“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

Yes, mine does carry a reader. I also plan to do a blood panel just to get a baseline of health markers, definitely a fecal, and check her mouth for needed work.

29 Likes

On the video he says "There were 7 of these that came in total … " and then I think he finishes the sentence (further away from the microphone) “… and they were all in the same state.” By which I think he means ‘same condition’.

If the ‘7 total’ were a collection of lightly-handled somewhat-neglected young TB’s of about the same age, I could guess a classic situation of an owner who thought they had a cheap TB breeding project in progress, but without much experience, and too many horses for their space. Likely on dirt lots or overgrazed pasture and not much feeding as “horses eat grass”. Meaning green stuff, regardless of the level of nutrition.

These situations are not uncommon in rural areas west of Ft. Worth (Bowie territory) where there is land, and new property owners from the city who don’t know much about rural life.

It’s a whole new demographic in what is traditionally a very rural area. As the boomer landowner generation are aging and shifting out, with no grown children or grandchildren who want the family farm. So it’s sold to someone from the city who likes the idea but doesn’t know much. Development peters out in that direction because west from greater DFW the land becomes more harsh and there is very little of economic size.

North of there, in better pasture areas, are some big outfits that, all together, produce literally hundreds of racing-bred youngsters yearly. Really nice horses from quality nutrition. Sometimes people get the idea that they can do the same thing on a much smaller scale. It’s harder and more cash intensive than they expect.

These babies might have gotten some time with a professional colt-starter, but then funds ran out, and no private buyers in their condition. They aren’t really useful for racing (there’s a fair amount of racing in east TX and Louisiana). So they just keep overgrazing their limited space.

Until someone decided that they didn’t have the time or money any more. And/or a death or financial shortfall situation, as was speculated. With no resources to continue with these underfed youngsters, they had to go. It was actually good of someone to let them go onward, rather than hold them on the same lot for years, as unfortunately happens sometimes. Sometimes without gelding the males and having all sexes in the same lot.

But all that is pure speculation – however if I interpret the man’s remarks enough to be in the ballpark, it’s the kind of situation that auctions like Bowie see a good deal.

This filly does have a presence, a self-awareness, about her. If this filly spoke to you, OP, then I have no doubt that you and she will build a special reality for you both. She has had a very fortunate improvement of situation. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Congratulations! I’m sure she will be a beauty once she fills out and in a few months you will never know what condition she came in.

My prize mare came through Thompson’s horse lot. I have absolutely no idea how she ended up there as she is super safe under saddle and an incredible ride. After I broke my foot, I was hobbling around on crutches and still went trail riding with my friend’s. That is how much I trust my mare.

I would love to find her history but I think those places deliberately destroy any paperwork. There’s no reason they can’t keep track of what auction they bought them from or who sold them to the lot… It’s a shame because I think a lot of horses lose their history and identity.

Does anyone know if they keep papers on their horses or do all their horses sell as grade?

I would love to start a rescue one day… But I don’t have the land for it. Or the finances.

4 Likes

In general, I think auction/lot horses sell with whatever comes with them. I know people who have purchased at auction or pulled horses from lots and some came with their papers. If a previous owner is trying to cover their tracks for some reason, then they might send the horse to sell and not send the papers along. Or sometimes the papers were just lost already for one of the many reasons why that tends to happen.

1 Like

At least some horses come from other auctions, passed on when they did not sell. Most of the auctions that advertise a “ship date” don’t mean to Mexico. They mean to another auction, to try again.

Of course, being passed from one auction to another, horses truly do lose their identity and background to future buyers.

I wish there were some way to make a common database to find out where auction horses originated.

However, I don’t think posting in social media hoping for answers is a good idea. Schemers are likely to come out of the woodwork, hoping to find an advantage, or make trouble with the current owner, somehow.

4 Likes

I follow Horse Brands on FB and just last week they had a grey gelding that had come out of Bowie recently, tracked him down to his original NV owner. That page is fascinating for being able to track down brands and former owners, I’ve only been following for a while and so many people have connected with the original branders of the horse, even to find pictures when they were with that owner.

