Unlimited access >

Not Enough Stalls

Hello, I am 16 years old and live with my grandparents who probably shouldnt even have horses. (Im not going to sugar-coat anything so keep that in mind).

First and foremost, as the title says, we only have three stalls and four horses. My grandparents made a “temorary” one out of pallets that is waayy too small (about 6 by 8 ft for a 15.1 horse) Also the floor is covered by a bunch of coated canvas pieces layed on top of each other and poop/bedding inevitably gets stuffed up under the edges. Also, we store our pitchforks right next to it, so if she ever decides to start messing with stuff shes in danger. I know, so wonderful.

Secondly the hallway through the barn can fit either a horse or a human, not both. Whenever they are led into the stalls, you basically have to trust them not to run you over. The hay is right by the entrance door so I’m almost always run into from behind when putting them out in the mornings.

Thirdly, our barn has no heating or insulation and we only have three blankets for our four horses (We live at a high elevation in northern Oregon so its gets below freezing nearly every night from september to april. Also, one of the horses is a thoroughbred and so he doesnt put on a real good coat, same as two of the other horses, but theyre just old)

Fourthly, the horses are never on a consistent diet. Grandpa gets the cheapest grass hay possible, and any and all grain is just whatever’s on sale (which often ends up being just allstock). Theres also rats that poop and nest in the hay, and their solution is to just brush it off and feed it to em anyway.

Fifthly, the horses themselves arent in great shape. Two of them have hooves in really bad shape, theyre too cheap to hire a good farrier. The most recent one was under three months ago (yes, they bought two horses in the span of less than three months) and the farrier decides the best way to keep my horse still is to slap him w/ a rope. Obvs didnt work, and my lil baby decided to threaten to kick him a few times (and trust me, i dont blame him), so the farrier refused to do his RH. You get what ya pay for. Also, one of our mares has an odd swelling on her chest that they refuse to call a vet for because its not an emergency so they dont care. I’ve been alternating between an anti-swelling Liniment and Blu-Kote because thats all I can really do (the only reason we have those at all is because one of the previous owners of a horse gave us a bunch of free stuff with her). Three of them are due for multiple vaccines/boosters, but i dont see that happening soon.

TLDR:My grandparents dont take good care of the horses and I dont know what to do as I am young and inexperienced with life in general.

Im not completely sure what the point of me writing all of this was. Theres no animal control in the small town I live in so the only way to get someone else involved would be the sheriff, and its not bad enough for that. (Trust me, they would have SO MANY Deprive of Proper Care fines because of all their other animals too). My mom (an animal control officar herself) is also on board with me on this but she too has no extra money to put towards the cause (also this is waay out of her jurisdiction). It is quite possible that I just posted this because I wanted validation for my frustrations. Being sixteen, in a small town, without a job or car (I had been living in the city for years before just recently moving out here, so i hadnt really needed said job or car until now) I have no money to take care of things myself and no power whithin the household to direct some of the money they put towards jacuzzis and RVs and home renovations, instead to the horses they willingly took on.

So sorry you are in such a frustrating and powerless situation! Since you are a minor and don’t have access to the kind of cash that could make the most significant difference to these horses you are limited in what you can do…

Is there any hope of convincing your grandparents how much easier their lives would be if they sold/rehomed the horses? If you think this is remotely possible I would strongly suggest spending some time coming up with a way to present this idea to them in a way that they would find most appealing.

Is there anywhere else you could move the pitchforks? Even small things like reorganizing where various things are kept in the barn can make a small but positive difference in the safety of the horses. If your grandparents are resistant to you moving things around maybe you could try and sell them on the “keeping the pitchforks over here is so much more efficient!” reasoning.

Can you put out rat traps? There are a lot of options that don’t involve poison and this could help cut down on the rat poop in the hay.

And this last suggestion is a total long shot but it is free to look into so I figured I would float the idea out there. Do you have any vet schools or farrier schools/training programs nearby? There is a chance that some of the more expensive things like trims and vaccines may be available at a lower cost. I would contact anyone I could think of who may know someone that knows someone who could provide at least trims and shots for a reduced cost. That might make things an easier sell to your grandparents also “Grandad, you know how X always charges $$$ for trims/shoes/shots?? Well I found qualified person Y who can do it for only $”

Beyond that just do what you are already doing. Groom them all and pick their feet several times each week, scrub and fill water buckets daily, muck the stalls really well, etc.

Those horses are fortunate that at least you are looking out for their well being.

3 Likes

That sounds like a frustrating situation. Am I correct that one of the horses is yours? Are you/your mom paying for that one horse? Do they have a shelter in turn out? Horse’s don’t really need a barn if they have shelter. At least outside they can move around for warmth, which might be better than an uninsulated barn as long as they can get out of the wind. A healthy/well fed horse doesn’t need a blanket either, if they have shelter, but one horse won’t want to be alone outside.

Is there a 4H in your area? Maybe joining a 4H, and following their policy will help change things for the horses in general if you can get your grandparents involved in your 4H projects.

