Unlimited access >

No WEG for Sharbatly

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7741573]
horsesinternational.com
“Albert Voorn was asked by BVA Auctions to let people try out Tobalio in anticipation of the auction. Voorn reacted: “I said that everybody was welcome to ride him, except for Sharbatly. Then the horse was not tried out.”
Al Sharbatly was very disappointed in Albert Voorn after that comment. “I think that a rider of his age and service record should not make such statements. Therefore I will not degrade myself in responding to this. My answer will be in the ring, when I win!”, says Sharbatly rather resentful. “I understand very well that the lead up to the auction was a difficult time for many of the previous riders of these top horses and I understand that emotions run high. However, the auction was open to everyone and I have bought the horses with my own money. It’s not my fault that no one has bought the horse for Voorn.””

His yellow card;

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?315026-Abdullah-al-Sharbatly-warning-for-quot-abuse-to-the-horse-quot[/QUOTE]

Wow, love that Albert Vroon said that. A lot of the riders in Europe are so dependent on the Saudi’s financially that they won’t say boo about anything.

I think you’ll find that for the great majority it is exactly the opposite.

[QUOTE=Coreene;7741899]
I think you’ll find that for the great majority it is exactly the opposite.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the ones that have abused their horses in some way are so high profile, that it makes everyone else look bad and overshadows those who might be trying to do the right thing.

In other words, one bad apple can spoil the whole lot.

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7741919]
Unfortunately, the ones that have abused their horses in some way are so high profile, that it makes everyone else look bad and overshadows those who might be trying to do the right thing.

In other words, one bad apple can spoil the whole lot.[/QUOTE]Between what I quoted and the comment about Middle Easterners on the podium, it’s more like a nasty generalization.

Sharbatly however, continues to be all about himself.

Ascot is now sponsored by Quatar, and ego seems to be a problem with some of the privileged from that nation as well. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/10962669/How-Royal-Ascot-procession-became-a-bumpy-ride.html

Gossip;http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/11049521/Is-revenge-a-dish-best-served-cold-for-the-Queen.html

Skydy, across the board there are issues with ego. If it had been, say, a Belgian who had behaved like an asshole and treated horses poorly, or someone Japanese etc., the generalization wouldn’t have been there.

As for the procession, it would have been perceived as a slight, crossed wire or not. Rude? Yes. But, again, ego and treating horses poorly is not limited to one geographic region.

For a dyslexic like me, these middle eastern names are becoming an alphabet quagmire.

Back in the days when the leaders of Dubai were investing heavily in racehorses, the names were shortened to Sheikh Mo and Sheikh Hamden.

Now you cannot tell the players, even with a scorecard.

Can anyone explain the equestrian players of the various middle eastern countries?

PS: Love the brouhaha over the Queen’s carriages at Royal Ascot. Also love the auction story.

[QUOTE=Coreene;7742359]
Skydy, across the board there are issues with ego. If it had been, say, a Belgian who had behaved like an asshole and treated horses poorly, or someone Japanese etc., the generalization wouldn’t have been there.

As for the procession, it would have been perceived as a slight, crossed wire or not. Rude? Yes. But, again, ego and treating horses poorly is not limited to one geographic region.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of the entitled attitudes we see from some of the Middle Eastern nation stems more from the fact that many of the offenders are royal princes who grew up being taught that certain rules don’t apply to them.

[QUOTE=Mara;7742474]
I think a lot of the entitled attitudes we see from some of the Middle Eastern nation stems more from the fact that many of the offenders are royal princes who grew up being taught that certain rules don’t apply to them.[/QUOTE]

yup. and they make everyone else from their region look bad.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/qatari-riders-rebuked-hartpury/

I’m not sure I could watch the Asian Games.

I appreciate the comments, guys. Abuse is widespread, but the fact that no one has stepped up to say something about the abuse from their corner simply because of the fact they are being heavily influenced by money is ridiculous. Anyone remember the abuse scandal in Poland that involved Tina Kunyot(?) from someone who worked at the farm? That was right out there in plain space. There are videos and pictures on the internet about it because despite the fact of not wanting it to get out there, they did it anyway. But because these are people with huge amounts of money invested in the sport, snubbing them when they need to be snubbed would be absolutely impossible to do because of that.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7742993]

I’m not sure I could watch the Asian Games.[/QUOTE]

while Hassan Al-Naimi took a wrong turn and jumped the string to rectify his error

what the eff? When a course is mapped out you follow said course not just jump the strings. I don’t care if they are “new” that’s just common sense!

