“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

You’re not hijacking!! We all want more info on Banjo Jack wherever we can get it! :grin:

11 Likes

And Nosey is NICE too. Wow. I love her build and Banjo’s trot looks SO MUCH like hers. I had to laugh when she slipped in that video. Never mind—I’ll just throw in a few bucks too! Like my other OTTB. NO worries, I’ll just show off!

11 Likes

I definitely didn’t mean to suggest gradytb was hijacking, I just really like to see pix and videos of other people’s auction/project horses :laughing: I also think gradytb should post him on the Bowie thread so people that follow that can see him, in addition to giving him his own unique thread!

14 Likes

Oh – I was looking for a Bowie thread when I posted here because I thought there was one but I couldn’t find it.

2 Likes

DD and I were fueling up at a gas station in Prospect KY hauling home from a clinic at Flying Cross some yrs ago and a guy there buying drinks approached us asking if we had extra room (4H GN) did we want a free horse? He worked at the local race training center and there was one that had to go. I was dying to be curious … bring home ‘another’ horse …? That would have been a deep end.

3 Likes

Once a track knows your name and that you’re a sucker, you will get all sorts of calls and emails from the trainers and track vet asking you to consider horses that their owners have told them to get rid of. :rofl:

I got four great TBs for free because of minor injuries that just needed some Dr. Green that no one wanted to pay for. All came sound quickly and held up to jumping and flat work.

30 Likes

Question about these bumps of grayish flesh at the bottom of each laceration on Nosey’s face. I’m assuming it’s dead/dying skin, should I leave it alone? Put something on it to make it slough off? She does occasionally rub her face on something like it’s itchy, but it doesn’t seem overly sensitive.

Vet saw her. Could you text vets office with a photo and ask for ointment recommendation if they think she needs it?

Does it look like proud flesh to you?

1 Like

It does not look like proud flesh to me, it looks like the flap of skin that covered the wound before the injury. Just wondering if it will shrivel up eventually or if I should be helping it along. Vet wasn’t concerned about it last week and we were admittedly concentrating on other matters, but I’ll send her the pic tomorrow when she’s back in the office.

Personally I would not pull at the scab. I would just sponge it clean and apply vitamin E oil.

14 Likes

Probably not the right answer, but I too would want to help it along because it just seems like be itchy.

Doing other stuff is likely a far better answer than this though.

1 Like

I would try honey.

1 Like

Keep it moisturized if you can. I use Desitin paste or whatever ointment you have laying around. It will keep it from being as itchy.

It will heal fine if you do nothing. Just makes me feel better keeping something on it.

5 Likes

I’ve had great luck with a little rub of Vaseline for minor wounds like that. A tiny dab and rub and it softens it up and gets rid of the itch which is likely from the pull from the little scab. I’d likely rub the whole area between the two arrows, it looks like it’s a bit rubbed up there.

8 Likes

My late prior horse used to whack himself across the center white strip of his face, every year right before the biggest show of the year. Went down the dressage center line with a big noticeable piece of skin missing across the otherwise elegant white face marking, much like Nosey’s raw spots. Something for the judge to look at during that long trek to C.

I agree with any treatment that makes you feel better.

It takes a long time for all the hair to grow back in after the healing. But a few months from now no one will ever know these spots were there.

It’s just hard to look at during the interim while it is still a bit raw, because it kind of looks back at you, ya know. There’s no way not to wonder continuously if the human owes the horse some furazone or mtg or vetericyn or something to put on this.

But with or without help, it’s going to heal just like every other patch of skin horses manage to knock off of their body. :grin:

5 Likes

Happily out with the big girls tonight. When the witchy pony heads in her direction with ears pinned, Nosey feints away with a head toss and a little buck, then waits until the fatty is eating again and sidles back into the bubble.

That’s my girl. Nobody puts baby in the corner. :muscle:t2:

113 Likes

Awwwwwwwwwwwww.

2 Likes

She looks like such a yearling, in that great profile shot next to the mature aunties!

7 Likes

Agreed. Vaseline, neosporin ointment, A&D ointment, vitamin E etc …. Will keep the skin moist allow you to treat it and it will heal in no time.
Love all the Nosey updates.

4 Likes

I would have a hard time leaving the skin alone, but “helping it along” could damage new tissue.

5 Likes