Unlimited access >

Not Much Happening

Winter has set in here, just mud instead of snow. And it keeps getting deeper with rain and warming (40sF) temps. Supposed to get cold for about a week, maybe freeze the ground!! Perhaps I can get further out in the hay field to spread used bedding. Got the tractor stuck today. Filled the tire lugs with sloppy mud, had to get husband to pull me out wih the other tractor. This was on a “high” side of the field! Water is running off, just that there is so much of it!

Not much driving happening, too wet, and now sloppy snowy, icy roads so passing cars throw wet “stuff” as they pass. Horses are feeling pretty lively, brisk days do that! Got tails shortened so there should be no ice and mud balls from dragging across the mucky ground.

Got a bunch of bridles cleaned, greased, need to reassemble so it all gets back to the barn. The Old Man’s heavy blanket is ready for morning turnout of 10F. Big change in weather tonite, dropping from 29F that was “cold” the last few weeks! He has been wearing his rain sheet on wet days, just for a windbreaker. Then the lighter insulated blanket today, which he had fun rolling in so it looks as filthy as the rain sheet. Now jumping to heavy with low Temps and wind for most of the week. The others seem fine without covers, poofy mostly except for mud spots from rolling. The metal curry comb is getting a workout each night breaking dried mud when they come in!

They will get extra hay to keep warm with, they like that. We seem alright in the hay department, still have all the 2nd cutting on the wagons under cover in the hoop barn. Plus most of 1st still stacked in the barn. Have not fed as much as usual with the warmer temps, they were not cleaning it up.

Sold some hay at the hay auction, for the good price of $7.50 for small bales, probably 45#. Auction guy said “green sells” and he was right! Other prices ranged from $3 to $9 on small squares. Auction does not specify types of hay in their weekly sales listing. Ours was all grass hay. Gives us space to start unloading wagons so we can park tractors and trucks under cover again.

I got my eyes fixed which has limited my lifting to 25#s, so not any help stacking. Soon though! Amazing how much vision change fixing cataracts makes! Still have to get a new final glasses prescription in a couple weeks with my final checkup. The Dollar Tree readers are just not cutting it, but the $1.25 price was right! Ha ha

Tack sales starting, so I am getting stuff around for that. Prices will be low on most things to move them on faster. Hope to get all the stuff into the little truck, it will be crowded!

Weather has been a concern, with stuff canceled because of conditions. Police saying “Stay Home!” Planned to attend the MSU Polo game last night, driving club board meeting today, but both were canceled for safety. Working on sewing repairs and crafty stuff, never get finished with those projects, though the piles are smaller!

More and less snow around the State, though often less than predicted…so far. We have about 5 inches, wet heavy stuff with an icy top. We have a predicted total of 10-14 inches by Monday. Boot cleats are ready by the back door if needed. We can manage, just hoping ground freezes before we get the insulating snow layer. We had plenty of time to prepare, got gas and diesel, milk, snack stuff, dog and cat food. Freezers are full. Thursday actually was my regular shopping day! So now it is sit back and see what we get.

Hope all of you are doing well in your local conditions.

3 Likes

I had to laugh at your “not much happening” title. Sounds to me like you’ve been pretty busy, just not driving.

M_al and I are hoping for a warmup in a week so we can take a lesson with a new-to-us trainer. She knows my original trainer and the one we worked with in November, before the weather turned and she deserted us for the warmth of Florida. So far I’ve really liked my driving trainers, and after talking to the new one at length, I think she will be great, too. If it would only warm up!

Rebecca

Winter seems harder this year than last for us in N. IN. I think the December/early January warmer temperatures made me think we might skip winter this year. But today it is -1 and snowing heavily. My new horse stands unridden in his pasture --like everyone (I think) I always second guess myself when making a big, life changing purchase like a new horse. I would have kicked myself for passing up on Bob who has been everything I could want in a horse --and I feel great joy and pride in my purchase when and after I ride him or work with him. But when I look at him in the field larking about, I wonder, “Why did I buy him? Maybe he’s . . .” and imagine all kinds of things. So instead of joy, I worry . . .

Of course I have two more horses --my faithful 28 year old who is still sound and going strong on the hunt field --haven’t ridden him in 3 weeks since the last hunt. And my mounted archery horse --not doing archery right now as 1) my fingers freeze in the cold and 2) I don’t like looking for arrows in 2’ of snow. So he sits unridden look at me with “Why?” in his big brown eyes.

