Unlimited access >

Of the high end companies, who makes the LARGEST hunter bridle? Or who does full customs?

I’m in a bit of a pickle. I bought a six year old who is (no word of a lie) measuring at 19.1 and has the most giant head on a non-draft horse I’ve ever encountered. I currently have him in a size 3 Antares and it BARELY fits. Throat latch is on the very last hole, cheek pieces are on the second to last holes (in a pelham, so it definitely wouldn’t fit with a snaffle) and while the noseband fits circumferentially, it is also on close to the last hole in length. And, as an aside, 60" reins are also too short for him; they’re fine when we’re working, but I can’t actually hack him out on the buckle without having to reach forward! He is gorgeous but plain, so I definitely want a fancy stitch, wide noseband bridle for him. I prefer a monocrown and ideally want buckles for the noseband on both sides, but that may be getting too picky. He is also still growing…

Here’s a picture of my baby dinosaur next to my 4’9" pasture fence (and he’s standing below grade by about 4 inches :grimacing:)

4 Likes

I have a Red Barn Wellington that is huge gigantic and was large on my former horse who was an 18.2 ISH with a huge head. Happy to send it for you to try, it’s near new and collecting dust. Reins are only 60 but the QH people like 64+ reins so you should be able to find longer even non custom.

2 Likes

Bartville will make you anything

2 Likes

If none of the above options work, try Hadfields Saddlery. They make beautiful bridles and usually can build you something if it’s necessary to get certain parts larger.

1 Like

I was about to say, Cindy at Hadfields will do custom. And she has a monocrown model and does a chunky 1.5’’ nose band too.

It is costly, but I know it’s an option because we were tinkering around for awhile to figure out a good fit for my guy (who is a big guy in his own right, but not quite 19.1 hands!!).

What you can assure yourself is if you do go full custom, you’ll have something that fits perfectly and should last him his lifetime (provided it’s well taken care of). That takes a little sting out of the credit card spend lol.

Good luck! He looks a handsome, well-put-together dinosaur haha.

1 Like

Fennells Leather in KY and Bartville will custom make according to your measurements.

1 Like

Equusport does custom work. Their bridles are beautiful and made to last!

Wow, if he is still growing, I’d keep an eye out for tusks!

9 Likes

I have an over size Arc de Triomphe Imperial bridle, and it is massive. My 17h, not dainty guy is on the second to top holes and my 17.3h massive jumper (who I bought it for) was still on probably the middle holes. She had a pretty blocky head too. The reins are long enough that they are dangerous to use on anything that should be in a horse-size (I used it on a 16.2h horse with holes punch, and the reins were long enough to get stuck around my stirrup - never again).

Arcs are huge and Bevals are huge too.

1 Like

Was going to say the same - Red Barn’s run huge.

CWDs run big. My 18+ dinosaur (I’m scared to measure him again lol) fits on the lower to mid holes of most of the straps. The sole sticking point is the brow and, which is a bit snug for my taste. I’m getting something custom to match. But I’d rather pay for a single custom brow and than the whole bridle.

Hadfields does beautiful custom strap goods if you’re willing to pay the price. Another custom option is the Legacy custom bridles, I think they are by the Country Saddler? Also the son of Jimmy’s bridles gets great reviews of his custom bridles but I don’t remember the name of his business.

The In Gate.

But neither that nor Hadfields naturally run big.

And he doesn’t do custom.

Bennett’s Hunter Fine Bridles (Jimmy’s son) does gorgeous custom work!

He’s stunning! Vespucci runs quite large, the oversized fit my 18.2 gelding well. Bobby’s also ran large, and their higher end line was quite nice quality for the price. I happen to have a custom 62” belly guard girth I’m looking to move along, in case that might fit him :wink:

But both Hadfields and the Legacy bridles can be fully custom and the OP asked for full custom options as well so either of those would be good possibilities even if the In Gate only does off the rack sizing.

Side question: apologies to the OP… what size mounting blocks are y’all using to get on these dinosaurs?
They are huge!!

1 Like

I know. I’m just pointing out that stock Hadfields is not likely to be big enough.

1 Like

They don’t make reins near long enough, but the CWD size 4 is a very generous bridle. I started buying them when length of noseband crown attachment and browband circumference and ear room (mine are the anatomical crown) were no longer cutting it for my slightly smaller dinosaur. We had lots of holes to spare. The contact bridle (anatomic with dressage style padded wider noseband) is even a little bigger. I think I found long reins from ADT.