“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

I bought the ISH mare in my profile pic as a well nourished three yo, and the only thing I could fault her for was a somewhat short, somewhat underdeveloped neck.

It is completely different as a 5 yo.

If her breeder could have predicted what she would look like at 5, when she was 3…I would have had to pay more money for her. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Love seeing her so playful! I took on a very underweight TB last year and for the first month or so, he might trot in the field, but he didn’t move much. Here he is this spring, feeling so much better!

https://youtu.be/pA41ak6JTm8

47 Likes

I love this!!!

Love him! I love that little jump over some weeds just because.

8 Likes

The jump is cracking me up! I’m not sure I’ve seen Finn video before but he’s one handsome dude.

4 Likes

Oh, boy, do I like him!

1 Like

Update following vet visit!

No microchip :cry:

Definitely a YEARLING. My vet has a specialty in dentistry and she has no doubt those are all baby teeth.

(As an aside, I would not have purchased her if I knew she was a yearling. The universe had other plans.)

She does have some mild wheezing in her lung sounds. SAA is 13 and normal temp, so we’ll continue with SMZs for another ten days and recheck.

On to DNA test!

81 Likes

Which is why they likely advertised her as something else… because who is going to buy a yearling.

Jingles that her wheezing clears up quickly.

26 Likes

Thanks for the update!

I hope the DNA test provides more information for you.

I guess the upside is that your tiny three-year-old is actually a good sized yearling, right?

42 Likes

Exactly!

11 Likes

If (and it’s a BIG if - another horse is not in my current budget) I were in a position to pull a horse I would have no problems getting a yearling and I’m sure there are others as well. Getting them that young means fewer potential problems with previous training and they hopefully will be able to recover from any neglect they’ve had as they’re still growing.

I have my own farm and have bred and raised horses before so I could do this for a reasonable price - a position I realize many are not in.

25 Likes

I love that bit with the pony – “Run with me! Run with me!” Pony: “No.” :laughing:

12 Likes

and the sweet bonus jump

2 Likes

Kind of good news, as good nutrition and growth can fill out the uneven spots. Plus you will have more influence on her notions of how her world works. And of course very good to know re training plan.

Given that many TB’s are born in the spring, it is possible that she is only just recently a yearling. Assuming she is actually full TB.

Bowie may not have lied about the age information they had, that could have come from whoever brought the group. But regardless, clearly someone just wanted this lot gone. So glad this filly landed so well!

18 Likes

His pasture mate is 33 and she is a saint to put up with his antics. He SO wants to have someone to play with him. Of course the downside to having him feeling so good is that he’s developed a bit of an attitude, but I’m working through it.

11 Likes

While he turns back and looks at pony - “Well you’re just no fun at all!”

5 Likes

He and Lola could have had fun, but she’s so tiny she’d not be able to keep up with him. 13.3 hands and very short legs.

She’s having a lot of fun these days. Just needed a lot more space, and a herd.

14 Likes

I’m glad Lola landed in a place where she can be part of a herd!

Back to the OP, she’s an adorable YEARLING and now she has the support she needs to grow into herself. She will be stunning! Incredible how much the perspective changes when you no longer think of her as a three year old.

22 Likes

That’s a good point! Here I am thinking she looks ATROCIOUS and my vet is like “meh, she’s a yearling, they all look wonky/thin/fugly :woman_shrugging:t2:

I haven’t had a yearling for a very long time, need to brush up on my skills!

40 Likes

I was going to ask why not pull her if you’d known? She’s stinkin cute either way!

(Also Yearling Nosey can come live with me any day… I like the babies! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

11 Likes