Unlimited access >

Nope

Maybe this will fall under “overstepping” - but I’m going to be blunt about it.

There’s a decent chance that the BO did not actually tell you that you’re a horrible horse owner. There’s a decent chance that all the trauma surrounding your accident and disability twisted the memory in your mind, or that the BO said something along the lines of “I didn’t know you couldn’t afford [dentist], nevermind, I’ll take you off the schedule” and because you’re extra sensitive and self conscious about not being able to afford the same things for Chase that you used to, you took that in the worst way possible when the BO did not mean it like that. I know that in times of trauma in my life, I took anything that could be taken poorly, in the worst way possible - you’re not alone there. It’s not an uncommon thing to happen in times of great stress and anxiety, not to mention pain/pain medication/etc.

The fact that the BO has discounted your board for years shows that he/she cares about you, and cares about your horse. Don’t forget that.

And the bottom line is, you’ve got to get over it. You’ve got to do the right thing for your family. If the BO straight said “you’re a terrible person” (which is pretty unlikely) you’ve got to be strong enough to face that again and do what needs to be done here.

I wish you the best. Don’t be defeatist on your health and medicine issues, either. The answer is out there. Surrounding yourself with groups of people who also say “you can’t” is not productive.

15 Likes

Yes, it makes me terribly angry that people who are most vulnerable, health-wise (mentally and physically) are taxed with the greatest responsibility to manage their own health, because of the complexities of insurance.

OP, you say your BO is a physician. I agree, have an honest talk with her, if you can’t with a vet. The worst that can happen is that she’ll say something untrue and unkind, but ultimately those are just words. Explain your situation. If she’s a physician she should understand at least some of your perspective, having dealt with insurance herself.

6 Likes

You might speak to your BO first, before the vet. I will reiterate what I said upthread – the BO does not think you are terrible, she wouldn’t have discounted board if she did. Seriously. Us BOs rarely discount board, and then we do only for good people in a bad situation. While I might not be representative of all BOs, I will tell you a secret: there are a couple of horses on my farm, who have been here 10+ years, and who are my favorites, and have owners reluctant to pay the extra $$ in vet fees older horses accumulate. In those cases, I’ve paid for a course of minocycline for example, myself. And there’s one, if his owner (totally different situation than yours) decides she’s tired of paying board, I will offer to buy for $1, and all decisions and vet bills are mine. I don’t know if your BO would consider it (you kind of can’t ask for it) but at least give her the chance to think about it before you call the vet.

This could be done in an email.

5 Likes

Yes! This would be my thinking as well. I don’t want to get the OP’s hopes up, but OP it sounds (very understandably) that because of your pain and all the suffering you’ve gone through, it’s very hard for you to take action and make decisions. What you’re going through is hard even for an able-bodied person who has another healthy horse. Talk to the BO, and move forward from there. You don’t have to make a final decision about anything, but get another person’s perspective.

2 Likes

Nope

I just find it reprehensible that someone would literally yell at a disabled person. I can think of very few people that are horrid enough to do that.

Consider that maybe the whole thing got blown out of proportion from something else? Or that in the screaming match over what-have-you you misheard? I can’t imagine a screaming match over a horse dentist to start with…

Talk to the BO like it never happened, and see what you get. She may feel that you as a friend have ghosted her as well, and her feelings might be hurt.

4 Likes

Nope

It’s possible your BO is one of those horse people who is so fixated on horses and their care, they lose sight of the human behind the horse. Even if she provides wonderful care to your horse and has his best interests at heart, her reaction to you was not rational or acceptable. She is in the wrong.

I would go to her and explain once again your situation. If possible, have a horsey friend with you who is your advocate and can act as an intermediary. Thank her for taking care of your horse, but say that given his age and lack of rideability and temperament, you are thinking of humanely ending his life. It’s possible she might offer to keep the horse on for longer, if she likes him that much, and since you trust her, that’s an option you might explore. But if not, then be firm.

Even if she’s a doctor and a good horseperson, sometimes people have trouble empathizing with other humans. As we age, and when health issues arise, priorities change. I mean, think of all the teens and pros who criticize older horsewomen with jobs and families, because their older barn mates aren’t there all the time. Sometimes it’s just not possible. You gave your horse a great life. Now it’s time to focus on your health.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry you are going through all of this and I wish I had a.way to make things better for you.

Did I read this correctly and you are paying almost a thousand a month in board??

1 Like

Please don’t forget that this is your horse. You own him, you are the one that authorizes his care. You don’t have to convince the BO of anything. You don’t owe them an explanation as to why your are opting for euthanasia. That discussion is for you and your veterinarian. You are also entitled to see him, without harassment. I would take your husband with you and tell him to stay by your side. Focus on your horse, not the BO or what BO may potentially say. If BO starts going off, have your husband shut it down while you remain focused on the time with your horse. Fights are hard to facilitate if only one person is participating. At some point you’ve got to let things roll off your shoulder for the sake of your own sanity. By now you know some doctors are quacks. Been there myself. You deserve time with your boy, he deserves time with you. Simple as that. It doesn’t have to be a big ordeal, just time with your horse. You could also go during off hours when the BO is less likely to be there for peace of mind.

12 Likes

Nope

1 Like

Nope

1 Like

Euthanasia is the kindest option to him and to you. Any decent vet will respect your situation, the horses age and the fact that you have had this horse and cared for him well for 20 years.

I know it seems unthinkable and cruel to end the life of an animal we love and who is getting around alright now, but you really don’t have( as you say) other options? I think if he was mine I would rather know his life ended where he was safe, secure, happy and in decent health.

He is 30 years old. If you put his care into the hands of anyone else you have no security of how his life will end. I am sorry you have this dilemma but do the kindest thing for him. He has had a good long life.

6 Likes

Nope

It’s not so much agreeing but that if CoTH can’t find another way, chances are that there isn’t one. IMHO

7 Likes

OP, very sorry for your situation. Letting him go easily, is a good decision for your beloved boy. Others have said it better than I can, but you are doing him a kindness. You concern is very evident, but he has no other options with his age and personality. No shame in making such a choice for him. Certainly it hurts you worse than him!

You might ask the barn owner if horse could be buried there. Does she offer such a service? Hire a local backhoe guy if owner doesn’t have a backhoe. Doing everything on site could make it easier on you.

I am pulling for you, such a bunch of difficulties all at once hurts a lot.

7 Likes

@PeregrineHagen, just checking in on you.

13 Likes

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I have two senior horses and just last week I told my husband that if anything were to happen to me that I couldn’t take care of them, they should be euthanized. It’s heartbreaking but I have heard too many stories about “horse rescues” leaving horses to starve to death. The best thing we can do for these wonderful creatures is ensure they have a peaceful end. If you can’t 100% trust someone else to give him a safe and happy retirement, then euthanasia is the most compassionate thing to do. Any good vet would agree. My thoughts are with you.

7 Likes

I am so sorry you’re having to make a difficult decision. It’s never ever easy. If only horses always just passed peacefully when the time was “right” for us, being a responsible horse owner would be so much easier. It’s rarely that easy. FWIW I think putting him to sleep now is a perfectly reasonable thing to do and you should NOT beat yourself up about it.

3 Likes

This is difficult and my heart is breaking for you. There are far worse things, though, than a quiet, humane death.

2 Likes