Unlimited access >

Northern Horse Moved South

My horse is originally from Southern California. He’s an older male with no health issues. We recently moved back to my home town in southern Texas. The heat and humidity are outrageous this time of year.
Ive noticed when he is out grazing his breathing is quick. And I’ve even caught him panting. I hose him frequently throughout the day, give him alcohol baths, and I’ve started him on a supplement after we spoke with the vet. He isn’t sweating as he should be.
Is there anything else I could be doing to help him? I’ve read cooling blankets, fans in stalls, misters in stalls, has anyone tried any of these?

There are multiple supplements you can give for anhidrosis. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don’t. Personally, I’ve had good luck with Let 'M Sweat (by EquiFab) and also Platinum Refresh (worked for a while, then stopped working). Lots of people have good results with 1AC and it is readily available. Make sure you are giving salt or electrolytes too. Some people swear by Guiness beer, although I’ve not tried it. Night time turnout and days under a fan are the best way to deal with this. I’ve never used a mister but I do have big fans in my stalls.

1 Like

OneAC never helped my gelding. Neither did Guiness. I was stuck hosing him every afternoon. What finally worked, for reasons I can’t begin to explain, was leaving him out for the winter unblanketed. He grew a thick coat, shed it out the following spring and started sweating that summer.

Oh and I switched from an oil based fly spray (Endure) to a water based (Tri-Tec 14).

1 Like

When I moved my aged mare from PA to SC we ran into a similar issue. I would recommend having his ACTH drawn to check for Cushings, just because if he is cushingoid, Pergolide can help his body regulate his temperature better.

For my mare, we used the 1AC and didn’t have great success. Dark beer did help her and she had a beer added to her breakfast each morning. I kept her indoors during the day with a large fan and then she would go out at dusk.

1 Like

Body clipping should help,even if you think his coat is short it traps body heat. But if he is out in the day he could sun burn.

Fans and shade help. Misting fans can make everything soggy and humid.

Humidity is as much the enemy as heat.

There is a gizmo called a Max/Min Thermometer. It records the high and low temp in a 24 hour period. It might be worthwhile to see if the horse is actually getting a ‘cool down’ period at night or if he is fighting the heat all day and all night.

www.johnsherman.com/therms/MaxMin.html I have the one on top of the page. I got it at
www.farmtek.com item# CA100 Hi/Low Thermometer [do the item number search CA100.]

Guiness is easy to try and helps some. Ditto OneAC.

Alcohol baths are going to dry his coat and skin so use those with discretion.

If you hose him off you need to remove the water or he will get hotter. I am guessing his breathing is allergy related and not heat.

Thank you for all of yalls responses!
The vet had me start him on 1AC. I haven’t noticed a great difference in his sweat patterns. I added a fan in his barn, that he has access to all day, but he is turned out to graze when ever he sees fit.
I’m going to contact the vet again. He is staying cooler, but our days aren’t staying quite as hot. Usually 120*.
He came from Cali, with a very thick coat, his nickname was Teddy, because it was so thick. We will be returning back to Cali in the fall.
So should I just keep doing what I’m doing to help him get through the summer? Or should I be trying other methods? Is the beer worth a shot? If humidity is adding to his stress then I imagine a mister wouldn’t help. Just make is more muggy.

Schlitz malt liquor is way cheaper than Guiness and it’s the malt that makes them sweat. He needs to be inside under a fan during the day and turned our at night. The weather temps will break about mid Sept and he will be more comfortable…Most feed supplements need to be started before it gets hot to really work. My FL bred TB doesn’t sweat when it’s in the 90’s and humid.

I am sorry, I can’t help myself. Southern California is WEST of Texas.

I hope you can get him more comfortable. Humidity adds a lot of stress to those who are not used to it and sometimes to those who are.

Find an acupuncturist and get treatment. I found after dealing with a cushings gelding that would not sweat in Georgia heat and humidity acupuncture worked the best. Also clip his coat, I had to clip the gelding 3-4 times a year. Fans with misters do help.

Since you mention a thick coat I would definitely get him tested for PPID (Cushing’s)

I will look into the acupuncture. As well as adding more fans to his barn.
Seeings as how directions work, California is above Texas. Which means Texas is SOUTH. You offered no advice just hateful comments.
Thank you everyone else who offered me their advice.