinating everyone else.

I think it is great that people are discussing things.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll see what she says when vaccine time comes around again. He’s still covered for a couple more months.

We have a few cases every year, but it’s not horrible. Once a year is fine here because as you know it’s April 1 and there is a foot of snow on the ground. So for WNV, we vaccinate for the mosquito season.

1 Like

It’s melting fast, but it was very pretty this morning. :grinning:

We’ll see what his vet says this summer when he’s due again. I wonder how actual “herd immunity” plays into this? I suppose horse-to-horse type illnesses, such as flu, rhino, and strangles might be safe, whereas mosquito borne diseases, such as WNV and rabies are scarier.

1 Like

yeah, In your situation, flu, rhino and strangles aren’t a big worry.

But vector borne diseases like EEE, WEE and WNV are an issue

And of course rabies. MN doesn’t have a high rabies incidence, but we do have it. Skunks and bats seem to be the big problem here

Animals Tests for Rabies, by Species and Test Result, 2003-2020 (state.mn.us)

2 Likes

Thank you!

Update!

I had an occasion to talk to our vet about Tony. The plan is to follow a strict anti-inflammatory pre- and post- vaccination in order to give only the essentials every 3 years or so. Rabies is the biggest worry. He’s had solid vaccinations and boosters for his first three years.

6 Likes

Where I live there are lots of horses that do not get vaccinated. I had one in my barn who reacted so badly to vaccines they stopped vaccinating that particular horse. This was many years ago but she had lived a long healthy life.

My horse does get vaccinated but three other horses in the barn do not get vaccinated so far they picture of health.

2 Likes