“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

Oh yes, especially when they are brindle or fawn. :rofl:

3 Likes

Also, the TB search goes through the Jockey Club. No idea who does their lab services, whether it’s managed “in house” or goes through one of the big labs, but regardless, that’s one more middle man in the process.

4 Likes

Yes the DNA sample got sent to a lab in California with an identifying number on it assigned by the JC. I also had to take photos and fill out a form with the info I knew, and that went to the Jockey Club. That form also had the same identifying number on it. So when the JC gets the DNA info from the lab, they match it to the form they have on file and then send the results (if any) to me.

17 Likes

Just tell me where we need to go and walk around in front of the building with protest signs until they get the results back! Lol.

Regarding the dog thing, years ago, somebody rented a condo for the winter in Florida without mentioning there was a limit on the size of dog that was allowed. And my coworker found out the hard way when somebody asked her how much her dog weighed, and when she said 35 pounds, they told her the dog was not allowed to live in that condo.

So she had to find a different place to stay, and my dog and I had the place to ourselves for the winter, since when they asked me how much he weighed, I said 18 pounds. Which was not necessarily accurate, but nobody ever produced a scale to check it. Lol.

6 Likes

That is what my pittie cross was, he was a Boxer mix LOL

3 Likes

Ah that makes sense. I must of fast read over the part where it went through the JC.
I’m also just very impatient. :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, I’d always wanted a Russian Blue cat. A friend of a friend “had one” that needed a new home ASAP. When he arrived… nope. Big fluffy gray longhair cat, no way he was a Russian Blue. But he was an awesome cat - not the sharpest tool in the shed, and easily frightened, but affectionate and silly.

It’s funny; my last 2 female cats, Naku (RIP) and Gracie, both gray, could have passed for Russian Blue, although Gracie is a bit too chonky.

13 Likes

I believe I’ve found the cause of Nosey’s coughing. I’ve hesitated to write an update because I didn’t want to jinx it.

About ten days ago a second horse in the barn started coughing. And I’m just completely confused because in 22 years in this barn I’ve never had respiratory problems in any horse. Ever. The second horse has had no contact with Nosey and same thing, no fever, just coughing. The only nexus between them was they were both eating Unbeetable beet pulp pellets and Unbeetable Forage Only as part of their feed. As a test, I stopped feeding both of them that particular feed. The second horse stopped coughing immediately and hasn’t coughed once since he stopped eating the Unbeetable. Nosey improved within two days, and now seven days later is almost completely cough free. She’s off all meds except for Zyrtec and I plan to try weaning her off that after she’s been cough free for two weeks.

I don’t think it’s the beet pulp in the feed that’s the culprit, because she still gets beet pulp in the Equine Senior as her primary ration. I think it must be something that’s used in the processing. I was searching on COTH for allergy threads and came across one poster who said that her horse was allergic to the binding agent used in pellets and commercial feeds, and it was that and the second horse coughing that made a lightbulb go off for me.

Fingers crossed I’m right. A week ago I had a call in to my vet to try yet another med protocol for Nosey. Stopped feeding the Unbeetable and within two days I had changed my mind because her symptoms were so much improved.

Meanwhile she is feeling SO GOOD that we are going to school for Baby Manners 101, as leading in and out of the barn has become an excuse to practice airs above the ground. No ma’am and thank you very much. :smirk:

97 Likes

That’s great news! Well done you for figuring it out. :+1:

3 Likes

I mean, horses why can you just not. (snot?)

this is great news and if it holds up becomes another piece of horsepersons knowledge that may help others in the future. I think developing observation skills and Spidey sense goes a long way in becoming a good horseperson

Because damn, sometimes they just strive to keep it interesting

7 Likes

Wouldn’t it just be excellent if it’s something so simple! Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

I had what appeared to be a Russian Blue dumped at my barn years ago, sweetest little cat I ever had.

1 Like

I’ll stop sidetracking after this post, but is this not the cutest kitten ever? (Grabbed the photo from a FB group, never met the little fella.)

28 Likes

At one of the places I rented (can’t remember which one), my lease specified “one small dog, one small cat.” OK, people, did you look at my dog when I showed him to you? He was definitely over 45 or 50 pounds at that time. He got a little stockier with age, being a Lab mix (probably). The lease didn’t get printed and signed until after I’d moved in, and I wasn’t about to tell them that my dog wasn’t small at that point. But he was also a total sweetheart.

Rebecca

1 Like

Those wee feet :smiley:!

2 Likes

Toe beans!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

Fingers crossed that cough is done for!!!

I have one of those “andalusians” that was purchased from an auction by her previous owner. Grade weanling andalusian (I have a copy of the bill of sale). She looks pretty full andalusian to me? I have no idea but I sure do love her! We won’t set the world on fire but she’s about the sweetest horse I ever had and I’ve had some pretty awesome horses as an adult.

5 Likes

Every long haired cat is a Maine coon mix :slight_smile:

I am more of a dog person so it’s interesting to read about all the cat breeds. My idea of the full spectrum of cat breeds is: “orange kitty,” “tabby,” “Siamese,” and “Himalayan.” Orange kitties are my favorite. This is my step-daughter’s:

My husband says he hates cats (really he loves all animals though) so his caption for that photo was, “I hate how cute this cat is!”

Okay, sorry to contribute to the cat de-rail! I too was excited when I saw all the new posts.

11 Likes

And to be clear, I don’t fault rescues for this. A lot of wonderful animals have found homes because of the right search engine terms or someone being emotionally committed to the idea of wanting a certain breed. I just think it can get a little silly when someone is dead set that their rural country bumpkin rescue is an exotic imported breed where it would be hard to even find a breeder. I totally get the reference point or even the fun story telling of “what if”. One of mine looks an Abyssinian mix. He came from the crawlspace of a home in the middle of nowhere and I’m sure has the most bland lineage imaginable. He’s still precious though!

To the original topic. YAY!!! If that ends up being the case I’m sure your sleuthing will impact many future horses through frustrated googling and problem solving. Horses, the never ending mystery.

1 Like