“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

The difference in her body mass is just unbelievable. Wow.

8 Likes

Yes…she has body mass now.

5 Likes

And her neck has developed so much. Even with a not a great pic, we can see she’s really coming along!

7 Likes

With that lovely long neck, that’s going to be a lot of front porch to look out over. I love her.

5 Likes

It’s still funny that the auction house thought she was a 3-y-o!

1 Like

It’s too bad about the fly mask (absolutely obligatory right now) but otherwise such a pretty picture yesterday evening. :heart:

81 Likes

My assumption is they knew and figured no one would adopt a yearling.
People will adopt poor underfed neglected almost riding age horses.

6 Likes

THAT is an amazing photo. What a transformation. (No one tell her that long yearlings are supposed to be fugly. Shhhhhhhh.)

6 Likes

To me, that’s even worse because they have to know that would encourage people to start riding a horse they thought was old enough. I know very lightweight people get on late yearlings bound for the track, but not many Americans are small and lightweight enough to make riding a yearling ok.

5 Likes

:heart_eyes:

Her growth and body condition are just stunning. Well done, you!

8 Likes

I think they were told she was 3 by whoever dropped them off

4 Likes

I keep hoping, when I see several replies to this thread, that the results are back from the JC.

5 Likes

YES!! I’m also curious!

Waiting….waiting……

In the meantime

70 Likes

Ya’ know, it’s too bad she’s such a crappy mover.

( :rofl: )

20 Likes

There have been many frustrating moments in the last couple months (WHY are you coughing; WHY aren’t you eating; WHO ARE YOU) and then she trots across the field and I’m just … DAYUM.

57 Likes

I am not a thoroughbred person. Henry is more in-line with what I need as a rider. (I know, stereotypes, but still…) BUT I come to this thread every day, sometimes more than once. There is nothing, nothing I tell you, like a beautiful bay horse, and this filly is beautiful. Thank you SO much for sharing your journey with us.

21 Likes

I knew two people who thought starting them under saddle before they were two was just fine. Granted they were not huge people but it was full western tack, working circles or trail riding.

1 Like

Some of the racehorse people start them as long yearlings in order to get them ready to run as fast as they possibly can during the early two-year-old in training sales in March.

Plus don’t a lot of the quarter horse shows have futurity classes for two-year-olds? So I’m sure a lot of people start the young horses sooner than I ever would.

2 Likes

Had an conversation with a rider at the endurance event I attended this past weekend that made me think of you and Nosey.

There were a few piles of chopped forage along the line to the vet area and this rider made a point to keep her obviously-interested horse away from the piles. When I asked why (generally we encourage horses to eat anything and everything they will during an event), she said her horse is allergic and if he eats more than a mouthful or two of alfalfa, he starts coughing! Turns out he is allergic to alfalfa and clover, so she assumes all legumes. I asked how on earth she could turn him out if he reacted to clover, and she said spirulina supplement kept the cough at bay.

9 Likes