Unlimited access >

Nylon Lined Shoulders on Coolers

Hello! I am in the midst of making a cooler for my horse like this Weatherbeeta one:

http://www.goytmill.com/images/_lib/weatherbeeta-fleece-cooler-standard-neck-rug-chocolatepurple-diamond-print-13000661-0-1383410078000.jpg

I really like the idea of the nylon on the shoulder area because it would be more breathable, and because I think it looks nice. :yes:

I have my fleece pieces cut, and now I want to cut out the nylon panels, but I am unsure as to how big I should make them. It’s rather hard to tell from the picture, and then decide how big it needs to be for my cooler.

Some descriptions of the Weatherbeeta cooler say the nylon is to keep the cooler from stretching, other say to prevent shoulder rubbing, and some say both. My question is, exactly how big is this panel? Does anyone have any experience with this design, or similar, and do any of you know how big the panel is? What do you think the purpose of the nylon is? Breath ability, shoulder rubbing, preventing stretching, or all three? Thank you in advance for your help!

I don’t know what WB’s official reasoning for the nylon is, but in my experience the panel slows drying as it doesn’t breathe well at all. I think it does help hold the shape of the cooler’s neck though.

What makes you say nylon isn’t breathable?

Any idea of how large the panel is? I’m really looking for how wide it is across.

Thanks for your help!

The nylon lining I’ve seen in any horse clothing would go from the front closure seam all across the shoulder and slightly wrap around the side.

Nylon is not that breathable. For example, I like WB fly sheets with nylon shoulders because they are kinder to the hair, but the horses may sweat where the nylon is.

I made a cooler about 18 years ago for a now deceased horse. It is heavy duty polar fleece with gros grain ribbon as a trim around the edges. I still have it and use it as a back up cooler. Has not ever stretched out. Still looks pretty and washes well. I don’t like nylon shoulders on coolers. Defeats the purpose.

This is my experience too. It covers the point of the shoulder so the blanket moves easily and does not cause rubs.

To answer OP’s question, the nylon lining runs from front closure to just at or behind the elbow. This also means there’s a section that comes up past the wither. I can’t say specifically what Weatherbeeta coolers have for lining though. I’m going from memory of several lined items over the years.

[QUOTE=BarrelPony;8516191]
What makes you say nylon isn’t breathable?

Any idea of how large the panel is? I’m really looking for how wide it is across.

Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

The fact that my horse takes far longer to dry under the nylon panel than anywhere else under the cooler is a big “the nylon panel doesn’t breathe very well” billboard. :wink:

I took your question to be about the nylon panel on the outside of that WB cooler, but other posters are taking your question to be about the nylon panels inside the cooler over the shoulders. Which is it?

Hi everyone, thanks for your help! What do you think of this idea: I’m thinking of putting that outer liner on to prevent stretching, and then on the inside have the fleece, and a small nylon part the covers the point of the shoulder to prevent rubbing. So there will be a layer of fleece, a layer of nylon, and then in the front area and on the shoulder there is a sandwich of nylon with fleece in between. That makes is really strong where is will need to endure the most stress.

Another idea I have, is to have a front section that is just one layer of nylon, nothing else. Not sure if that would be too weak though. Any thoughts on these two possible designs? Thanks!

I suggest you think about the intended use of the cooler. When you would use it, how often, why you would use it.

My cooler is used on my wet horse when he is in the barn and I want him to dry off. Any nylon is a hindrance for this purpose. I don’t have to worry about rubs because he isn’t moving much, or wearing it for long.

The only other times I use the cooler is when I am taking him to the arena and back again in cold weather. On the trip back I am usually in the process of drying him off (which is why the cooler went out in the first place).

Some people use coolers as part of their blanketing regime. Nylon lined shoulders to prevent rubs are pretty much a necessity in this case. I have a string of reasons why coolers as base layers in a blanket regime are a bad idea and so don’t use them that way.