Unlimited access >

Novice Clinic in MN for Distance Riding - April 27, 2024

There will be a Novice Clinic held on April 27,2024 in Crow Hassen Regional Park, near Rogers, MN.

The clinic is open to riders of all ages and disciplines. No horse required, but there will be a mock ride in the afternoon following the clinic for those who want to check out the sport more closely.

Experienced ride veterinarians and competitors will be presenting on topics such as feeding and conditioning the distance horse, what the vets are looking for during their pre and post ride exams, what are the different events. There will be breakout sessions on multiple topics (each participant can chose 2 topics) including saddle fit, tips on the vet check trot outs, camping with your horse and competing on a non-traditional distance horse.

For more information, go to www.mndra.com

3 Likes

Great location for this. Crow Hassan is a wonderful, huge park to ride in. That does happen to be MN Horse Expo weekend…

Thank you. It is a very nice park and good trails. I know we are up against horse expo, unfortunately it was the only weekend available before our competition season starts.
We keeping it to Saturday only, so they could still attend Expo on Friday or Sunday.

We took our horses from the show ring to the wilderness, it was not at first an easy transition for them but they needed the change as they really had become bored of going around and around.

We worked several NATRC distance rides before actually bring any horse to a competition to gain some insight as to what was going to be needed.

The horses at first thought we had lost our minds to ask them to cross a creek, they were looking for the bridge that just had to be there as it was in all those trail classes they had won.

I remember the first ride’s first P&R check, the horse though surely this was the line up for judging at the end of a class, she squared herself up, head up, ears forward she was very pretty. The other competitors looked on in amazement asking What’s she doing? …Oh, she thinks this is line up for the class.

I noticed that each of our horses did watch what the others were doing then mimic them, they learned very quickly