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7742993]

I’m not sure I could watch the Asian Games.[/QUOTE]

I read the article and was appalled. I can’t imagine jumping a string or refusing to pull up after three stops is simply due to “inexperience”. The guy saying that is just afraid to speak ill of the people in his yard who are probably paying him a ton of $$$ to train those !bleeps!

those infractions are made by people with huge egos who don’t think the rules apply to them.

[QUOTE=MonterStables;7743006]
Anyone remember the abuse scandal in Poland that involved Tina Kunyot(?) from someone who worked at the farm? That was right out there in plain space. There are videos and pictures on the internet about it because despite the fact of not wanting it to get out there, they did it anyway. [/QUOTE]

That involved Tina Konyot in that the farm in Poland where the abuse was occurring was owned by a disputed co-owner (not listed as an owner on USEF recording) of her horse, Calecto V. It’s not as if she were covering up abuse on her farm.

As to not pulling up after 3 stops…well, sometimes its hard to tell. Gin&Juice finished at the WEGs after having 3, because they weren’t sure they’d had them. That in and of itself isn’t so crazy to have happen, especially if you’ve got something that maybe was, maybe wasn’t a “stop,” or you didn’t realize you missed the flags on a fence or something. But to get a yellow card for it, I’d imagine you’d have to not pull up when someone’s flagging you down to stop, or jump after 3 clear refusals at one fence, something pretty blatant. Jumping the string is just scary though!

Thanks to this thread, though, I pulled up all the rider-horse-swapping videos from SJ at the last WEG! Are they doing the final four the same way this time?

Yes they are… at least that Sharbatly guy won’t be one of them…still can’t figure out HOW he got where he got at WEG 2010! And his poor mare now… ugh… makes me sick to think money can buy anything, even the conscience of some vets.

[QUOTE=JenEM;7743121]
That involved Tina Konyot in that the farm in Poland where the abuse was occurring was owned by a disputed co-owner (not listed as an owner on USEF recording) of her horse, Calecto V. It’s not as if she were covering up abuse on her farm.

As to not pulling up after 3 stops…well, sometimes its hard to tell. Gin&Juice finished at the WEGs after having 3, because they weren’t sure they’d had them. That in and of itself isn’t so crazy to have happen, especially if you’ve got something that maybe was, maybe wasn’t a “stop,” or you didn’t realize you missed the flags on a fence or something. But to get a yellow card for it, I’d imagine you’d have to not pull up when someone’s flagging you down to stop, or jump after 3 clear refusals at one fence, something pretty blatant. Jumping the string is just scary though!

Thanks to this thread, though, I pulled up all the rider-horse-swapping videos from SJ at the last WEG! Are they doing the final four the same way this time?[/QUOTE]

I’m not saying she did. I didn’t really remember specifics, but I remember she was connected to the said case some how. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7742921]
yup. and they make everyone else from their region look bad.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry you feel this way because of one bad apple. There are some very good horseman and riders from the Middle East, and I can link videos of healthy happy horses jumping if you are interested.

[QUOTE=MAD;7743372]
I’m sorry you feel this way because of one bad apple. There are some very good horseman and riders from the Middle East, and I can link videos of healthy happy horses jumping if you are interested.[/QUOTE]

I never said I felt that way. I’m merely explaining why some people are so negative about riders from the middle east.

Don’t jump to conclusions so quickly otherwise you are going to look just as bad as the people you are complaining about.

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7743388]

Don’t jump to conclusions so quickly otherwise you are going to look just as bad as the people you are complaining about.[/QUOTE]

I apologize if I misunderstood you. I was polite to you, so no need to snark at me. As for comment above, you are way out of line.

[QUOTE=MAD;7743372]
I’m sorry you feel this way because of one bad apple. There are some very good horseman and riders from the Middle East, and I can link videos of healthy happy horses jumping if you are interested.[/QUOTE]

I, for one, would love to see vids not because they’re from the middle east but because I enjoy watching good riders and good horses from anywhere.

The bottom line is there are some really crappy, over-entitled people in the world, location/race/religion be damned. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled Sharbatly isn’t competing. I thought he was tactless and disrespectful in general at WEG–and I had seats right by the ingate and warm up and witnessed/heard a lot that final night. However I’m really surprised/disturbed by some of the generalized hatred coming from some people. Fine if you can’t stand one person or even a few but don’t paint that large a brush. That’s like when I go over to work in Europe and my colleagues take one look at me and go, “Oh, American. Great. Horribly broken German, never shuts up about Christianity, can’t be on time for anything, and she’s probably packing a gun and probably going to shoot all of us like Dick Cheney. Stupid Americans, they’re all like that.” There are some that do judge me like that and then there are plenty others who give me a chance (provided I’m on time LOL).