“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

Part of the Ascarid cycle is coughing them from lungs to be swallowed where they mature to egg producers

4 Likes

Oh gross! I did not know that. That’s disgusting.

1 Like

Parasitology was one of my favorite classes in college.

Better they go where they are supposed to rather than wind up someplace they best not be, like your brain. 🪱l

16 Likes

And some say there’s no order to the universe. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Has anyone ever told you you’re weird?

(In the nicest possible way! :rofl:)

I do know there are many fascinating adaptations. But I had to head straight out of one museum exhibit after seeing the picture of the fish with its tongue replaced by a parasite.

2 Likes

I am now going down the rabbit hole of ascarid infestation (ewwwwww) and wondering if the negative fecal was accurate. Good thing my hair is already gray cause I’m a worrier.

13 Likes

All of Nosey’s aunties are sending positive vibes !!!

14 Likes

Oh no! :worried: Here’s hoping it’s just something minor. If it’s allergies, I’ve heard that Spirulina can help. Here’s some info https://www.forageplustalk.co.uk/why-feed-spirulina-to-horses/ Jingling very hard for sweet Nosey! :heart:

1 Like

I’m hoping it’s allergies for you too! As a person that’s affected badly by allergies I can tell you the past 4ish days have KILLED me. Bad cough, no voice, chest congestion, and it’s all due to the air quality. I’m finally starting to feel a bit better.

4 Likes

well yes and no. If you caught a fecal during the phase where the adults have been killed but there are still immature forms in migration you need interval checks and deworming

and hold on to your hat

I read a journal item where they identified an animal (cannot remember species) that had all male adult forms which meant, no diagnostic eggs

and yes @avjudge I have been called weird . I could spend hours (and have done so) in medical / natural history museums

13 Likes

IME spirulina is wonderful for breathing issues. My boy went from barely being able to be in the barn, to hardly a cough after 20 minutes. Unfortunately I lost him to other unrelated problems, but strongly recommend spirulina for allergies.

5 Likes

Anecdotally, we started feeding spirulina to help with skin funk and scurf that was happening with our old gelding and the two old donkeys. One donkey had a lot of trouble with summer sores and flies really bothered his sheath and around his eyes. The other donkey often had weird bald-ish patches on his hind shins in warm weather and his skin just seemed kinda dry and flaky. Older gelding didn’t shed out very well.

They all look great this summer. We’ve been feeding it about six months. Gelding slicked right out, and both donkeys are much more normal looking.

2 Likes

I’ve never had any luck getting horses to eat spirulina. What’s the most palatable?

SmartPak sells it in pelleted form. I opted for that when I tried it for my allergic horse last year. I figured if it worked I could decide if it was worth transitioning to a source that was cheaper but harder to feed. It made no difference for him though. I might still have a partial bag left that I could send Nosey if you want to try it!

2 Likes

That would be wonderful!

Thinking that given her condition just 6 to 8 weeks ago, unfortunately some little bothersome things may come and go for some time. Weakened immune system, needs time to gather its full strength. Anything from coughs to the skin problems.

If only we could feed one special magical supplement and everything cleared up, and no more issues. It can take months for things to really sort themselves out into a resilient horse again. Depending, of course.

Just a thought for preparedness and trying not to over-react as the weeks go by. :grin:

I had one recover from a serious illness and then over about 8 months go through a string of rather-minor unrelated issues. A conversation with an experienced horse friend had us agreeing that the common thread was that the whole body and immune system had to recover, as well as the initial health problem.

In that case, the next months saw a foot abscess, a slight flu, an eye infection, an occasionally uncomfortable tummy that didn’t develop into anything, and other things I don’t even remember. He would get over one thing and about three weeks later there would be something else that didn’t seem to have anything to do with what came before. I felt I was always treating something. Treatment supplies piled up in the kitchen as each resolved. He gradually got back to his usual impervious self.

8 Likes

Am I seeing too much to think that her shape may be changing just a little bit with growth from early April in the Bowie pen – slightly longer back, quarters a bit more balanced? Or am I just seeing the contrast with the tucked-up belly, under-feeding and stress compared with calories being well-distributed?

I am really, really curious as to her actual birth month, given that at this stage of growth things can change by the month and she just be reaching a year old or barely past it. Overthinking this, of course. May never know that answer.

That said, so glad that you now have a good opinion/pinpoint on her actual birth year. There will be many times in the future when knowing her true age will matter. Not just when younger, but when older as well.

ETA: Thinking that maybe growth is happening. :slight_smile: That wasn’t clear on first posting.

2 Likes

I feed these wafers: https://www.springtimeinc.com/product/spirulina-wafers-horse-allergy-supplements/natural-horse-supplements

3 Likes

I used MadBarn. It just went in with his soaked alfalfa pellets that had his grain dumped on top. He was started with less than the recommended amount because I’d read that some horses just don’t like it. He couldn’t have cared less. It really was a godsend for his breathing.

8 Likes

Hi 2bb! Just checking in to see how Nosey is doing? How is her cough? Any improvement?

3 Likes