And most difficult now is the pensioner --he came to me from one of the kids with an arthritic knee. I brought him back to use (not jumping, dressage) two years ago with A LOT of meds and massage. I showed him in one show in August 2022. I planned another show in August 2023 but he developed a bone chip --inoperable. The recommendation THEN was to put him down as it would never improve --but it did. Soft ground, green grass, and in October, he was going sound again. Hope soared. The shoer said once the ground froze, the horse would be in agony --but my DH is an optimist. The scheduled euthanasia date came and went. He looked so good.

Last week, finally, the ground froze. And the old horse is clearly in discomfort. My DH said to call and see if the excavator can dig on the property with the froze ground. If he can, we will again schedule euthanasia.

Winter is hard. I look back at my training log --and realize that in only 6 weeks, I was back to full riding schedule (2 or three horses a day) last year. 42 days . . .it seems like forever looking at the moonscape outside. . . .

4 Likes

@Foxglove compared to me you’re a 1-Woman Mongolian Stampede! :rofl:

Sorry to hear your retiree (Hugh?) is not handling the Winter as you’d hoped.
Would stalling him help?
My 3 have confined themselves since the temps went to single digits.
They’re leaving their stalls only to poop - evidenced by the minimal # of piles left in the stalls.

I last rode in August - unless you count a 10min bareback W/T stroll around the indoor back in late September. :roll_eyes:
Haven’t harnessed Bugs the mini since I got my modified cart back in August(?).
To me those big, brown eyes are asking “where’s my cookie?”
The cold weather takes the Wanna right out of me.
This Deepfreeze Polar Vortex we’re in now is taking every last ounce of my will to struggle into multiple layers & trudge the 250’ from house to barn 3X daily.
Last 2 days I’ve added a lunchtime trudge to give them extra hay.
I tell myself:
This too shall pass
But, Lord! I hate cold weather :tired_face:

I’ve got to say I’m questioning the decision to move back to the land of intense winter. But then I think about how often I get to see my kid, and there is the answer. When the furnace in her townhouse died on Friday, I was glad we could take them in if we absolutely had to. Except, of course, roads were too dangerous anyway.

Rebecca

1 Like

Sounds like a few of you are having a winter like we are having here in Ontario. Mud season that lasted forever, hay being walked into the ground, mud covered blankets and ponies and it seemed like this lasted for ever (which it really did. We have never had such a mild winter in Ontario).

We finally got some freezing temperatures a few weeks ago, which just froze the rutty mud. So again, ponies were barley able to walk or move in turnout. Between the mud and hard frozen ground, the poor ponies had about 2 months of very limited movement.

I moved one of my 3 year olds, coming 4 later this year, to an indoor in Jan so I can ride and get him started with changes and going over fences (to be a hunter kids project). So its nice to ride with company and to even be able to ride again (I haven’t been able to ride at my place since the beginning of November due to all the mud). So its slow going with him and I ride him every other day with a lesson every Sunday. He was a August start of last year, so he needs lots of work, but he has a great brain! Has taken the move and new place all in stride and is working really well in the loud indoor (coverall) arena alone or with company, so that makes me very happy!

We finally got some snow the other day but we also have the wind and some nice -20C, so no outdoor riding for me quite yet.

We are back up to 5 ponies (though 1 is boarded out), and we just got another 3 year old coming 4, who was not handled much, so lots to work on. He was a stallion prospect so he first was gelded before coming here. He was living out 24/7 and maybe handled once a month, with farrier work done about 4 times in his whole life. So he is now leading in and out (my guys come in at night), learns to have a blanket on and off, groomed and feet picked regularly and I put a bridle on him a few times to get used to that. He is coming a long really well, but does need a lot of work. We are not sure if he will take to driving as we are hoping he will be a match to our one single pony, but only time will tell. He’s quite sensitive about things, but gets over it quickly. I will know more once the weather settles and I can start him.

My other guys are our retired 27 year old pony and my up and coming 2 year old WB/pony cross that is just growing up and chilling out.

Hope the rest of the winter is kind to all.

1 Like

Top picture is of our coming 4 year old, 14h BRPx Welsh boy from my lesson yesterday.

The bottom pic is our new coming 4 year old 14.2h pure BRP

1 Like