Unlimited access >

Not my normal cup of tea but Holy Smokin'

16 Likes

Exactly my cup of tea! Lovely!

2 Likes

Yes, please :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

If there was ever a horse to choose based on name alone, this would be it!

8 Likes

He looks so comfortable - soft to ride. :two_hearts:

1 Like

I’ve always been a sucker for a really nice appaloosa.

2 Likes

I almost bought a yearling blanket app mule for trail riding that was going to go 16hds . Dear daughter said NO. I’m 70+ and she said they take 5 yrs before they’re really trainable. And she has health problems that prevent her from the task. Ahhh the dream never dies :wink:

I bet the breeder went cha ching when they pulled that sac off this baby!

1 Like

I’ll take that cup of tea all day long! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I just hope he doesn’t varnish out (my least favorite type of app). His colour is wonderful icing on the cake to my eyes. I’ve spent too much time on the color groups on FB, I’m wondering what he would test? LP/lp and PATN/n?

https://www.hesselhoej.dk/GB/Stallions/Spotilas%20Boesgaard.aspx

“Spotilas transmits leopard complex (spots) to 50% of the offsprings who is breed on a one coloured mare, he is a carrier of leopard complex LP/N and PATN 1/N. His base color is black.”

4 Likes

There’s a horse that will get you noticed.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the page. :slight_smile: LP can cause varnish, but at his age, if he likely would have by now. I can imagine someone breeding to him hoping for a similar coloured offspring could be disappointed. LP does what LP does especially if PATN isn’t involved.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Many many lifetimes ago I worked for a Knabstrupper breeder, and most definitely!

2 Likes

Your Playgirl shot to hang in the barn.

5 Likes

I used to show with a girl who bought an ApHC mare from a local breeder who bred to a lot of nice stallions. She thought she was getting a chestnut with a blanket based off the pictures of the mare when she was younger. Ended up with a very varnished mare. She was a lovely horse for her to show, but definitely not as represented colour wise.

he only has a 25% chance of producing spots when bred to solid mares. It takes both LP (spot activator) and a PATN (spots) to create spots.

PATN without LP doesn’t have spots
LP without PATN (testable or otherwise) doesn’t have spots, but may varnish (slowly or quickly)

2 Likes

He is from a Knabstrupper damline, not appy. Would also explain the jumping ability although several Totilas sons have been great jumpers. There is a Totilas son in the US who is doing really well in eventing.

4 Likes

She said appaloosa, not Appaloosa, which is even acceptable when referring to the patterns on the colour genetics pages I follow. Most people wouldn’t understand LP and PATN.

4 Likes

A little off topic, but since we are talking genetics, can someone explain to me what a solid colored horse that carries Lp will end up looking like?
What does the varnish gene actually do? I am not up on appy genetics at all.