Unlimited access >

Non-riding Equestrian Professionals: Tell me about your career!

Hello all!

After completing my freshman of university this year, questions about educational paths, career possibilities, and my future with horses are front and center in my mind. The more I weigh my options and think about what kind of lifestyle I want to lead, the more I realize that I want horses to be an integral part of my career.

Riding professionally has never real held much appeal to me because I am not a fundamentally competitive person, and while I very much enjoy the process of training, I can’t envision myself doing it on a professional scale.

Who I would love to hear from are those in the niches of the equestrian world: those in management positions (for professional riders and training facilities), equine chiropractors, those involved in equine sports medicine, equestrian facility planning and design, equestrian magazine writers/reporters/editors, equine nutritionists, sporthorse breeders and geneticists, saddle fitters, equine product designers – if you work with horses in any respect as part of your career but don’t ride to earn your living, I want to hear about your job!

I would love to learn about the day-to-day experience (good and bad!), of these and similar professions as well as educational background, career path, income range, clientele, and lifestyle.

If you can spare a few moments to share your story and help me brainstorm about careers in the equine industry, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Bump for the 9-5 crowd?

Horse show management or stewarding if you don’t mind travel. Managing a horse club. Know people who do all of those and seem to love it, but don’t think the pay is enormous.

If you have good people skills (or are willing to acquire people skills), there are jobs in the equine-assisted activities and therapies (EAAT) fields that do not necessarily involve riding. And more importantly, don’t require you to be a fabulous trainer. There are traditional office-type management jobs in this industry – bookkeeping, executive director, development, administrative assistant – and there are program jobs – instructor, therapist, horse handler, barn manager, volunteer coordinator, program director. Unless you already live in one of the hotbed areas (DFW metroplex, for example), most people who get full-time jobs in this industry end up relocating for the job. There are jobs, and there are jobs that pay a living wage, but not at the volume of a more mainstream career.

I work for a university as a barn manager. Disclaimer: this position looks VERY different depending on the program, size, funding, etc. But this has been my experience.

Pros: Having a reliable paycheck. Great health, disability, and retirement (if I made it that far) benefits. Lots of paid time off when I can find time to take it. Resources like an accountant, legal, risk management, etc. It’s not my money. (Obviously there’s a budget I’m expected to stick to, but if there’s a crisis, I will never have to choose between eating and fixing the tractor.) When all is going well, I have a pretty flexible schedule. I can sometimes go in late to have breakfast with my SO, sneak away for a mid-day doctors appointment, or cut my day short when I’ve just had enough. No two days are the same and if I’ve burnt out on a project, I can usually switch gears for a day or two and come back to it. While my job doesn’t involve formal teaching (either classroom or lessons), I love training my staff or teaching the student leaders about horse health. I take a lot of pride in my well trained staff actually.

Cons: Pay sucks. It’s just barely a living wage and definitely not comfortable. University officials do not understand how a barn works, and trying to communicate why I have to buy the more expensive hay, or why this crisis has be dealt with NOW, or why this isn’t safe (or is safe) can be very frustrating. For example, we have an annual safety walk through which is next to useless. Last year their recommendations included having all hay storage behind fireproof walls/in fireproof buildings AND to never stack hay more than 4 (small, 40lb) bales high. :rolleyes:

We don’t receive any funding from the school, so we have to be completely self sustainable, including the mortgage, taxes, some insurance, etc. It’s a real challenge balancing that with staying affordable enough for students. The students will also make you want to rip your hair out some days. They can be the best and worst part of this job. My role is odd because I don’t oversee the students, the students run the club which I sort of work for… so it becomes this odd dynamic sometimes. But we are weird.

And horses. And acreage. Last week, in the middle of summer camp, one of our beginner horses presented with a snotty nose and had to be semi-quarantined. Two other beginner horses came up lame for two weeks. And another ate a plastic bag that a student left in his stall with a carrot in it “for just a minute.” Plus something is always flooding and freezing and breaking and some boarder is always pissed about something.

Like I said, when everything is going right, my schedule can be pretty cushy, but when everything is going wrong, I have worked 80-100 hour weeks before. I am also ALWAYS working. My cell phone is never turned off. This can be exceptionally frustrating when I’m working with other University staff who “understand, because I had a long week too.” What they actually mean is they worked until 8 one night. What I mean is I haven’t gotten a day off in 6 weeks. Universities also don’t understand that barns are 24/7 operations and that I can’t postpone approval for the emergency thing just because it’s a holiday.

I have a BA in “Outdoor Leadership” from a non-prestigious state school. I ran my equestrian team in college and got a TON of business, management, and sales experience during summer jobs. I think the business and management experience at such a young age is what really set me apart from many of the candidates. I also worked abroad for an adventure education company for a year before taking this job. While that’s not a traditional route, I think it helped me land this job because we fall under the outdoor programing department (think backpacking, paddling, climbing, etc.) so I am able to relate well about topics of safety, goals of outdoor education, etc.