1 Like

For a start, could you rearrange some of the things in the barn to make it safer? Find another storage spot for the pitchforks if they are in the horse’s reach. Can you find a better place to store the hay? Even putting it on pallets against the outside wall of the barn and covering it thoroughly with tarps that won’t blow off might be an option.

I don’t know about your area, but in my area, barns generally are not heated or insulated. In fact, they’re often built with regular spaces between the boards on the upper part of the barn to allow for good ventilation. Buy a used blanket for the fourth horse. There are plenty of used blankets that aren’t that expensive, or look for an end-of-season sale.

Work your horses on leading and respecting you. Teach them to stop and back politely. Teach your horse to stand for the farrier respectfully. He’s NOT a little baby! Don’t fool yourself about how much damage a kick from a horse can do! A farrier needs to be wary of a potential injury that could easily sideline him from his source of income for weeks or months. Or possibly permanently.

Get some books on general horse care and start educating yourself. The pony club manuals might be a good place to start.

If you need help in learning some of these skills, maybe you could find a job doing barn work for a local, experienced trainer and do your best to learn as much as possible about horse care. Your mom probably has some contacts or could find someone to put you in touch with a barn that could use a stall cleaner. If you don’t have transportation to a local barn, possibly baby-sitting or snow-shoveling jobs could at least help you with incidentals (like a blanket) for your horse.

As far as the substandard feed and rat-trashed hay, maybe your mother could talk to your grandparents about feeding good quality food.

Is the swelling on the mare’s chest recent? Could it be a bruise from a kick? If it’s not a minor, bruise swelling or if it doesn’t resolve in a few days, your mom should talk to your grandparents about having a vet check it.

When the vet does come out, ask her to teach you to do shots so you can eventually do your own vaccinations.

Yes, your grandparents absolutely should be the ones being responsible for the animals that they took on and providing proper care. But if they aren’t stepping up, you and your mom can advocate for the horses and you can help out on some aspects of their care and training.

4 Likes

Since I’m in quite a rural area I doubt any vet schools are nearby but I will look into it.
I have brought up moving the pitchforks before however I’m usually met with a response pertaining to how “The new stall will be done this weekend!” - Four weeks ago.
My only real concern with the blankets is when it snows out. Cold and wet all day then in the stall with crappy food. No movement and not enough calories to keep them warm (At least thats how it works with humans. Not really a horse expert though).
The main reason I refer to him as my Little Baby is because he’s our gentlest horse that’ll follow you around like a dog and picks up his feet just fine if youre not jerkin his lead around and hitting him with the rope. A few minutes after the farrier tried i put him in the round pen and he let me pick his foot up and shake it around for a few minutes just fine.
The mares cyst thing has been there for about two weeks. It got bigger in the first few days I noticed it but has been staying about the same size for about a week. The only change I’ve noticed, since then, has been it sort of getting more pointy and less round if that makes any sense.
As for the feed I’m not sure theres any fixing an old man’s penny-pinching but I’ll get back to you on how it goes.
Thanks for all your help thus far!

Oh my. You’ve got quite a situation there. Kudos to you for reaching out for ideas and help.

Do you live with your grandparents? Or do you live with your mom? Just wanted to know if you’re there on their farm or elsewhere and how often you’re out to see the horses?

For the feed issue, forage pellets (like alfalfa or bermuda or timothy) are generally about the same price as generic sweet feed, maybe a $1 or 2 more. Especially the non-name brands. Even if you could convince your grandpa to do 1/2 generic all purpose feed and 1/2 forage pellets, that would not really be an increase in what he’s feeding and would be more nutritious for the horses. Even a measuring cup or two of alfalfa pellets daily would be helpful.

As to the blanket situation, thankfully the worst part of winter is almost past. However, if you or your mom is handy with a sewing machine or needle and thread, you can make a stable blanket (not for outdoor of course) from an old comforter or bed blanket and just purchase some wide velcro from Wal-Mart for a few bucks to make closures. You might also check FaceBook Marketplace or CraigsList for used/old blankets. You might be surprised at how little people will sell things for when they are cleaning out their barns.

As for a job to make money, obviously school is in session right now, so weekends might be the only opportunity to make some $s. Even in a rural area, check with neighbors - offer to shovel their walks of snow, help get gardens ready, clean out chick coops, whatever they might need help with for a reasonable hourly wage. Have a bicycle? If walking is just not doable, a bike would come in handy. Check at a local Good Will store. Ask for one for your birthday. Cheaper than a car and faster than walking! Think outside the box… I bet you can come up with something. At your age, I was a maid - I cleaned people’s houses after school and on weekends on our street. Hated it, but I did it. LOL Had to pay for everything for my horse, who was kept at a neighbor’s private barn.

I wouldn’t worry about the barn not being insulated. Few are, unless they are fancy show barns. But, you can keep the wind out, which the horses would appreciate, by making sure there are no cracks, holes, gaps, etc. and making sure they are covered with pieces of wood or something.

Is there a Library where you are? I’d definitely go there and check out some books on horsecare and stable management. Then share what you learn with your grandparents. in a non-judgmental way of course. Share what you’re reading and learning about with them.

