“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

Well. I really wasn’t shopping at all :rofl:

But if I were, I prefer them three to four so they’re ready to start or just started. Just personal preference.

But I am very in love with this baby. :heart:

46 Likes

I love this guy, he is gorgeous!

3 Likes

I think you need to find another yearling to turn her out with so she has a playmate.

Then you just need to bring them in every other day of so and let a kid groom them and love on them so they don’t go completely feral.

Enablers R Us!

43 Likes

The new president of the COTH Enablers Society. :joy:

32 Likes

Normally I am the same, but I just started the 4yo that I bought as a yearling and I will say, there is a LOT to be said for knowing the youngster inside and out and putting the skills on them the way you want it done. In those three years between, I had time to lay a super duper solid foundation of skills and trust and I swear he practically started himself this year. I bet Nosey will be the same!

If you need another yearling buddy for him, there is a very sweet black Standardbred colt in the ‘after sale’ pen at the auction I got Bo from right now :grimacing: :laughing: :eyes:

24 Likes

My mare’s older half sibling was sort of the barn pet and barn project. Kids queued up to groom her and play with her; the camp kids “backed” her. (With appropriate supervision and guidelines, of course.) Starting her under saddle was a complete non-event, she was already dead broke by the time a saddle was put on her.

It’s a lovely way to start a horse.

@2bayboys, because I like to see the glass half full, I think this is good news. It means she was only neglected/deprived for a couple of months, not years, so she’s much less likely to have long term effects from the malnutrition. I have always been told that it’s preferable to have a ribby yearling than a fat one bc of the risks of epiphysitis and OCD. (Okay, not as ribby as she was in the auction pen, but still.)

If she was, in fact, a stunted, starved 3 yo, I think her rehab would be much more difficult and her outlook would be cloudier.

36 Likes

I agree! String test right now is putting her at finishing 15.2 or 15.3, which is the perfect size for me :grin:

48 Likes

Yay!!

1 Like

That’s an interesting statement, since I 35 doesn’t even run through IL.

1 Like

Growing up, every youngster we ended up was started much the same way. Being wallered by horsey kids is a surprisingly effective training mechanism, lol.

16 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

Yes! I’m certain we can find a suitable one. Should we draw straws to determine who gets to be @2bayboys personal shopper? :sunglasses:

13 Likes

They seem to do pretty well on their own… :wink:

Grey

16 Likes

I wish I could string test well! I’d love to be able to estimate my guys height but I suck at it. LOL

2 Likes

I had two thoughts when I watched these videos:

1. Wow that’s a nice baby.
  2. I want to come live on your beautiful farm. What a bucolic setting, it’s just lovely.
20 Likes

LOL, 2bayboys would like to remain married, and another yearling (that wasn’t supposed to be a yearling) may just push my poor DH over the edge. After she gets a completely clean bill of health and some weight, I’m not opposed to sending her somewhere with baby friends. I don’t have anything that’s willing to play with her.

25 Likes

Right? Forget being a horse in my next life, I can be @2bayboys’ pasture ornament now. I load AND clip, and I’m an easy keeper :smile:

32 Likes

I bet Henry would play with her. He is younger and a gelding. What more does she need?

6 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. He could be big brother for her.

2 Likes

Might be worth a try! He’s out with one other gelding who is happy to play “bite cheeks and destroy fly masks” but not so happy about running laps with him. HMMMMMMMMM…

I don’t generally turn out mares and geldings together but it could work.

26 Likes