My parents didn’t support my riding more than a bare minimum so I knew I didn’t have the riding/training/showing resume for a job like this. So I really padded my resume with the other useful skills.

To move up from here I would probably need a Masters Degree. For many universities, that is an entry level requirement regardless of the position. I make $32,000 per year before they take out everything for those nice benefits. Our school is large and fairly competitive so most of our students are pretty smart and most of their families are middle to upper-middle class with some very privileged kids thrown in. We also offer lessons to non-students, and those people are youth-adults, middle class. Very few own horses, and our lesson horse string is what brings them here.

I’m young, especially for my role, in my mid-20’s and I would say my lifestyle is pretty typical with money being more of an issue for me than some of my friends. I do have a horse I keep on a tight budget (with free board), but showing isn’t even an option. I rent a small apartment with my SO, but before he moved here I could only afford a bedroom in a house. My social life suffers because friends don’t understand the requirements of my job. And if you’re after any university position, you have to be willing to be a bit nomadic. If I want to move up, I will have to move far away. It’s not like there’s another one down the street I can go to. SO stays busy with his job an hobbies so he doesn’t become too resentful, but I’m not sure how I could possibly fit children into this equation.

Overall I like my job. I get to work with ponies while having the security of a “real job.” It’s also nice to say that I work for a The University instead of ABC Little Barn. That also allows me to keep my options open when I move on. It’s more transferable.

Sorry for the novel. :slight_smile:

DH is the general manager for his mother’s dude ranch, Southern Cross Guest Ranch. His day is usually a mix of working at the guest house and working in the barn managing the riding program and all around horse needs. Also, at least here lately, he’s been the ranch’s “cover boy” any time a TV crew comes around :lol:

I work extremely indirectly in the “horse world.” I work for a veterinary practice management company teaching veterinarians how to use our software. So it kind of counts, but that really :lol:

Thanks everybody!

Thank you all for the replies!

Foxtrot, travel is definitely not a turn off :slight_smile: We have a fairly big show going on in our area, I wonder if some of the managerial positions wouldn’t mind me picking their brains…

findthedistance, the EAAT field sounds like a great idea! I imagine it is super fulfilling and that the people involved there are a special breed :slight_smile: I know there is a therapy barn near my university and I was planning on getting involved there this fall. A little chat with some of the organizers might be in order.

Wonders, I really appreciate all the detail you went into. I’m on my school’s equestrian team and have been thinking about pursuing one of their leadership positions, I think that might give me a little taste of some of the things you’re talking about. I’m at a very large university, so I definitely understand the benefits and drawbacks of university backing. And what you said about being able to work with ponies while still having job security really speaks to me!

Anyone with a science oriented career they can speak to? I’m currently pursuing biology and would love a way to combine the two loves. I’m also especially interested in anyone working in the upper levels of competition. I imagine there are lots of people involved behind the scenes there.

I do massage therapy on the side, to a few clients. I have a FT job and train my horse. It’s fun to keep learing about a subject I enjoy/helping horses but not rely on it for all my income.

I get enough “horse drama” boarding so I’m ok having a balance of a non-horse main job.

I did equine orthopeadics basic research but there is not a lot of money being put into it. The best bet if you want to do research is to have your DVM (and PhD) so you can always have a paying job as a vet. Basic science research that is more direcly realated to animals (vs general models like mouse) typically goes to those have a DVM, tenure, and some sort of clinical speciality. NIH funding has cost many people their jobs, including me, and I would suggest getting hired at a company vs academia.

I would suggest equine chiro as a less intense science-y career-- license type depends on your state though so check it out throughtly.

I’m an equine insurance agent. Fell into the job, I have a background owning and showing horses but no insurance background prior (previously worked for a recruiting company, an electrical company and an injury attorney). Agents who own their own business are on-call and/or work at their own discretion but I work a M-F/9-5 schedule, which I prefer. And I get to talk horses all day, which is fantastic. Plus, the company understands about horse showing, so we’re given flexibility in taking off for horse shows.

I’ve never worked in the horse industry. I stopped riding in college, then returned to riding after I had a professional job in another field that gave me the time and money to start riding again. However, I’ve been watching and following the fortunes of various friends, students and acquaintances who are working in equine (and other) fields.

One big difference is whether you can get a job (in any field) that pays a salary and benefits, which means being hired by a company or university or local government, or a well-endowed nonprofit. Or whether you will remain self-employed, piecing together various part-time income income streams. Most people, in any field, do better with a salaried job. Some people, of course, do manage to start up niche small businesses that flourish and grow. I believe that the founders of Ariat boots moved over from the running-shoe industry. Jonathan Schleese was a master saddle fitter and high-level competitive rider for years before starting his own saddle company. These are however exceptions, with exceptional products and excellent marketing.

