Unlimited access >

Off Topic locked in new forum

Why is Off Topic and Current Events locked for me? Looks like other posters have access. Is there something in my settings I need to change? Do I need to create posts and likes just to get past this roadblock?

I guess I need to go check to see if I can post there. I see posts from there.

Edit to add - I can post there.

It does have a big lock symbol on the forum list, but allows me to read and post even with that lock symbol there.

Thanks for checking! I’ll give it another try. Maybe I couldn’t get in yesterday because in general the new site was having problems. :crossed_fingers:

Off Topic doesn’t even show in the list for me. Can someone tell me why?

Also, why did my user name change alabama to alabama1?

1 Like

Looks like I’m in now. Even liked a post that gave a good summary of the recount rules for the states where vote count may be challenged.

I don’t even see Off Topic? Anybody able to advise how to see it?

In the thread about the added number at the end of some user names Mod1 explains what is going on for some of you.
(Short to technical version - since the software decided to give you a new ID, your ID is not on the list of allowed users yet.)

Edit to add - Here is a link to the post:

1 Like

Off Topic is showing a big padlock on my screen but I was able to post there anyway.
When is COTH going to remove that padlock icon so people will realize they can in fact post in that forum?

The padlock is apparently this software’s way of showing that a forum is restricted (in this case members-only), not that it is locked. It does appear that there’s a way to change the icon, but I’m sure there are more pressing things on the list right now.

They got rid of the default padlock icons last night to help avoid confusion about whether or not those forums are open.

The only people who should probably still be having trouble accessing that forum are those who are still suffering from “spontaneous new account syndrome” where the system mistakenly created a new version of their username due to some email conflicts in our databases, and potentially brand new genuine users.

The developers are going to be fixing both of those issues in the near future.

Thanks!

2 Likes