“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

I’m
Sorry
But what a super negative post.

49 Likes

Bless your heart.

2 Likes

No worries, my expectations for this filly’s future are very realistic.

49 Likes

You have received a huge deposit of positive Karma. Thank you for making space in your heart for this filly. What a wonderful thing to do!

18 Likes

Honestly… I have most of my life dedicated to horses. That being said, I would not consider myself an expert. But I know energies, and I’ve seen thousands of animals… just from her photos and video, she is not on her death bed and she is not lacking intellectually. She has a will, and a gentle way that I believe will make both of you supremely happy. She is a find, and bless you for giving her a chance. It sounds cliche but I also gave mine a chance and it makes things different.

42 Likes

I hope that is the case. But It’s so hard to know. Take a chance, wait and see.

2 Likes

She’s absolutely lovely. Have a wonderful time with her and definitely update if you sort out her DNA.

6 Likes

The OP is very experienced with this horse stuff (which is stated in the original post). Your speech might be necessary for someone who has no horse experience, but certainly is not needed for this OP.

I am so looking forward to hearing the Nosey Adventures.

33 Likes

I am painfully aware of the impracticality of this whole project and the high likelihood of failure, yet for some reason the universe decided this sweet gentle filly needed a soft landing with me.

I’ve been seriously considering the idea of breeding my mare, a former show horse that now is my primary hunt horse, so maybe the universe offered up an alternative crazy plan. “You want the uncertainty and heartbreak of a pregnancy and raising a foal? Here, try this instead!”

:smirk:

100 Likes

I once bought a horse that I never would have considered. Tall skinny pig eyed TB standing in a field Not my type at all. Dull black coat, brittle feet. He ended up a dreamy hunter hack deluxe. Albeit old fashioned looking. He looked like those old hunting prints I see the same thing in Nosey that drew me to him. That quiet demeanor that runs through the body. He was a gentleman by all definitions.

Good luck with your lady!

30 Likes

When I was reading your first post, as soon as I saw that you were dreaming about her, I knew that you HAD TO HAVE HER. I think that dreams are often our higher selves trying to get ideas into our waking selves, things that we should do or be.

Good on your higher self. Seems to have gotten through this time.

I’m going to enjoy her glow-up.

8 Likes

At least you only had to wait a couple of weeks to see what she looked like in person instead of eleven months.

14 Likes

She is a lucky girl and looks like she will glow up nicely. Always glad to hear when the auction purchases work out.

5 Likes

TB have the best glow ups! They can look so gangly when they are very young race horses, and fill out so nicely when they mature. Of course if they age and get Cushing’s, hunters bumps, and general anorexia they can look pathetic and fragile again. But I’ve rarely seen a fit mature conditioned TB that wasn’t a beautiful horse with good functional conformation. So the odds on Nosy growing up to be beautiful are very high.

24 Likes

Love her name and your whole backstory. Have been following your posts on this forum for a while. I respect so much your thoughtfulness and intuition in saving this young horse. I could tell from your posts you had many concerns about how things would turn out … and that you are extremely aware of what you’re up against. And that you’re fully capable. I also sincerely believe you did something amazing. And in the end … no matter what happens … you got this! Welcome home Nosey!!!
You hit the jackpot sweet girl!

29 Likes

Her feet look in pretty good shape in the Bowie video. If somebody isn’t feeding a horse they sure aren’t paying for hoof care. This might mean she had pretty good care in the past and just recently fell on hard times. Maybe her owners ran out of money, died, got out of horses and she got thrown out for the winter with little or no food. And then got sent to an auction and ended up at Bowie. She sure doesn’t look like a three year old though. I think groceries are going to make a pretty quick improvement in her condition.

16 Likes

Yes, her feet are not too bad. Need some balancing trim work but she’s not particularly long or chipping.
And she’s thin but she’s not skeletal.
I’m speculating that her owner/breeder died or had a change in circumstances and a family member or somebody stepped in and liquidated.

I’m really really hoping she’s microchipped at least.

36 Likes

I have taken on two neglect cases, one with some malnutrition, both young, a 3yo and a 4 yo.

Other than resisting the temptation to shove the groceries at them too quickly, it was pretty straightforward and very gratifying, as I’m sure you already know.

The biggest problem I had with the first one was deworming. He had an ivermectin resistant onchocerca infection, and in early summer, he looked like he was molting and was miserable. With the help of my vet, we finally got rid of the onchocerca, and afterward, he had an absolutely gorgeous coat. But it took some time and patience.

That one was the much beloved mount of a timid re-rider and he absolutely understood that his treat supply depended on his taking care of her. He retired in his 20s.

The other one blossomed so quickly with good care (not so much neglected as a lower standard of care, more like your Henry the Handyman than Nosey.) it was amazing. He never quite got to 15.1, but since I never knew his breeding, I don’t know if that was genetic or not enough calories when he was growing. If the seller lists “will pony from the bed of a pick up truck” as a selling point, you pretty much know what you are going to see.

Good luck with Nosey. I can’t wait to see how she glows up.

19 Likes

Wow. Really looking forward to getting to hear about this journey. I think she will pick up condition quickly and turn out to be a very nice horse. I love her trot.

3 Likes

Did you mention the possibility of a microchip to the vet who is coming for the appointment? I don’t know if every vet carries a microchip reader around with them at all times.

3 Likes