Of course, that requires a brand being on the horse, which I don’t think helps Nosey but it’s been interesting to watch. I’ve bought a couple horses out of the ring and was able to track down the person that dropped them off at the sale and get the back story. That can take some diplomacy…

10 Likes

Congrats to you and Nosey for finding one another.

My enthusiasm for following her story is such that I came on today thinking, ‘It’s been about a week since pics were posted. I’ll politely ask for a picture update.’ Then I checked to see the OP and it’s 2 days old! :rofl:

I’m so excited for the glow up I’ve become untethered to time altogether. :grimacing:

Thanks for sharing the journey so we can all follow along!

26 Likes

I think being able to verify a horse’s identity provides them with a potential layer of protection for down the road. While training and performance record are most important, for a mare especially a guaranteed pedigree could be a safety net if necessary. I’m not too worried about the TB breeding mafia coming after me if I do some sleuthing into this filly’s background :rofl:

Speaking of her, here’s the feral beast this morning greeting me at the gate. She had managed to get her halter off overnight and I worried for a moment that might be a problem, but not at all. She’s been as gentle as a lamb from day one. It really makes me cry wondering about the others that came in with her. They were probably all just as socialized and nicely brought up, and who knows where they are now. :cry:

112 Likes

Oh, we did get a new pic!! Thank you!

She looks ribby but lovely and gentle and curious.

12 Likes

She’s so sweet and doe-eyed!

Re-diplomacy, I had to get through a conversation in which the seller of our sweet new TWH told us how he had to “hit on him a little” when he couldn’t catch him one day. Based on the horse’s terror of all things people I sure believed him. I did end up with all the info I needed but it wasn’t easy to work through that convo.

Someone on the HB page said they have a friend whose job is driving the “saleable” auction horses from one sale to another, maybe three of them, before they end up going to MX. Maybe her crowd is still out there somewhere, I sure hope so. :frowning:

10 Likes

She has such a sweet face in that last photo of her at the gate!

2 Likes

She has great expression there. Looking for the next carrot, perhaps. :carrot:

4 Likes

I can’t even. :heart:

91 Likes

I believe you have a pretty good chance of getting a hit on the dna test. I tested my gelding in the Saddlebred registry and a bit surprisingly came back positive. I’ve tried to get a hold of his breeder but have yet to conduct that conversation, while it would be cool to have his papers in my name I’m much more interested in knowing some of his history and I’d think she would like to know he hit a soft landing.

8 Likes

That booboo looks quite healable & might not be at all related to handling at the auction.
My Hunter stepped off the hired shipper’s trailer (took 8 of us to the show) with a bloody forehead. From a 2h haul. In an air-ride semi :expressionless:

@OnAMission The couple who been boarding DH’s TWH for his seller before we bought him had “show quality” (their term) Walkers.
They wouldn’t turn him out with the Show horses, as if his Registered Racking self would somehow taint their fancy horses :unamused:
So he was In more than Out while he was there.
When we went to test ride, horse lunged at the guy from his stall. Response was to grab a halter & whale at his head :confused:
That horse didn’t have a mean bone in his body!
He was a puppy in a horsesuit. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Once we got him home there was never any show of aggression.
My 2¢ said he’d decided even Negative interaction beat none at that place.
Show Walkers, my a*!* 2Dogs walks away grumbling…

15 Likes

@2bayboys, has anyone mentioned scanning Nosey for a chip?

For the last 5 years or so, registered TBs have all been microchipped and their papers are now digital. So even if someone wanted to send “papers” with her, they couldn’t have because the papers don’t physically exist.

11 Likes

Hi Laurie, yes I’ve asked my vet to make sure she brings her chip reader with her when she comes for the checkup. Fingers crossed!

31 Likes

Excellent. Good luck!

4 Likes

She does look like she’s living up to her barn name there. Lol.

4 Likes

Ooh…It’s like looking back in time for my mare. They look so much alike. I do hope you can find out her breeding through the DNA.

5 Likes