These big equine companies are going to be hiring the same range of skills as comparable non-equine companies. If you click on Ariat “about us” you can go to “careers” and see a list of ten jobs for things like “director of footwear” and “web developer.” Purina Feeds Canada, via Nestle, has a list of job openings, mostly marketing and sales.

I would say talking to employers in your field is a really good first step. For instance, the only horse nutritionists I’ve been in contact with have been employed by feed companies. So you could contact a few feed companies to ask what qualifications they require. My guess is that if you wanted to do this you’d need a relevant degree.

Overall, I’d say the same rules apply as in “human” fields: the more specialized and rigorous your training, the higher and more secure your job and income. Just like human doctors do very well, compared to other professions, vets do the best in general out of all the equine practitioners. I would definitely encourage anyone with a strong sciences background and not squeamish to go into medicine or veterinary. Veterinary could also take you into the research lab, but you’d probably want to think through your position on animal research first, and see if you could handle it ethically and emotionally.

That said, everything to do specifically with horses pays less than the equivalent job with people. I think most doctors make more than most vets, and there is definitely much more funding for human medical research than equine. Managing a sporting goods store will pay more than managing a barn (and now I remember that managing the franchised tack store in our area actually pays OK for a horse job, though less than managing franchised espresso bars. For the tack shop they hired sales and marketing experience with horse interest). Teaching school or college will pay more than teaching riding. Coaching riding even at the very top is not going to pay nearly as much as coaching football at a big university. Etc.

My impression is that the various alternative health modalities can be a nice add-on if you are putting together a patchwork of part-time jobs. But for both humans and equines, I think people tend to over-estimate the amount of work available.

I can’t recall if it was on this forum or another one, but I remember a lot of posters recommending a solid business/book-keeping/marketing/ accounting background for working in horse-industry management, since those skills are so necessary, yet many horse professionals don’t have them.

I do know a bit about journalism, and I think that most horse magazines would have a small core staff on salary, then buy all their articles from freelancers. To be hired as the salaried editor, you’d need magazine production experience or training as much as the horse experience. Again, freelance journalism can be fun and an add-on to your income, but unless you are writing for the New Yorker, you are not going to make a living from it.

I suppose my advice to anyone in any field would be, figure out where your real abilities intersect with what pays reasonably well, get qualified, and then see if you can make it also intersect your personal interests. In the long run, you will be further ahead with a professional job that lets you afford to keep horses and maybe even buy property, even if it leads you away from horses in your worklife, than stuck scrambling for bits and pieces of unrelated kinds of work in the horse industry. But if you have a strong professional qualification (web developer, animal nutrition, footwear product developer, accountant, events planning, construction management, journalism, DVM) then you can move into an equine-related company or project. And if you can’t find one, you will still have interesting work that you enjoy and are good at.

People face the same dilemma in the arts, when “doing what you love” doesn’t lead to earning an income. When do you quit the band and get a day job, how long do you keep the dream alive?

I am an equine product sales rep.
Devon-Aire hired me almost 4 years ago, and encouraged me to add lines that didn’t compete…I now am the U.S rep for Hilton Herbs and have 3 other lines…saddle pads, high end jewelry and grooming supplies.
I travel to tack stores and get to talk horses!! I make my own hours so it is a great job to work the horse time into!

Farrier, Equine Dentist, and Equine Chiropractor are the ones that primarily come to mind.

At some point, I would like to be a bookkeeper/accountant for small businesses that are equine-related.

One thing that I haven’t noticed in these replies (apologies if the suggestion is already here) but you could work for one of the large breed associations. The AQHA, for instance, is a pretty big outfit, with a publications division and social media folks and those who stay on top of registrations and web designers and show facilitators and so on.

A farrier is probably the best paying job in the equine industry. Vet is good pay too, but all those uni bills make it so you won’t be out of debt for a long time. My old farrier in Seattle made about 250,000$+ a year, all untaxed! He had to pay an assistant, but still. :eek: Obviously, that is not starting pay, but even starting pay isn’t bad if you can get your reputation out there. However, it is such a hard job that you have to factor in having terrible arthritis and retiring by 50.

[QUOTE=Scribbler;8229855]
People face the same dilemma in the arts, when “doing what you love” doesn’t lead to earning an income. When do you quit the band and get a day job, how long do you keep the dream alive?[/QUOTE]

Scribbler, I totally understand where you’re coming from. I’ve been aware of the two paths that young horse people tend to take for a while now: pursuing horses professionally and, as you put it, piecing together a living, or pursuing an education and career outside of horses with the intention of becoming financially secure enough to support the lifestyle as an amateur.

