Unlimited access >

NYT Article About Welsh Mountain Ponies

Nice Article.

4 Likes

I can’t read the article without a subscription. I presume these are the wild-living Carneddau Mountain Ponies? They are endangered and were recognised as a separate breed by the Uni of Aberystwyth only a few years ago. Who knew? The Welsh breed as a whole does very well. Last time I was in Wales I saw famous stud names around every corner, down every lane.

Darn. I thought people could get a few free articles if they make an account.

They don’t mention Carneddau specifically, but these are the feral but managed herds.They are giving the ponies a job carrying packs for tourist hikers. There are some lovely photos too…

The text is also available here (I just found it via a search on Hooftrek):

But they don’t have any of the images (except one generic one). The company’s own web page seems currently non-functional except their “find us” page.
1 Like
1 Like

Thank you. I was able to read this one.

Thank you. Not Carneddau specifically, Black Mountains. Lovely countryside, lovely idea to use the feral ponies. I shall look closely into the Carneddau as it is the first “newly identified pony” I have heard of since the Kerry Bog Pony. The 21st century, in one of the most densely populated countries on the globe, and still a new breed appears.

All the feral ponies running on mountains and moorlands around Britain are at risk and down to low numbers. They are preserved by local farmers largely because generations have always had ponies but they have little to zero commercial value. However, they do have huge value in conservation grazing, preserving unique landscapes. Most ponies are now bred in studs removed from their home terrain and it is a concern of the breed societies that ‘type’ is preserved. Even the New Forest Pony, that lives in a mild climate in Southern England, and is probably the least pony-type of pony, will grow an extra hand of height if taken off the forest as a youngster compared to their feral herd mates.

I think I read too many articles but I do get some NYT update daily thingy so I must have signed up to something.

1 Like

I read this and thought it would be my ex-feral Highland’s dream job.

1 Like