“Note to Self” my (so far happy) experience buying (a yearling! 🤦🏻‍♀️) from Bowie Livestock

I would think so, assuming the breeding and subsequent live birth were recorded?

5 Likes

Friday:

Monday:

Already looking better after just a few days.

91 Likes

She really is - it’s remarkable in such a short time!

4 Likes

Oh my she looks amazing ! Making gains so quickly ! Never for once thought she’d have learning or brain impairment. Not with that soft eye and amenable nature. I’ve rehabbed malnourished horses. Even one that was near death. She’s going to be just fine. And honestly @2bayboys you are a gem. Like attracts like. You don’t need some wine or trepidation. You need to take a step back and realize you made a difference. At a time that no one else did. That’s pretty freaking amazing.

40 Likes

Imagine what the young riders in your program are learning about how to live their life.

38 Likes

She does look like she appreciates hitting the life lottery like this! Interesting to see her looking so much better, even after a long trip. Resilience.

Has your vet seen her yet? I’m sure that will be an interesting conversation, given what you know of her backstory.

Looking forward to her update photos every month! She may look like a different horse in a month or two. :grin:

5 Likes

I did a DNA test with the jockey club in the last 2 years. They will send you an envelope for a hair sample. You send it back. If the horse is registered, they can ID. They envelope is confusing, as it looks like you need to provide extra info, but you don’t.

6 Likes

She’s here for it and I’m glad you’re giving it to her.

2 Likes

The difference in just a few days is amazing! Her tummy must’ve been nearly empty for so long.

She has such a soft, kind eye and her neck goes on for days. I can’t wait to see how she looks after a month of bed and board at Chez Henry.

14 Likes

I wonder if she was dehydrated after everything she went through in the last 6-8 weeks. That could make a big difference very quickly. We rescued a 12H pony in the early 90s that drank 50 gallons of water in 2 days and you could tell it made a huge difference in his looks and attitude.

13 Likes

I expect that’s part of it! She drank a ton when she first arrived and I’ve had to add a bucket in her stall because she’s still drinking more than anybody else in the barn. Adding water can definitely “plump” them up quickly.

40 Likes

Yep had a weanling that was looking punky and we started feeding him soaked mashes of his grain, he plumped right up.

1 Like

And dehydration can make them look terrible. Dehydration is sounding like a reasonable assumption.

In auction pens, in a group of horses, even the group they came with, some horses can be a bit shy to get their share of water, as well as food. Horses are not comfortable to drink if they are not relaxed.

Even if we don’t see an immediate danger and a horse does not appear overtly anxious, they can easily be shy about drinking. Doubtless many people on this board have experienced the frustration of trying to get a horse to drink when the horse is even mildly stressed.

Making it a further good sign that Nosey is ready to drink all she can now. :slight_smile:

Long ago it was explained to me by a long distance rider that, in the wild, horses are particularly vulnerable to predators when they are drinking. Head down to the ground water. Harder to hear while drinking. So the conclusion was that is why it can be harder to get some horses to drink well, or drink at all, if they are even mildly stressed.

14 Likes

amazing what food, water, lower stress and TLC can do. from the look of those lovely paddocks she will blossom in no time at all

2 Likes

And this is why she now lives in VA:

151 Likes

She looks amazing in just what, 3 days? Love the video, she’s home :heart:

10 Likes

Be still my heart!! What a mover! And your lush paddocks are incredible! I have a very soft spot for TBs.

12 Likes

There’s something very “classic TB” about her conformation, even underweight. She’s beautiful. I love the marking on the nose falling to the wayside… how symbolic (though now remedied!)

(At this point you should offer consulting services at auctions and kill pens. I’d pay for your eye!)

32 Likes

OMG, that trot! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Not gonna lie, I cried a little.

39 Likes