Unlimited access >

North San Diego Trainers - recommendations?

So I have a lovely trainer that has done a fabulous job, however I really need to have the ability to get a fresh perspective in the area. I’m finding myself in a rut and I need to make sure I’m continuing to grow in the sport.
My trainer is extremely supportive of outside help, so that’s not a concern. She has a few go to’s that she usually recommends, but honestly I wasn’t impressed after watching a few lessons. I’m hoping for a good rider & trainer that doesn’t believe in drugs of any kind to “take the edge off” at shows or home. Any recommendations in the North San Diego area? San Marcos, Escondido, Bonsall, Vista, Rancho Santa Fe?
Thank you!!

What do you want to do - show on the A circuit, the county, or just bop around at home? How’s your budget? Some of the nicer places are pricey…

Who have you seen, and what sort of training are you looking for? What type of barn environment?

Sorry for the very long delay!!

I’m so embarrassed, I never got a notification that someone replied and I totally missed this! I’m sorry.

I would plan on trailering in, so environment isn’t really a factor. Of course good footing is necessary and nice people would be ideal, but that’s about it. In terms of goals, I do county shows because of pricing and location, but would like to do one A a year. I have a toddler, so travel is tough. I would say since I’m trailering in that would hopefully make it more affordable vs. being in full training, so I’m open to various price ranges.

The only rider I’ve seen so far that I really liked watching ride was Greg from Foxlair West. He seemed to really get along with all types of horses and was a soft rider while being effective. However, they are pretty south from us and it seems he’s an assistant trainer/rider. I figured before I started putting feelers out, I would see what others recommended.

Thanks again for writing!

[QUOTE=paw;8744663]
What do you want to do - show on the A circuit, the county, or just bop around at home? How’s your budget? Some of the nicer places are pricey…

Who have you seen, and what sort of training are you looking for? What type of barn environment?[/QUOTE]

It is an easy drive for you to go to Susie Hutchison. Of course, she is amazing. Her facility has plenty of room so easy to get in and out, and I have seen others haul in. Cannot say enough great things about this amazing Hall of Fame rider - worth every penny!

Hap Hansen in Rancho Santa Fe.

http://www.haphansen.com/

Thank you both! I’ll look into Susie for sure. I heard Hap doesn’t ride clients horses much any more, is that true? I’d love to have a trainer that can do training rides as well since I have a young one too. Thanks!

Hap is listed as the rider on a few horses at the show this week and Del Mar. Don’t know if he rides at home. But, a great eye on the ground and a talented assistant in the tack can go a long way!

Very true! Will look into both! Thanks!

[QUOTE=Peggy;8892738]
Hap is listed as the rider on a few horses at the show this week and Del Mar. Don’t know if he rides at home. But, a great eye on the ground and a talented assistant in the tack can go a long way![/QUOTE]

Sent you a pm.

Thanks Brooke! Having issues seeing it in forum but it came through my email. Appreciate it!