Unlimited access >

No WEG for Sharbatly

Just announced he won’t compete. Could it be he has ruined his new mount or fall out from the Le Jeune article? Who knows.

Can’t say I’m sad to not see him compete…

P.

I’m glad he can’t compete.

[QUOTE=MonterStables;7740493]
Just announced he won’t compete. Could it be he has ruined his new mount or fall out from the Le Jeune article? Who knows.[/QUOTE]

I imagine the guy has a pretty big ego so I can’t see him dropping out unless there is a physical problem with his horse or if he thinks he might get caught in a drug test.

My only regret is that Hickstead didn’t dump him on his you-know-what at the last WEG.

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7740777]
I imagine the guy has a pretty big ego so I can’t see him dropping out unless there is a physical problem with his horse or if he thinks he might get caught in a drug test.

My only regret is that Hickstead didn’t dump him on his you-know-what at the last WEG.[/QUOTE]

I think that’s everyone’s regret in all honesty.

As for why, we can only merely speculate. However, I’d like to think that Philippe’s allegations had something to do with it.

[QUOTE=MonterStables;7740784]
I think that’s everyone’s regret in all honesty.[/QUOTE]

HicksteadSharbatly1.jpg

Can have the back story on this guy? I have no idea who he is but apparently he’s not well liked.

[QUOTE=Nikki^;7740905]
Can have the back story on this guy? I have no idea who he is but apparently he’s not well liked.[/QUOTE]

Others can correct me if I’m wrong/elaborate, but I don’t think he’s the most tactful, kind rider – and has put that on display in the ring a few times. I think many (not all, but many) of the Middle Eastern riders don’t really have a love for the horses; they’re machines to do a job. :confused:

Here’s Sharbatly on Hickstead in 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfLEIvxsX4o

[QUOTE=MonterStables;7740788]
As for why, we can only merely speculate. However, I’d like to think that Philippe’s allegations had something to do with it.[/QUOTE]

???

oh Hickstead…how we miss you!!

[QUOTE=hoopoe;7740938]
???[/QUOTE]

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?445575-Philippe-Le-Jeune-s-article-about-Seldana-Di-Campalto/page2

go read the first page.

[QUOTE=FalseImpression;7740940]
oh Hickstead…how we miss you!![/QUOTE]

Oh god, I miss him so much. Not to get off track, but I found this incredibly touching tribute video today and I was crying in my office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-tGorrGwZw

Thanks Monter I had seen that original posting and failed to connect it up.

[QUOTE=hoopoe;7741199]
Thanks Monter I had seen that original posting and failed to connect it up.[/QUOTE]

No problem. I mean, Philippe has a lot of credibility and the way I figure, you can’t make horse abuse allegations against someone and not expect them to take it seriously- however, knowing Sharbatly has a history of horse abuse from a Belgian show where he flacked off at a steward for reprimanding him among other things, I wouldn’t be surprised if this has something to do with it. The way that the world is going, they don’t put up with things like that.

Perhaps the FEI should ban cell phones on the podium. This is really a no-brainer (DUUUUHHHH), apparently except for folks from the middle east who are so disrespectful they can’t stay off them for that short period of time.
Why is it so hard for some adults to practice simple cell phone etiquette? My goodness, that would seem simple compared to learning how to ride well enough to be in the WEG.
This action says volumes about the individual, the country they are representing (or are supposed to be representing) and the culture there.

[QUOTE=WB Mom;7741382]
Perhaps the FEI should ban cell phones on the podium. This is really a no-brainer (DUUUUHHHH), apparently except for folks from the middle east who are so disrespectful they can’t stay off them for that short period .[/QUOTE]

You would think its a no-brainier and that common courtesy would dictate not using your cell phone while on a victory podium but obviously that is not the case. I wouldn’t expect a rule to be necessary but perhaps it is. Has anyone else done this at the 2014 WEG?

The entity that posted this news on FB used the picture of him on the podium with cell phone to ear.

I LOVED it. – Given that there must be tons of pictures of him jumping, the cell-phone-on-thepodium picture says it all.

Well, not quite all… The pictures of Hickstead racing around the arena at warp speed while Sharbatly had his hands and eyes raised to thank Allah, is a close second.

The other riders treated the strange horses with kid gloves, very aware that a mistake or mis-step could harm an incredibly valuable horse, while Sharbatly rode Hickstead balls out because winning was everything.

ICK.

this should pretty much sum it up I’m assuming these are his words "“This is so sad and stupid! Tobalio has a starting injury. He could jump but the risk is too big.”

Recently Sharbatly already felt that Tobalio (by Numero Uno), having been ridden by Albert Voorn before, didn’t feel very well. "I felt that he wasn’t fit so we went to the clinic. The vet told me that it would be better not going to the WEG. It’s not serious yet, but if I went, it could get really bad. In order to protect him he will be at rest for eight weeks now. "

Looks like he’s paying attention to the horse’s health. Who owns the horse? does he or someone else?

http://horsesinternational.com/sport/sharbatly-tobalio-beginning-injury/

horsesinternational.com
“Albert Voorn was asked by BVA Auctions to let people try out Tobalio in anticipation of the auction. Voorn reacted: “I said that everybody was welcome to ride him, except for Sharbatly. Then the horse was not tried out.”
Al Sharbatly was very disappointed in Albert Voorn after that comment. “I think that a rider of his age and service record should not make such statements. Therefore I will not degrade myself in responding to this. My answer will be in the ring, when I win!”, says Sharbatly rather resentful. “I understand very well that the lead up to the auction was a difficult time for many of the previous riders of these top horses and I understand that emotions run high. However, the auction was open to everyone and I have bought the horses with my own money. It’s not my fault that no one has bought the horse for Voorn.””

His yellow card;

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?315026-Abdullah-al-Sharbatly-warning-for-quot-abuse-to-the-horse-quot