“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

I just brought home a 4-yr old TB gelding from Bowie last evening. My first time buying from an auction kill pen. I adopted my current horse from New Vocations and have been looking for a buddy for him and something possessed me to look on the Bowie site Monday night. His slaughter date was Wednesday but I was able to buy him online Tuesday night and got him yesterday. In the video, when the auction gentleman hopped on him bareback with a rope halter and trotted and cantered in that aisle, this horse was foot perfect and unbelievably quiet.

I was able to get his JC name and breeding because they showed the chip number. His name is Banjo Jack—by Jack Milton, out of Cari’s Song by Unbridled Energy. War Front on top and Unbridled on the bottom. He had 1 published work exactly a month ago in Lexington and I have no idea how he got here to Texas or when he arrived. But he went from race training to a tiny pen. Long drive home (5 plus hours) and he’s been struggling with an impaction since yesterday but hopefully, we’re turning the corner on that this evening. He is super sweet, unbelievably kind and quiet for a baby. He has a bunch of big bite marks on his face and head and a few others elsewhere. Got him up from the grassy paddock where he spent the night so he could move around, and we gave him a bath, cut that awful glue and tag out of his tail, combed out his mane and tail and got fly stuff on him (not a spray bottle fan, but none of my OTTBs have been at first) and he stood like a rock. Buried his head in my college-age neighbor’s chest during his bath. His new fly outfit came today too, so he will be more comfortable tonight with that and his fly boots. When we first turned him out yesterday after hours in the trailer, he cantered the fence line while we hung out with him and my neighbor went OMG—his canter! Then he trotted and I went OMG—his trot! She cried. We stood there and looked at each other amazed and know we have something special. He has A-circuit quality hunter movement. But even if he didn’t, he’ll be a friend for my other OTTB and his temperament is unbelievably sweet. Prayers for his gut to sort out, but I think he’d had little hay and crap feed (have no idea what they eat there) and not enough water. The vet was out this morning and all his vitals are good, he’s pooping a lot now and it’s improving in quality immensely and he’s drinking and actually attacked some alfalfa tonight where he wouldn’t touch much of anything yesterday.

109 Likes

Oh, I can see the similarities :heart: And a similarly kind, soft eye.

I cannot say enough how happy I am that this sweetheart found the softest landing with you. May you be met with goodness and kindness in all that you do because of the goodness you’ve put forward to other creatures in need.

I would like to grow up to be you, OP. Your eye for good horses, the way you bring young riders along and afford them such incredible opportunities, and picking up some cases that need some TLC to shine. You make me feel like I can be optimistic about the state of the world :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

16 Likes

Aww. Thanks for saving this pretty guy. So sad to think how close he came to not having a soft landing. Big jingles for his tummy to straighten out. It sounds like that could be looking up already. :crossed_fingers: :kissing_heart:

12 Likes

Oh what a sweet face. I’m glad he got a soft landing and hope he thrives with you.

6 Likes

He looks adorable. I hope everything goes well with him.

I have to say I’m wondering how he went from having a published work in Lexington a month ago to ending up in the Bowie pen several states away. Plus it looks like he’s in excellent physical condition from the picture.

That does not speak well of the person who had him and decided he was not going to be a racehorse. Did they not even lift a finger to try to find a better spot for him before they put him on a truck to Texas?

25 Likes

:dart::dart:

And not just Bowie, these places are many and find a niche of horses people care about and just milk it… I follow and STB page that is just overrun by this killpen, Dealer manipulation…

That pipeline scares me.
This one got lucky, but that pipeline is swallowing up how many others?
What a freaking waste, to put all that into this beautiful creature and then so casually throw it away.

15 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhh he’s lovely! Please keep us updated!!!

@MHM throwing these beauties away is heartbreaking and cruel. Especially when they’re so young and promising. :broken_heart:

I have to say this throwaway attitude is not a good look for the racing industry. Over in the racing forum there’s a thread about a very well bred mare that was snagged out of Bowie recently. And now here’s another with @gradytb finding the handsome Banjo Jack.

20 Likes

He’s gorgeous! I was at the track some years ago looking at some horse’s with a friend who was buying. One of the owners had a filly that was rehabbing a broken splint bone; he offered the horse to me for free and (his words): “If things don’t work out, just shit can her.” :open_mouth: People like that should be banned from owning.

12 Likes

Understatement.

And these are just the ones we’re hearing about because they happened to get a lucky break and a soft landing.

10 Likes

Of course, these aren’t the majority. But I do think there should be a zero-tolerance JC ban for the last “connections” of anything that ends up at auction.

11 Likes

Gosh, he looks so much like my sister’s old A-circuit hunter, Jazz. That same nutmeg chestnut color, too. He’s beautiful!

1 Like

PMing you. I don’t know how that horse ended up at slaughter, but he shouldn’t have. Glad he’s safe.

22 Likes

Do share!

13 Likes

I am so glad you got this horse! He is gorgeous, I was going to share him here and then he was sold.

His quality really stood out and I have been wondering of his destination.

Thank you so much for sharing.

6 Likes

The more of these I’m seeing of TB’s ending up at Bowie the more I’m thinking it’s likely that my filly’s story was not the result of a hard luck life event in her connections but rather a deliberate dumping.

19 Likes

My wonderings EXACTLY. I have wonderful contacts in Lex and was told that any trainer that is found to sell to a kill buyer won’t get stalls at the track.

Praise the Lord though. This morning he has been up the whole time, alert, watching everything and my other gelding comes down from his longhorn steer buddy to keep Banjo company regularly. Banjo is hungry— gave him probably a little too much alfalfa last night and his manure is pretty runny this morning but he also has about 5 acres of pasture w good grass he can eat. Trying to figure out what I can give him today to start easing him back to some real feed. He actually ate a carrot too!.

29 Likes

I don’t know this for sure, but I suspect the advanced age of his owner/breeder may have had something to do with it.

I don’t know his breeder personally but he is not young. I don’t know if he was still training his horses or a family member or friend took them over or they were sold/given to someone else or what.

1 Like

I think Banjo needs his own thread :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: where we can have more pictures and videos, please… :crossed_fingers:

34 Likes

Nosey does not mind at all sharing her thread but I definitely want to see more of Banjo!! :heart:

27 Likes

I’m sorry for highjacking, but I wanted to let people know that I think I also got a nice horse from Bowie. I will say that they were very easy to deal with. When we got there, they had a brand new Coggins for him, although not a photo one and they didn’t know his name. We drove truck and trailer down a long (narrow!) alley and they open gates to move him into a pen and then we opened the trailer door and the gentleman took the halter and lead I brought and led him up into the trailer and tied him. He was very nice, the place was clean and very organized. OK – I"ll start a thread for him!

39 Likes