Non-RX foods your CKD cat actually eats

My 14-year-old Himalayan is more or less stable in early stage kidney disease. He has been on RX dry food for the last two years and he has made it extremely clear that he is DONE WITH THAT TRASH and refuses to eat it. What he would like to eat instead: his brother’s (high protein) food, the dog food, some rice in sauce he jumped up on the counter to get, my husband’s pizza, etc. He has the dietary preferences of a raccoon most of the time, so when he turns his nose up, it’s not caprice.

I’m looking for non-RX dry foods that are moderate protein and phosphorus, suitable for a kidney cat. (Or a palatable RX option we haven’t tried yet- he does not care for Hill’s, Royal Canin, or Purina.) We tried a couple of the foods at the top of the Feline CRF low-phosphorus list like Now Fresh’s senior recipe and he declined. So: are you feeding something non-RX that is reasonably good for a kidney cat and that your cat finds acceptably tasty?

We have the wet food side of the equation taken care of (Weruva) but he won’t eat enough of it to meet his caloric requirements, so we do dry food for all-day snacking. Fortunately he is an excellent drinker.

The Daves wet was a bit hit for our last CKD kitty for a while. Then his taste changed, and he loved the Royal Canin Renal Support E, so if you haven’t tried those, they’re worth checking out. I did have to order the Daves by the case from Chewy (I think? Maybe Amazon?) but could buy singles or the RC from PetSmart

For the dry food, you might get a box (unfortunately no singles that I know of) of the ProPlan HydraCare as a small mixer for the dry food to see if it will encourage more intake

My FIC guy did well on Iams Urinary for several years.
Purina One Urinary was also tolerated.
He said NOPE to Hill’s - dry & canned - from the vet.

1 Like