“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

Some of the kill pens do some filtering, selecting out horses less suitable for random public sales, to go straight to Mexico.

We call them auctions, tradition I guess, but at this point the kill pens are mostly just marketing straight to the public, like a catalog.

The unsold ones are likely to end up in the true auction pen in nearby auctions, or straight to the trip to Mexico.

Mike Kaufman (Kaufman kill pen) has described his selection process. Some horses go directly to the slaughter trucks and are not marketed. He is one that bulk supplies slaughter shippers, on addition to marketing some horses.

As far as I know, Bowie does not supply shippers. But horses may go from Bowie elsewhere to a slaughter shipper.

Kaufman once described a pasture clean out load from a purported breeder. There were about 10 horses, three years old and up, had never been handled by a human, had never left their pasture. You can imagine the horse’s terror and frantic behavior. It was very difficult to get them through the basic process of intake and prep to ship.

Kaufman told the interviewer that he did not market them, but put them on the next slaughter truck out, as he thought they would be dangerous for random buyers with stars in their eyes, as they were for his own staff.

I can’t say he was wrong. But those horses were in the situation that humans had made for them. Because of a totally irresponsible ‘breeder’, they never had a chance.

I am so glad Nosey was not quite one of those. Nosey got the safe landing she deserves, yay for @2bayboys. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

So glad for Nosey that she has landed well.

These would have made for a great Pony Club project for HA/A riders—if an area with a good strong membership/mentorship could have housed them ----not so easy to make the connection though to whoever has arranged for an express, inconsiderate field clear-out.

2 Likes

My guess she is the victim of her original owner’s death or a nasty divorce that forced immediate sale. So glad you got her and thank you so much for sharing!

10 Likes

Good morning! Does this make my ears look big??

And as much as I hate to see all those ribs and sharp edges, I’m determined to document the stages.

82 Likes

The pink spot on her nose might as well say “kisses go here” :joy:

23 Likes

At least she has nice bones to look at in the meantime until they are covered a bit more. Lol.

10 Likes

I’m a little inclined to the same thought. Entirely possible it was completely non-horse relatives just trying to get the estate settled quickly.

6 Likes

When you go out for a little grass time, but can’t decide whether to scratch those itchies or sample the buffet :rofl:

91 Likes

Excellent multitasking skills!!

I like how she has completely caught on to the fly hat concept as well. I’m guessing she didn’t have one of those in her previous location.

7 Likes

Hahaha she is trying to have it all, just like a smart little girl! Her nose looks like it is healing nicely too!

5 Likes

Aww!! So adorable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: She looks so happy and comfy. Please keep the Nosey posts coming 2bayboys! Makes my heart sing!

6 Likes

She’s going to fit in here just fine. :heart:

105 Likes

She is adorable - thanks so much for the ongoing updates. It’s so uplifting to see her already start to shine in your care! I really believe horses reflect their environment - it’s so obvious that you offer a wonderful home - caring, calm, clear. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

17 Likes

She’s looking at the girl in the yellow like “hey!! I’m little too!” :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: PLUS that ever so slightly droopy lip…she’s a special one no doubt and I think no matter what’s she does it’s going to be fabulous.

13 Likes

Oh dear, her lack of nutritional and muscular state is showing in her hind end. A little too much femur anatomy showing through there. another month or so she will be a whole new filly. She s clearly making the most of every opportunity

2 Likes

The change in her eye is so striking… and makes my heart full. Thank you so much for sharing her journey with us.

8 Likes

Be still my heart. A sweet bay TB filly with a big engine and a funny blaze. My whole junior hood is bubbling through me. I hope she has many years with you.

10 Likes

In several years, when everyone is old enough for this to make sense, I hope very much that Henry’s pony kid, who will possibly have outgrown Henry, will step into the Children’s Hunter ring on Miss Nosey.

37 Likes

Her soft eye is just :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

4 Likes

I like the story this picture tells.

68 Likes