Unlimited access >

October Yearling Sale

This roan Hard Spun was beautiful as well. Ken Mcpeek bought as agent. 100k.

I saw 951 and was very interested-- Goose Martini is a 3/4 sister to my TB event stallion Saketini. Saketini is by Bernardini out of Mining My Business; Goose Martini is by Bernardini out of Saketini’s half sister. It’s quite a successful female family, and if Saketini could run at all he would be breeding race horses instead of sport horses. :slight_smile: But I’m thankful he’s in my barn, and I get to pass on all that class to my future event horses!!

2 Likes

that is wonderful! if the family throws that type of type they are very special

Nice Constitution Colt. Just sold for 215k

[(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDYZRgStWm8)

This Gun Runner - Raucous colt is rather strapping

FTOCT_1528 on Vimeo

I really like the Medaglia D’Oro filly from Spendthrift
FTKOCT22_1552_Rich Mommy 21 on Vimeo

Is it normal to have shoes on at this point? I just noticed she is shod up front.

Yes, all yearlings are shod in front for the sales. For 2 or 3 days, they spend most of the day out walking (showing) for buyers, on crushed limestone, and it can make them footsore. (A footsore horse may not be “lame,” but they may not walk out with a big, swinging overstep walk that buyers want to see.) A few of them absolutely don’t need shoes; a few of them absolutely do; but it’s a “can’t hurt, may help” idea that has been going on forever. Most of them have their shoes pulled (intentionally, or lost in the field!) when they get to their new homes and started under saddle. Some will keep shoes on through training, others will stay barefoot until galloping enough to justify putting shoes back on.

2 Likes

That makes sense

Just catching up to this thread now. Hip 1561 was the Curlin-Rock Jasmine colt that was bred by an acquaintance of mine and had to be scratched from the September sale. Really pleased to see that he sold well for her ($250K).

1 Like

Oh, I remember that you were excited to see your friend’s horse selling and then he was scratched. Very nice colt. What a great outcome!

1 Like