Are there stables or boarding barns in the area? That might be a good place to get a job (if its in a reasonable distance), and a good place to learn of resources in the area.

For the mare with the lump - is there a lesion or cut/scrape where the swelling is? If not, no sense using the BluKote. She may have been kicked or gotten another type of injury. Is it really hard when you touch it? Or is it soft and mushy? As long as it keeps going down in size and shape, she should be fine.

Keep at it. The horses are fortunate to have you as an advocate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OP - If there isn’t a library in your little town - most of them participate in “mobile libraries.” The books come to you. Call the library closest to you and ask. You can also talk to the librarian at your school and ask her/him if they have books on horse care or can get them.

In addition to 4H, many schools in rural areas have FFA programs. That’s Future Farmers of America. You’ll meet kids your own age in both programs and might learn a few things. There is usually a teacher/counselor that heads up those programs at schools. Seek out that teacher about getting involved in the program.

As for the pitchfork placement. You’re right. It’s an accident waiting to happen. Do you do all the mucking? If not, you might volunteer to do so and can then place the pitchforks wherever you want to. Otherwise, try to keep them to a corner.

As for the lump, the other posts here are giving you good advice. One thing you can do is to take a magic marker and mark lines around the circumference of the lump. That way you’ll be able to tell if the lump is growing or shrinking. It almost sounds like it could be coming to a head like an abscess would do. If it bursts, you need to keep it very clean while it’s draining. Warm baking soda will help rinse it out. Do make some notes about the lump as it changes. The vet will want to know that if a call is necessary. You’ll also want to use some SWAT to keep flies off an open wound.

The horse kicking while being trimmed is either bad manners or it hurts to lift the leg. I’ve seen farriers use the end of the lead line in a playful way with a horse being trimmed to distract them. Can you hold your horse while he trims? That might help.

Just try to do a little at a time to change things. Give your grandparents something to think about as you raise issues with them. Attitudes don’t change overnight - whether you’re old or young. Lots of good ideas here for you to think about and act on. Keep us posted.

1 Like

I’m sorry, OP, but what you are describing is not a care situation where AC will intervene. It may be not great care, but it is no where near what it takes to get an AC officer to require a care agreement or to get an order to remove the horses. They have food, shelter, and water. There are many worse situations out there. However, there is no reason why you can’t talk to an animal control officer to get strategies on how the situation might be mitigated.

If you don’t like the care your horse is getting, then move your horse. Free board is not worth it if you don’t like the care.

2 Likes

Do not bring in Animal Control-- nothing you describe is abuse or neglect. It’s hard to get AC to do anything even when animals are emaciated and dying. This is not a life or death situation for these horses, they’re being fed and cared for, just in a shabby manner.

This is a really hard life lesson that you are unfortunately having to learn quite young: You cannot force other people to change. You can only change what you do and how you react.

Some changes you can make:
Stop worrying about the blankets. Horses are generally absolutely fine without blankets, yes, even in below freezing tempratures. My horses happily play in the snow and munch hay despite temperatures in the single digits.
Besides, blankets are not expensive. If you saved just $10-15 a month, you could buy the horse a blanket before this winter.

Stop worrying about the cheap grass hay and grain. If the horses are not super skinny, that means they’re doing ok. Doesn’t sound like any of them are in a heavy work program. Is this feeding program ideal? No but you can’t change what he feeds, and they’re doing ok, so all you can do is stop worrying about it.

The tool placement is easily corrected – just move the pitchforks every time you are there. Don’t ask him to do it, just do it yourself and let him complain. (This is another area where you can change yourself because you can’t change him: STOP CARING IF HE COMPLAINS.) He puts them back in the original place? So what, move them back next time you’re there. Put up an inexpensive tool hanger like this: https://www.equisearch.com/.image/t_share/MTQ1ODU2NzIxMzQ5OTEyMjY5/barn-tools-photo-cappy-jackson.jpg so that you are creating a BETTER place to store them, not just a different place.
Every hour that you manage to have the tool in a different place is an hour where the horses are safer – it’s an improvement even if it’s not a permanent fix.

Put a chain over the nose of each horse you lead to get better control over them, and wear your helmet when leading in that narrow barn aisle.

This is a bigger question, but why bring the horses in at night at all? Just like the blankets issue, they don’t NEED to be in a barn at night.

Finally, you do have the ultimate control here, which is to stop your involvement with these horses, and instead join a 4H club or otherwise find some way to stay involved with horses in general. You don’t have to keep going there. I know that’s hard to hear, but you can’t fix other people, you can only do what you need to do to be happy and less stressed out.

6 Likes

I think the only concern you listed that’s not a big deal is the heat/insulation/blanketing issue. Many horses live without those things in climates far colder than yours. If they’re getting enough hay, they should be able to keep themselves warm enough.

If you could somehow convince your grandparents to keep the horses out 24/7 with a shelter, that would solve your aisle and pallet stall issues.

Otherwise, there’s probably not much you can do to change the ways of people who have “always done it like this”. Try to make small changes where you can, and make sure that you take steps to keep yourself safe.