Unlimited access >

Non-Breed Specific Registries

Talk to me about registry options when you don’t have a clue, let alone proof of your horse’s breed and/or lineage.

I’ve been told that some color registries don’t care what the breeding is because it’s strictly a “color” registry.

My horse is 14.1 or 2 hands (so she’s pony by height-but not sure about breed!)
She is a true buckskin with black points and dapples.

Clearly I have no idea what breed she is, have no way to prove it, but wanted to know what options I have in registries.

I know that show organization registries don’t care about breed; anything else?

Is there just color options after that?

The Buckskin Registry seems pretty easy…send in 8 pictures and pay the fee and your horse is registered.

Why would you need to register her at all? If you plan to show but the organizers don’t care, there’s no reason to register her unless you want to breed sale babies or sell her to a breeder.

If she’s stock horse looking, you may try the Quarter Pony Association.

Wasn’t there a performance horse registry at one point?

I think it’s not a bad idea to have a horse (even a grade one) registered with an association.

American Warmblood Society

http://www.americanwarmblood.org/

I like having a paper trail of my horses. Up until this point I had only owned pure bred, registered horses with proven lineage. This horse has changed hands 6 times in her 5 years and I don’t know anything about her parents.

I think it’s good for resale to have some type of registration proving ownership, kind of like a title to a car. This horse has the potential to be a very lovely horse in an array of disciplines and when I decide to sell her I want to have some solid paperwork. When I obtained her all I got was a bill of sale and a coggins. The bill of sale might save me from being accused of stealing this horse from her previous owner, but it doesn’t necessarily prove that she wasn’t stolen before that. I want to protect for the future. In my area, there are color classes at shows and you do have to be registered with a color registry, so that’s how I came across that. She is quite a striking horse color wise with being a buckskin who has tons of dapples. I don’t necessarily condone backyard breeding, especially because we don’t even know what breed she is, but if she did make something of a sport horse, as she shows promise to, she might be a good broodmare at some point in her life, and at least a color registry will make that venture more legit. kind of.

anyways, I can always register her with the color registry, but didn’t know if there were other ventures to explore.

I’m only familiar with TBs. Papers don’t prove ownership there, just that the horse is registered. I’d have to have a bill of sale (and I don’t, actually, just the cancelled check) to “prove” Jared sold me Lucky… I’d make sure the registry you’re looking at tracks ownership and not just the horse’s identity. The fact I have Lucky’s papers doesn’t prove a thing about how I came by him. If you need them to show I guess that’s one thing if you want to go color classes. But in general papers just prove who a horse is, not who owns them (I don’t think a lot of people ever even update the registries that do track ownership) so you wouldn’t be establishing ownership as much as a paper trail beginning with you.

Registration papers for even DNA checked purebred horses such as Arabians do not prove ownership in a court of law. Unlike the Jockey Club, the Arabian Horse Registry (AHR) does track ownership and transfers. The papers are also needed to show in the Arabian circuit or breed (if you want a registerable foal -purebred and anglo-arabs only). However, as I said, registration papaers are not legal proof of ownership. BOS, boarding receipts, vet & farrier bills would be weighted much more heavily in court.

Not sure an organization that registers horses or ponies of unknown pedigree and uncertain age would mean much. There are plenty of “registries” that will take your money though.

We once bought a horse that was registered with something along the lines of The Canadian Spotted Horse Registry. The papers looked like they were printed off a regular computer using Word and WordArt with a gold sticker in the corner that looked like what teachers give their students. We joked that we were going to start our own registry after that because those were the most unofficial “official” papers we had ever seen.

I think there actually IS a buckskin registry, for what it’s worth. Quarter pony might also be a possibility. I don’t know about AWB/AWS. I think you have to know who at least one parent is for that.