As someone who, for lack of resources, did the working student gig for years, I found myself admiring the owners who could come out to ride after their desk job, had their horses kept happy and healthy by professionals, and were able keep their riding a pleasurable, recreational activity. At the same time, I saw their frustration with not being able to ride as much as they wanted, loss of motivation, and feelings of disconnect from their horses well-being. To my eye, they were living in two worlds, horses and work, and it bred a lot of frustration.

On the other hand, I saw myself and my trainer in somewhat comparable situations. As I’m sure you all know, the day-to-day grind of a farm is a far cry from that of an office. My trainer worked tirelessly in all conditions. The barn was her life. My work was physically taxing, sometimes dangerous, and all for a meager wage. But since being at school, I’ve realized how lucky I was to spend those long days with the horses and I truly wouldn’t trade it for anything. There was something invaluable about going home at the end of the day after working at something you love.

I suppose I’ve been trying to come up with a happy medium. I’m certain there are careers in the equestrian realm that can provide the security of more traditional work, I’m just not sure how I need to go about pursuing them. I think the most realistic route, as Scribbler described, is establishing widely desired skills, gaining “real” experience, and then hopefully finding a way to utilize that in a horse oriented field.

It is a dilemma. I’m a university professor so I have four non-teaching months in the summer, and get to schedule my teaching in the fall/winter to accommodate my morning riding. It’s also the only hobby I do. My other riding friends with good jobs (like lawyers) are bound to the 9 to 5 during the week, though if they are motivated, they can usually ride at least an hour every night, and do make progress. At least, the ones without children … that’s a whole other thing.

I realize I’m very lucky now, but then I also had a 20 year gap where I never thought seriously about horses: grad school, travelling, etc.

If time in the saddle is what you want, even a great job in the equine products and services field is going to keep you on the ground during work hours, though it would be much more interesting than the same job in an unrelated field.

On the other hand, even if you’re working 9 to 5, whether you can ride regularly also depends on the logistics of your particular set-up. If you can live near (or at!) the barn, your commute to and from work is not insane, and you have an indoor arena or at least a lighted outdoor, plus you actually crave time in the saddle, riding after work is doable. If you can keep your boarding costs reasonable, you can afford lessons or a trainer if the horse starts giving you problems. If you have a suitable horse for your skills, and a good program, you will want to ride regularly. Etc. I say all this because I do know adult riders who end up with horses that scare them or have soundness issues, boarding costs that mean they can’t afford lessons, crazy commutes, etc., all of which make them frustrated and drift away from actual saddle time.

However, on the positive side, there seem to be more interesting suggestions coming your way than there are for the question I have to answer all the time at work: So, what can I actually do with an English degree? :slight_smile:

http://www.americanhorsepubs.org/

Click on careers. Great site, this is where I found my position with Devon-Aire.

I’m the Advertising and Promotion Manager for StreamHorseTV.com, which is a website that has listings of, and links to horse show livestreams. I enjoy going to horse shows, so the job can be interesting and fun. Media credentials are nice. The people I’ve met have been wonderful. The down side is that starting up a new company is a lot of work, and requires creativity and optimism.

Okay, I’ll bite, but I still ride.

I spent years as a hunter/jumper trainer (though after college, I did have a “real” job in Hospital Administration, it is as terrible as it sounds).

Now, we have a tack shop. We travel to shows, mostly local because we are lucky enough to have some nice ones around. We get to meet fabulous people who love their horses, and generally have a great time!

The tack shop business is hard, you must have a website, and it must be good. Everyone wants to buy online, and everyone wants free shipping, not a problem, if you know your margins well and have studied every shipping method known to man!

You also have to be knowledgeable about the equestrians you are serving, I know enough about the Quarter Horse circuit to be dangerous. . .But they are under-served in our area, so I’m learning. We only do English tack, apparel and accessories, but everyone needs grooming, supplements and treats!

I don’t know that I would recommend starting a tack shop unless you don’t mind working all the time! I will be running a bunch of outfits to a customer in just a few minutes because she is a great customer and we need to find something that fits before tomorrow, and I was up until nearly midnight last night fulfilling orders to be sent out this morning. I love our customers and being able to chat with and see them is fun for me. . Not everyone loves that. My business model isn’t for everyone either. . I’m always working, but its fun! I love doing wither tracings and measuring for hunt coats or boots!

[QUOTE=Lori T;8231582]
http://www.americanhorsepubs.org/

Click on careers. Great site, this is where I found my position with Devon-Aire.[/QUOTE]

This is a fabulous resource, thank you Lori! Not only does it give me some more ideas about these types of careers, but the page on the AHP student internship program is super interesting. I’ll have to look into that!