Unlimited access >

Normal for adults to wear children's size XC vests?

Hi all,

I’m doing some research into XC vests and finding that according to several size charts, I should be buying a children’s L or XL?! Is this a normal thing? am I measuring wrong? Is there some trick that I don’t know about (for example: adding a few inches when sizing tall boots to account for boot drop)? or just a quirk about vest sizing?

It just seems strange that I, a 5’5’’ 125lb grown woman, would wear children’s size vest.

I wish I could just go try a bunch on, but the closest tack store to me that might even carry that sort of thing is a good 5-6 hours away :confused:

I don’t wear an XC vest, but I do wear a Tipperary RideLight vest when riding alone. It’s a girls XL. I am 5’1, short waisted, and chunky. The vest isn’t really made for someone with significant boobage, so it’s a little tight there, but otherwise fits well… after I removed the bottom panel from the back!

It might be worth mail-ordering a few vests. The sizing can be tricky.

1 Like

I couldn’t even at my skinniest because I have a relatively long-ish torso, but I wouldn’t say it’s super uncommon. Smart Pak and I think maybe Dover have free returns on sized items, so that might be the way to go. Or if you ride at a barn where other people have them, just ask-- I know I am always happy to let people try on stuff like that.

3 Likes

Thanks for the sanity check you guys, this makes me feel better for even considering a children’s size vest. I’m glad I’m not missing any critical details!

When I went to my “local” tack store they ended up putting me in the largest child size.

The adult one that supposedly “fit” me was too long in the back when I sat on a saddle at the tack store. It would have been hitting the cantle all the time while riding in it.

I’m 5’3" and sort of chunky.

1 Like

I’m shorter than you with long legs & a short torso. I definitely wear a kids’ size in some things. And 125 lbs is fairly lithe on a 5’5" frame.

Considering that I fit in a Medium when I’m an XL in most things, I would say the sizing tends to run small or be more of a men’s size. (The fact that most vests have lacing or velcro adjustments on the sides probably also makes the sizing a bit more flexible at least in that direction.)

Oooh you know, I hadn’t considered that they were unisex (i.e. men’s lol) sizes.

1 Like

Nope, I was also in a child size because of the length and I am not skinny.

When I wore a Tipperary vest, I was in a childs Large. I am 5’6" 125lbs.

Yep, sounds right. I wear shirts in women’s medium, sometimes large, and I wear adult S in most safety vests.

I am 5’4", 130 and I wear a childs xl in the champion vest. I did get the short length which I regret a bit as it is quite short. Regular length would probably have been perfect. The tipperary vests were always way too long and I guess I over compensated.

1 Like

I always wore a YL in Tipperary.

I’m about 5’2” and 160lbs. I wear an L or XL in shirts and jackets, but my Airowear Outlyne is a T2 or T3 short, which is a teen/child size. They’re really adjustable. I was smaller when I bought it and I’m still not having any trouble with the fit.

1 Like

Riding Warehouse has an awesome, free returns policy:

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/SearchResults/?opt_page=1&opt_sort=relevance&searchtext=safety%20vests&opt_perpage=20

I would have been in a child’s size if it weren’t for the Aerowear vest which is made for women. I still am in a very small size there. I have a small waist and almost no boobage, so YMMV.

The length was a problem, and is still a teensy bit of a problem in the Aerowear. I’m 5’1" and haven’t weighed myself in awhile but average body weight.

When I was in HS I bought a Y-M Tipperary XC - the kind that was popular in the early 2000s. I still fit into it 20 years later, though my bust is certainly bigger. I’m 5’7 and 160lb (and I swear 30lb of that is in my bust :laughing: ) so I wouldn’t say it’s entirely out of the norm for adults to fit in youths. I can still fit in this though I prefer to school in my Airowear. I think I have a pretty normal physique for an adult, too. I wear mostly mediums in shirts (if I have to size up it’s because of what’s present on the frontage :roll_eyes: ).

It’s definitely possible, it depends on your torso length and the vest itself!

I’m 5’1 and thin and I wear the adult XXS in Tipperary because I have a long torso. The adult XXS has the same chest measurement as the youth Medium, but I decided the YM was a little too short and I wanted the adult size.