off loading knee brace

I have learned a lot about knees over the years having had two right knee arthroscopes. I am now in the queue for a knee replacement but in the mean time I am being fitted with an off loading brace.

evidently most folks lose joint space on the outside of their knee making them bow legged. I have lost joint space on the inside so i need a brace to push my knee out into alignment.

and this explains why riding doesn’t hurt.

I get the brace Thursday. fingers crossed.

I have a Donjon offloading brace. I am down to bone on the medial (inside) of my left knee. I think that the brace is very helpful when I am on my feet for a long time, or when I am standing/walking on hard surfaces. I find it to be pretty comfortable, but I’m not sure I would want to go trekking around Mt. Everest or something like that. I am looking forward to skiing with it this year (my broken leg/smashed meniscus last Nov. kept me from skiing at all last winter). It is pretty visible under “normal” fitting jeans/pants.

Make sure they re-fit you if there are any problems so that it is comfortable, otherwise it’s a waste of $ if you don’t want to wear it.

Good Luck!

I have a DonJoy medial (mine increases the joint space on the inside of my knee, making me more knock-kneed) unloader ( the high strength defiance model). I trekked around Germany and Switzerland as much as I could in it, and an I’m mine any time I leave the house. it takes getting used to, but it works great. I will say, however, although I do manage to play hockey in mine, I can’t even sit in my saddle on a saddle stand. It sounds like yours is a lateral unloaded, so hopefully you won’t have the same problem.

I keep it on until I am tacked up. then I take it off, put on my tall boot and go for a ride. luckily my right knee is the one that needs help so I can mount.