Unlimited access >

Non amateur showing in amateur classes

The “Pick Your Pace” class! :rofl:

3 Likes

I think I’m going to follow up. Since I have clients that actually came from that barn, they have invoices with lessons from her on that. Saddest part is my adult client in that class is in the middle of hard core chemo and shouldn’t have to deal with this

13 Likes

It seems you have your answer-- make a formal complaint to the USEF. You also seem to have proof-- the invoices you just mentioned. It will cost you the fee to file (check the USEF website).

However, having had a friend who was a pro for a couple of years, (assistant trainer-- not her own business) got her amateur status back, changed disciplines and began competing as an amateur in that discipline who got shamed and gossiped about and had someone file on her, you’d better be sure you’re correct in your assumption… Nothing worse than a false accusation that destroys a decent person’s reputation. So many hard feelings, friends lost, bitterness. It was unnecessary and unpleasant for everyone. In my friend’s case, she is just that good of a rider, and does EVERYTHING by the rules, sometimes to her detriment.

4 Likes

I tend not to like people who cheat, even if they are otherwise very nice people. They know they are cheating and they don’t have enough morals not to do it.

6 Likes

To go with this thought that several people have posted - how long does it take to get your ammy status back now?

Is it a year to get amateur status back? Too lazy to google.

I know it used to be more than that, I do not remember what it is now. Google hates me and my attempt to search was unsuccessful so I asked.

It is information the OP could use so I thought I would just bring it up.

1 Like

Readily available in the “Rules” section on the USEF website:
https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/nT3TlM3v0NA/gr13-competition-participants-and

Click the link for the whole Amateur Status section, but here is the section on reinstatement:

" 4. Any professional who wishes to be reclassified as an amateur on the grounds that he/she has not engaged in the activities which made him/her a professional within the last twelve months must complete the reclassification process outlined below.

a. Such person shall submit to the Hearing Committee an amateur reclassification request which is supported by:

i. A notarized letter signed by him briefly outlining his previous horse related professional activities and outlining his current activities performed within the twelve months since professional activities have ceased;

ii. Two or more notarized letters from any Active Competing Federation members stating the relationship with the applicant, outlining the applicants activities for the previous twelve-month period, and testifying that the applicant has not engaged in any activities which would make him a professional as outlined in GR1306 during that period;

iii. A processing fee; and

iv. Sign and declare amateur status on a current Federation membership application or through an online status declaration. The burden of proof of proving amateur status is on the applicant. The Hearing Committee may call for and/or consider any and all further evidence and facts which it deems pertinent. The decision of the Hearing Committee on the reclassification request shall be final.

v. EXCEPTION: Any amateur 25 and under, who has engaged in professional activities (as defined herein) may reapply for their amateur status utilizing a 3-month waiting period. The 3- month option is only available for a one-time use. Any subsequent application for amateur status would require a twelve-month waiting period."

1 Like

Can I just say, as someone who has been eligible for reinstatement since February 2021, what a ROYAL pain in the ass this is? WHY is USEF still stuck in the dark ages for this particular procedure? Trying to gather notarized letters from friends in other states and coordinate with a notarized letter of my own has taken a ridiculous amount of time - I still haven’t actually submitted the packet - due to work/meet-up schedules. Is this really something that can’t be handled online? Or could they at least allow us to scan/email the notarized letters, once gathered?

Harumph. Sorry. I’m a bit grumpy about the whole ordeal. Especially considering that my “professional activities” consisted of five years of teaching college students (in one of 7 courses I taught at the time) how to lead, groom, longe, etc.

3 Likes

Sadly, cheating of all sorts in the horse world (or anywhere in the world for that matter) is so common that karma rarely catches up. These days cheating is normalized, and in horses be it “shamateurs”, doping, green eligibility, etc it seems that the attitude is “everyone does it so it’s no big deal”. Until our culture really changes to value integrity and honesty again, nothing will happen to cheaters. Sad.

4 Likes

I am confused why a person reporting someone who is breaking the rules is at risk of hurting their business and being called a complainer and a tattle tale?

No wonder there are so many people cheating.

I guess so. Even worse, a person asking about it is called a complainer and a tattle tale.

How weird things are.

Edit to add - Thank you @weixiao for finding that information and posting it.

9 Likes

I was protested as a young amateur for a cross entry thing where I actually had to move my one horse up to a HIGHER level to show the other one in a low level because I couldn’t do the AO and show the lower level horse under the rules at the time. The steward just came and had a chat with me and agreed I was ok and then that was it. The particular cross entry I did was subsequently not allowed in that zone some years later, but at the time I was ok.

I also just went through amateur reinstatement last spring, and it was a huge pain in the ass. But most UPS Stores have notaries at least, which were open during COVID restrictions. I think it’s super dumb to have your member make other members pay and go somewhere in person to have their letter notarized. I mean, do they really need to swear under oath that someone else is following the rules? I am an attorney, and the majority of my clients’ contracts don’t get notarized these days unless needed to file with a government entity (usually in another country).

3 Likes

I’m envious. I’m a lawyer too and since most of my work has an international component, I constantly need things notarized/apostilled. I was joking with my boyfriend the other day that I’ll know I’ve “made it” when I have a notary on staff.

FedEx and UPS stores are easy places to get things notarized and it’s quick and inexpensive. The bank is also an option and depending on your bank/branch I’m told they sometimes don’t charge you. So while I agree, requiring a notary is maybe a bit of over kill in the process, it isn’t a terribly challenging hurdle either, as long as the friend writing the statement doesn’t live terribly far from a FedEx/UPS store or a bank (which I do appreciate in some parts of the country, some people might).

2 Likes

I guess I am just spoiled. I know several people who are notaries. There are three who work in the same office I do (and notary is not part of their day job).

I never imagined it was hard to find a notary.

Report to show steward and then to USEF. Have the entries handy and her posts. Get statements from “customers” even if they are unaware of the purpose of your inquiry. If she is college age, find out if she has a riding scholarship at college as leverage -that’s another no-no. Maybe speak to her directly if the situation arises and mention that there is an issue with her showing in ammy classes - it may not “un-do” the past, but perhaps she will think twice henceforth. Get a copy of her boarding or other contracts she may have for customers - see if it includes a consignment fee, etc. Screenshot her posts.

You are aware that the letters can be sent separately, right?

You just need your friends to mail theirs and you mail yours. Done.

Em

I wouldn’t even know where to find a notary and I know it would be extremely inconvenient to try and make my trainer and her assistant (2 adult USEF members who can corroborate my activities) find one as well.

I am astounded by how many posters say finding a notary is difficult. Most banks have a notary on staff at all times. Highly unusual for them not to ensure that at least of the the employees scheduled isn’t one. Usually there are multiples there at a time.

8 Likes

My bank doesn’t have a branch within 1000 miles and IME the last time I was looking for a notary services were only available to banking customers. I was unable to get the form notarized that I needed.